Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
divajess
Connoisseur
divajess is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 1910, Dell X30H
GMail increases storage capacity to 2 GB, anticipates more

In celebration of the first anniversary of GMail, Google has increased the storage capacity for all GMail users to 2 GB! This is NOT in fact an April Fool's joke, because I logged in to my GMail to find the storage space going up slowly. Currently users are at about 1.4GB and they have a counter steadily going up on the GMail login page.

They have said that this is only the beginning, with plans to roll out even more storage in the future. They have also added great new features like the ability to send 10MB of pictures at a time, fonts, colors, highlighting and their new basic HTML view that supports almost every browser out there.

Thanks GMail, and Happy Birthday!!
divajess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Those are wonderful news. Looks like storage is not an issue of today anymore. 1GB yesterday. 2GB today. 1TB tomorrow?

And whose birthday is it? Google's?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
divajess
Connoisseur

It's the anniversary of GMail, apparently.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
A great day for everyone who needs to archive every e-mail.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of ways to use the GMail storage as online storage, or how to transfer e-mail from other accounts to GMail's archives (Yahoo!,...)? I remember back when GMail was introduced, The Screensavers had a hack on how to use the extra storage, but I didn't have an account at the time so I didn't look into it.

Either that, or perhaps this will prompt Yahoo! to up their e-mail storage limit...
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by divajess
It's the anniversary of GMail, apparently.
I thought that is what you meant, but I couldn't believe the service was one year old already. And still invite-only. Garshhhh.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
divajess
Connoisseur

You can use the GMail Shell Extension for filestorage. It's pretty awesome, though I wish it had a Mac version!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
divajess
Connoisseur

Hmmm, you know, now that I think about it, I wonder if the Linux GMail Shell Extension can be installed on a Mac using fink. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky

The further trials and tribulations of the Mac user...

Thanks for the heads-up, divajess. I knew there was an answer, but I should've known that it was a PC-only thing. But it's so cool that I am now considering how to incorporate it into VPC and get it going for some of my files.

Especially wonderful would be if one could send files by e-mailing links from the account to people (files bigger than the 10MB limit). I just might have to investigate this further.
POL9A
Old 04-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
For Windows, check this wonderful instruction at Engadget.

For Mac users (hi Diva!), check this and especially this (download Gmail Drive (OS X).dmg.zip) link.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
divajess
Connoisseur

Alex, you are my hero. I am so trying that out when I get home from LA next week!
Old 04-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
I thought that is what you meant, but I couldn't believe the service was one year old already. And still invite-only. Garshhhh.
For some reason I had thought the service was no longer in beta and was now open to everyone. I could have sworn I heard that but when I went to the page it still says beta and there's no sign up option. Oh well. It's hard to believe nowadays that anyone who wants an account wouldn't have one.

I have had my account for a while and to be honest I rarely use it. I think I just have been lazy about getting familiar with the interface. More than that though is that I have never really liked using email through a browser. I mainly use Fastmail.fm as an IMAP account with Thunderbird.

Is anyone here using Gmail as their main account? Has it supplanted the other big webmail provicers like Yahoo and Hotmail for you? Interesting how they are following suit increasing features. Although to me storage space is about the least desireable feature as 99% of the email I archive are plain text and take up so little space.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #12
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Heh. up to 2052MB quota and climbing... I wonder how much they're spending on storage (and backups!)

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #13
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatton
Is anyone here using Gmail as their main account? Has it supplanted the other big webmail provicers like Yahoo and Hotmail for you? Interesting how they are following suit increasing features. Although to me storage space is about the least desireable feature as 99% of the email I archive are plain text and take up so little space.
Gmail is my primary mail account since I got it months ago. I check my old Yahoo address periodically, but gmail is the bomb! I love the way it organises my mail, and going back to old fashioned email is a bit of a chore now, I must admit.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #14
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Just remember that anything you put on GMail's storage, whether in email, email attachments, or files copied there with the "GMail Shell Extension", is owned by Google.

Their TOS clearly outlines this. Just be careful.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #15
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky

Gmail is a great service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatton
I have different identities on the internet (personal, 2 businesses) so I can have different accounts for the different newsletters and such that I receive. I don't have to worry about tying up storage space on my hard drive or wondering whether an e-mail is important enough to keep or delete because of the archive feature. And the killer application for me is the POP access so that I don't have to go into the website to check my e-mail. Yahoo! is a bummer in these ways because the free version has the smaller storage (although they felt the Gmail heat and upped it some) so I had to delete certain e-mails and the lack of POP access meant I had to log in to Yahoo! when I wanted to check e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
Just remember that anything you put on GMail's storage, whether in email, email attachments, or files copied there with the "GMail Shell Extension", is owned by Google.
A valuable point to keep in mind.
POL9A