Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
A simpler reader?

I'm really struggling to find a suitable reader for my MSI Wind netbook. My ideal app would default to a fullscreen display with no GUI, letting me load files and adjust preferences via the context menu and hotkeys. Paragraph indents, spacing, and per-page word count would approximate an actual page in a book (this might be an issue w/ the files in some cases; so far I've only tried free ebooks, as I'm experimenting). And of course, it would be able to do all this for most common file formats.

I definitely don't need an iTunes-like "library." I'm probably going to be opening the same file, or maybe up to three different files, for a week or more. Why would I want it to index every book on my hard drive every time it opens? As long as it remembers the last file I used, I'm golden.

Is there anything out there remotely like this? I checked the wiki, and it suggests there's not
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I suggest you try Stanza, as it has a neat full-screen mode with adjustable columns, which I find to be easier to read than text going across the entire width of the screen.
Available for Mac and PC - not sure what your netbook is running on.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Two possibilities are FBReader and uBook. Both are very customizable and have a full screen mode. It is a bit out of date, but Visual Tour of FBReader on a Pepper Pad 3 shows how to customize FBReader. The best of the single format ebook readers is Windows MobiPocket Reader, which is again very customizable.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I suggest you try Stanza, as it has a neat full-screen mode with adjustable columns, which I find to be easier to read than text going across the entire width of the screen.
Available for Mac and PC - not sure what your netbook is running on.
Thanks, it's next on my list to try =) I'm actually looking for something that will make maximal use of my screen real estate in portrait orientation, for more of a book-like experience, though I do find landscape more comfy in bed.

I'm running XP on my Wind.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior

And the winner is: FBReader (so far).

I tried Stanza on 4 different formats (rich text, html, .lit and .pdf) of the same book and all of them ended up with spaces separating each paragraph: definitely a dealbreaker. As far as I could tell, rotation was not available and there were few options for customization.

Mobipocket was okay, but again no apparent rotation and it would require conversion of my current files.

I tried Calibre earlier today, too, and it had the same issues as Stanza, plus it was much slower loading, unintuitive and, well, ugly.

FBReader isn't perfect--it doesn't cover the proprietary formats (.lit, .pdf, .mobi), and while it kept the paragraph indents and didn't add extra spaces, it also ditched the spaces at chapter breaks. Still, I had my book loaded, fullscreen, rotated and readably formatted with custom key bindings inside of two minutes--that's what I call intuitive! It also loads up quickly with an inviting interface.

Thanks for the recommendation, wallcraft =)
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
FBReader isn't perfect--it doesn't cover the proprietary formats (.lit, .pdf, .mobi), and while it kept the paragraph indents and didn't add extra spaces, it also ditched the spaces at chapter breaks.
I agree that it does not consistently add a page break on chapter start, it does do this with some formats but not others.

It does read DRM-free MOBI (strip DRM with mobidedrm), and it reads OEB ebooks which can easily be made from LIT (DRMed or DRM-free, use "ConvertLIT GUI" to extract the OEB from the LIT container file, then point FBReader to the .opf file).

For DRM-free PDF I like Foxit Reader, which has a rotation option. Or you can try converting them to MOBI (say) using Calibre or Windows MobiPocket Reader. This sometimes works well, but not with all PDFs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote