Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question bookerly font - space after speech mark for C, K

I came across an apparent bug - confirmed by googling and extra testing - which is that the bookerly font ( and only the bookerly font) will add a space between an opening speech mark and a capital C or K ( but only those two capitalised letters)

i.e."C renders as " C , when there is no extra space in the book source code.

what I did not find was any acknowledgement from Amazon either that this will be fixed, someday, or that they don't care & will not be fixing it.

I turned off that font choice, meanwhile, as it bugs me to keep seeing that artifact.

There is one quite old post on this board, which I did not add to, mindful of the necroposting advice; and a thread somewhere in reddit - does anyone have any up to date info in this please.

I see this on my Kindle Voyage, but it may be a font specific, rather than a device specific issue
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Change the font and see if this glitch still exists. If it does, then it is font specific. I have Bookerly installed on my H2O. I'll look and see if I see such there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i did change the font and the glitch did disappear, that is why I reported it as bookerly specific; and I checked other books and checked the book source code to eliminate it being book-specific.

but it would actually be some interaction between the font and the renderer ? , as it has to be that exact combination of a speech mark followed by a capital C or K

here is the reddit link, which has a helpful image showing the exact issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...acing_issues/?

and the older mobileread thread:
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=262979&page=3
that thread blames kindle firmware

i have not as yet checked for any firmware update for the kindle voyage, i keep it mostly in aeroplane mode - but I can go do that...

...sync finds nothing new - I have firmware 5.6.5.(27303000038) , which is at least one update on from when I bought the kindle last year

UPDATE - the plot thickens- that old thread is discussing converted + sideloaded books which is also what I was using. so I just skipped through a couple of recently-bought-from-amazon books and in those the "C construct is fine.

so there is some other factor involved ?
also, much of that old thread is about the complexities of emailing books via amazon, whereas I am using only USB to get azw books from calibre to voyage. I did try converting to mobi instead, with one test book and observed the same issue, in bookerly.

here is a code example from a sideloaded book where I do see the bug, in bookerly:
<p class="tx">“Can I see it?” Jaynie asks.</p>
where the CSS class declaration is
.tx {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
font-style: normal;
font-variant: normal;
font-weight: normal;

margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;
text-align: justify;
text-indent: 1.5em;

Last edited by stumped; 05-07-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard

UPDATE - so I made a little test book,by converting a word doc, but as I was disconnecting my voyage from calibre after copying that over , the voyage restarted and announced that it had updated itself,

and the newer firmware - 5.7.4. - seems to have fixed it.

wish I'd never mentioned the problem now :-(

Last edited by stumped; 05-07-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pleased to hear that it's fixed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2016, 01:01 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Pleased to hear that it's fixed.
so am I !

strange that the voyage did not tell me it had a firmware update ready to go; so I discover that only because disconnecting /ejecting from calibre causes a restart , which in turn causes an auto-update?
Old 05-08-2016, 02:07 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I was under the impression that there was a bug like that, specific to any firmware, any font, but only for the legacy MOBI format.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

that must be some other bug ?

This was definitely bookerly only (a change of font on the kindle from within the book would remove it/ bring it back) and it was with converts from epub to azw3 made in calibre then USB loaded. ( not emailed to amazon ).

if you backtrack up to the reddit discussion link , that in turn links to an excellent side by side picture of the "bug" being present in bookerly and not present for the same page in some other font

I think, from reading the older mobileread thread, that having text-align: justified; in the paragraph css could have been the trigger. I could not find an example of the behaviour in a bought-from-amazon book + downloaded-directly-to Kindle book and I hypothesise that amazon's own original css does not typically include such declarations

but for me the issue has now disappeared with the latest firmware, in the books I am reading and in the little test epub I made
Code:
<body class="calibre">

<p class="block_">Test book</p>

<p class="block_">“Alpha”</p>

<p class="block_">“Bravo”</p>

<p class="block_">“Charlie”</p>

<p class="block_">“Delta”</p>

<p class="block_1">*</p>

</body>

Last edited by stumped; 05-08-2016 at 12:04 PM.