Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
reneemitt
reneemitt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3g+wifi
Games and WiFi Only or 3G questions...

I can't find this answered anywhere, so thought I'd ask...

I am debating between the 3G and Wifi-only Nooks. Like a previous poster, I keep thinking - it's $50 more for the 3G version - just go ahead and spend it, but then I think if I don't need it, what's the point.

Anyways - I've seen some comments about the games also on the nook being a battery drain - do they connect up via wifi or 3G, is that why? Is it the amount of eInk they use? Can you do games with 3G and/or Wifi turned off?

I live in a decent metro area (Omaha, NE) - did a search for Att WIFI spots in my area and came up with about 5 on my side of town, don't plan to download a lot on the fly but might possibly. Never know.

Any Omaha area nook users have thoughts on Wifi vs 3G?
reneemitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
It's not that they use the WiFi or 3G that drains the battery. It is that you are using the LCD screen for the input to the game.
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
peecherr
peecherr began at the beginning.

Device: none
I live in Papillion and I just switched to the Wifi-only Nook. I rarely used the 3g unless I was downloading a book at work, so I figured the extra $50 wasn't worth it to me. Unless you do a lot of travelling and aren't going to be guaranteed wifi access, I would just get the Nook lite. I keep mine in airplane mode to save battery time...which I highly recommend.
peecherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
reneemitt
reneemitt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3g+wifi
Peecherr - do you just use just hook up to your home wifi then?

Fincary - I didn't think about that - with the pesky LCD screen. That makes sense then. Probably should just use my Palm TX for my games and leave the nook for reading...

Now to just talk my hubby into letting me get one SOON. I'm so impatient!
reneemitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
cunningjim
cunningjim began at the beginning.

Device: nook-wifi
My wife bought the 3G+wifi; I ordered the wifi-only. No difference in loaded features; hers has a dark gray cover, mine is white. At home we can't tell the difference. And we share one account so we share all books purchased.

Jim
cunningjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
peecherr
peecherr began at the beginning.

Device: none
I use it at home and I also go to Barnes and Noble. The one out at Oakview is best, because they have lots of comfy chairs! I have also connected at a few restaurants and the local Starbucks. I normally do my browsing on Barnes and Noble's website and then let my Nook upload the books when I get a wifi connection.
peecherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
JDługosz
JDługosz is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
My thoughts in the store is that the 3G version is heavier as well, and it's only good for buying their books. If push comes to shove, just use a separate mobile hotspot. It's just an internal card anyway; you can probably buy it later through Parts or find the exact model number and get it elsewhere.
JDługosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I have the 3G and never use it. If Wi-Fi only had been an option at the time I would have bought it.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote