Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
akita
akita began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini retina
EPUB to MOBI, kindle shows extra space after quotation mark

Hi all,
I have a bit of a bizzare issue and was hoping someone can shed some light on this one.

I just bought a Kindle Paperweight 2015 version. I also use Calibre. I have bunch of books in .EPUB that I converted to .MOBI, and uploaded the files to Kindle via USB.

the file shows fine, and the conversion looks fine.. but I noticed that for every leading quote followed by a capital C, Kindle shows extra space between the two. All other letters following the leading quote has no space.

so instead of
"Captain"
it shows
" Captain"

I looked at the MOBI file that is on my computer using Calibre, and strangely enough, the extra spacing does not exist when I display it using Calibre. but the same file viewed within Kindle after being uploaded, I get extra space, in combination with " and C.

I don't know if this means there's some control character that is being inserted in the " and C combination during the translation, or it's some bizzare Kindle bug when dealing with MOBI files generated by Calibre. so far I have noticed this pattern in at least 2 of the books.

I would be willing to edit the .MOBI file with search/replace, but since the extra space doesn't show up when viewed in Calibre, I'm not sure what to look for now.

and I don't know if this is Kindle problem or some translation problem between EPUB and MOBI.

any clue?
akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by akita View Post
I have bunch of books in .EPUB that I converted to .MOBI, and uploaded the files to Kindle via USB.
MOBI is the old Kindle format. Select AZW3 as the output format for better results

Quote:
[...]but I noticed that for every leading quote followed by a capital C, Kindle shows extra space between the two.
Some epub books use special styles that'll display initial quotation marks as drop caps and/or in a larger/different font. I.e., the space might have come from a style (possibly via a pseudo selector) or a hard-coded non-breaking space.

Please post the HTML code and the relevant styles of a sentence where this problem occurs.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
gnargnar
gnargnar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
So I'm experiencing this same problem with spaces being added between quotation marks and capital letter Cs and Ks.

I'm converting a docx to mobi with Calibre and then emailing it to my Kindle Paperwhite. The spaces don't show up on my computer previewer, in Word, or even in the overview when I highlight the issue and then go through my "notes" in the Paperwhite.

I've tried deleting and retyping the offending letters, I've tried converting to epub first, I've inspected the "normal" style that they are all under, and I've checked all the Calibre settings I can think of. It's only Capital letter Cs and Ks that aren't italicized so I'm guessing it has something to do with the style, but I can't figure out anything that would only apply to those two letters and only in the Paperwhite.

Some HTML:

/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-unhide:no;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
text-indent:.5in;
line-height:120%;
mso-pagination:none;
mso-layout-grid-align:none;
text-autospace:none;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New";}

From an offending sentence:

<p class=MsoNormal>“Come on baby, let’s go,” he was saying.</p>

Last edited by gnargnar; 11-02-2015 at 03:46 PM.
gnargnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't convert to Mobi. Convert to KF8 (AZW3). It just is a much better format than Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
gnargnar

Thanks, but I can't e-mail AZW3 files to the paperwhite though. I tried that already :/
Advert
Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
gnargnar

I've converted it to AZW3 and it does get rid of the issue, but even if I then take that AZW3 file and convert it to mobi so I can email it it adds the spaces back in. ????
Old 11-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Try renaming the extension of the AZW3 to MOBI and then send it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
gnargnar

Just tried that. No dice.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Renaming the extension doesn't change the file contents and Amazon isn't that buggy that they won't notice. They'd think it's corrupted at least.

Convert to dual-MOBI
Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Output Options ==> MOBI Output (tab)
MOBI file type -- set to "both" in the dropdown.

You can also use Amazon's official tool "kindlegen" which always outputs these.

This creates a file with both KF8 (AZW3) and a mobi7 fallback.
Amazon's Personal Document Service accepts these dual-MOBIs and will deliver an AZW3 to newer devices.
Sending a plain old AZW3 will not work.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you are using calibre to convert, just use the USB cable to connect the Kindle to your computer and transfer the KF8 eBook. Why do you need to email the eBook when you get an obsolete format?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you are using calibre to convert, just use the USB cable to connect the Kindle to your computer and transfer the KF8 eBook. Why do you need to email the eBook when you get an obsolete format?
For the same reason so many other people email them, as you very well know.
Annotations sync is, after all, pretty much the sole reason the PDOC service exists.

Plus, you don't get an obsolete format if you do it right.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:40 AM   #12
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnargnar View Post
Thanks, but I can't e-mail AZW3 files to the paperwhite though. I tried that already :/
Yes, I began using mobis for that reason, because there's no Azw3 option in Send to Kindle. (About the only time I ever use Calibre is to convert an epub from the university library so I can read it on my Fire tablet instead of sitting at my computer. I must say that I have NEVER seen the effect you describe. These of course are books from mainstream publishers or university presses.)

I would never upload a Calibre-generated file to the KDP for publication, if that's your purpose. They are sometimes rejected by the KDP. Instead, I'd run that Word file through word2cleanhtml dot com online (there are other options for that, including plug-ins), then open it in Sigil for formatting. The KDP accepts epubs without a whimper.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
and I don't know if this is Kindle problem or some translation problem between EPUB and MOBI.

any clue?
Use KindleUnpack on the problematic Mobi and you'll be able to see the HTML coding that's been applied. This will tell you whether it's a conversion problem or a Kindle problem.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
gnargnar

Converting to "both" mobi worked! Thank you so much.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnargnar View Post
Converting to "both" mobi worked! Thank you so much.
You're welcome. Happy to help.