Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
Literally Cooked Kobo Glo HD

I plugged my reader in to charge this afternoon and came back to it about an hour later. The screen was frozen / unresponsive and there was a spot on the back of the reader that was very hot.

I tried the reset button as well as the power / reset button with no effect.

I took it down to my workbench and pulled the back cover off. I ended up burning my thumb (not too badly) when I touched the small-ish rectangular IC toward the bottom of the reader from the microSD card slot. That's a Ricoh RC5T619, which, according to the Ricoh website is a "power management IC".

I searched the interwebs in general and these forums for a similar topic and didn't come up with anything.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation?
Advice?
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:27 AM   #2
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Same thing happened to mine recently after years of service. Switched the battery a couple of times but battery life was always terrible after that (50% per day) then the USB stopped working so I bought a Forma.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
Thanks. I found one locally on Kijiji here that was a match, but it sold before I got a chance to make an offer.

I'll probably just buy a Clara or a Libra.

Still ... it would be good to resurrect it if I could find one to buy with a broken screen.
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo hd, kobo