Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #31
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
It was my mistake. I tried 4.19 again and the bug isn't there.
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #32
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I just tried 4.18 and it was working properly there. Then updating to 4.19 and the error wasn't there.
Can 4.20 be downgraded to 4.19 without factory or database reset?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
If you have a backup of your Kobo as it was before you upgraded to 4.20.x, then at worst case, you get back to that point.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Yes, that is safe. I went to 4.18 this time and then back up. But, I have installed 4.19 over 4.20 in the last couple of weeks with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #35
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that is safe. I went to 4.18 this time and then back up. But, I have installed 4.19 over 4.20 in the last couple of weeks with no problems.
Did you try downgrading after a reset or sign out (anything but a full recovery one) while on 4.20? I don't think that one is completely safe due to the dictionary DB changes.

P.S. I can confirm that downgrading works if you originally upgraded from a version below 4.20 and haven't manually deleted the dictionary table.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #36
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Several firmware tweaks in rapid succession....

A sale on Clara and Forma in North America, but only for a few days....

I wonder what Kobo has up its sleeve.
makes me scared, just bought a forma
Scaledish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #37
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are reading kePub because of the slow highlighting, that's no longer an issue. Highlighting was reworked and now works very well with ePub.
page turns? are they faster? hate converting
Scaledish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've not used kepub for over a year. Maybe two. My H2O original and now Libra were fine on page turns with "refresh on every page". The highlighting was much slower on the the Original H2O vs PW3 but speeded up on each FW. On the 4.19.x just before the first 4.20.x it is fine on the Libra.

I'll maybe update the libra on Thursday. The H2O original has the prior FW to this.

The kepubs don't render the same as the same book in epub2 on Kobo or on other readers. Though it varies according to how the css is done. I expect an ordinary ebook to look the same on Kindle PW3, Nook, Kobo, apps etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Scaledish: Last I checked, I still had time to fall asleep between ePub page turns.

Might be faster than it used to, but it's still ridiculously sluggish.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-17-2020 at 05:19 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledish View Post
makes me scared, just bought a forma
Nothing to be scared of. At least Kobo is on the ball and fixing errors they introduced unlike Amazon which continues to push the rather buggy 5.12.4.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledish View Post
page turns? are they faster? hate converting
Page turns for ePub are not too slow. So there's no problem there.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-17-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Crap, we're turning into Reddit! .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Might be faster than it used to, but it's still ridiculously sluggish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Page turns for ePub are not slow. So there's no problem there.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #43
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm still having issues with the wifi. It might be because of the block wifi upgrade patch, but I haven't tested. I will in the next firmware release.

EDIT: That's not it. It connects to the wifi, I can see it on the router, but whenever I try to go online (google or wikipedia) it says:
Sychronization Failed

Last edited by Nemo1984; 03-17-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #44
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Anyone else have issues with orientation correction after waking? I've got my Libra locked to portrait. if I wake it from sleep with the orientation upside down, it won't flip to the correct orientation by itself. I have to turn the device upside down and then back again. I'm pretty sure I never had this issue before 4.20. It's still the case with the latest update.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Did you try downgrading after a reset or sign out (anything but a full recovery one) while on 4.20? I don't think that one is completely safe due to the dictionary DB changes.

P.S. I can confirm that downgrading works if you originally upgraded from a version below 4.20 and haven't manually deleted the dictionary table.
I have been up and down through the recent firmware versions on a couple of my devices with no issues. I haven't needed to do a factory reset on any of them for a while. And when I do, it has been with planning and usually have a backup to replace it. So, it did have the "Dictionary" table.

But, I'm not sure what the problems would be with 4.19 if the Dictionary table didn't exist. From what I have been told, the read-only attribute was being respected well before that. And the Dictionary table was probably only being updated during the download, not when working out what dictionaries existed. Whether that would stop the update or not, I don't know.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware