Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 AM   #301
The_Immortal
Connoisseur
The_Immortal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD, KOBO AURA ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
Is there a particular reason you want these formats instead of another format?
Yup. I have a lot of doc/docx files and they are hardly convertable to other formats.

Last edited by The_Immortal; 12-11-2018 at 03:47 AM.
The_Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 AM   #302
DezReads
DezReads began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (Version 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
One last question: what's the initial rotation value?
The image does match my device and description.
The initial Rotate Value when i started Plato was 90, so the ui was upside down.
DezReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #303
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Immortal View Post
Guys, could you tell me please:

1. Does the recent Plato support MS Office Word formats .rtf/.doc/.docx) and F2B? Will be happy to see their support!

2. Is there instuction how to build the recent version of Plato under Windows? I found the instruction for Ubuntu only.

Thank you!
  1. Read
  2. VM
Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #304
The_Immortal
Connoisseur
The_Immortal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD, KOBO AURA ONE
Could someone please provide the ready binaries of the latest release?

Thank you!
The_Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:18 AM   #305
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Immortal View Post
Could someone please provide the ready binaries of the latest release?
Here and github.
Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #306
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Plato 0.6.1

I've released 0.6.1.

The screen rotation should work fine now, on the Aura H₂O and the Aura H₂O Edition 2 Version 2. Please check that:
  • The initial rotation is correct.
  • You can successfully switch from 90 to 270, or 0 to 180.
  • The rotation gesture rotates the screen in the correct direction.

I stumbled upon a segmentation fault while using 0.6.0 but was unable to reproduce ever since. As a consequence, I have enabled core dumps on both my devices. If you want to help track down the bug, add the following line in plato.sh, before the line that starts Plato:
Code:
ulimit -c unlimited
And use the release binary with debug symbols and the corresponding version of libmupdf.so enclosed in plato-0.6.1-debug.zip. If Plato crashes, you will find a file named core alongside the binary: post it here zipped.

List of other changes:
  • Add default styles for sub and sup.
  • Parse BISAC Subject Headings present in dc:subject.
  • Update thirdparty dependencies: MuPDF (master branch at cf039bea), libpng 1.6.36, jbig2dec 0.15, freetype 2.9.1, HarfBuzz 2.1.0.

Last edited by baskerville; 12-14-2018 at 11:37 AM.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #307
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
There is a plato.sh that you would have after moving the plato folder into .adds. You could try running that from KSM.
How do you navigate to it in KSM and run it?
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #308
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
How do you navigate to it in KSM and run it?
Install this patch of KSM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #309
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I chose Install Partial Update. (No idea which one I should have chosen, because there was no mention of it.)

The question remains: Where is Plato in KSM? Where do I see it? How do I open it?

Edit: I'm passionately burning to try this thing, but I find the instructions disjointed and incomplete, practically illegible. It's still a long way until an average person can try this app.

Last edited by mobama; 12-14-2018 at 09:37 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #310
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
I chose Install Partial Update. (No idea which one I should have chosen, because there was no mention of it.)

The question remains: Where is Plato in KSM? Where do I see it? How do I open it?

Edit: I'm passionately burning to try this thing, but I find the instructions disjointed and incomplete, practically illegible. It's still a long way until an average person can try this app.
You need KSM 9 with all updates and the above mentioned patch installed. You also have to copy the folder "plato" (which you can find in the package provided by Baskerville) into the folder ".adds". After restarting the device you should then see a new entry "start plato" on the first page of KSM.

Edit: More recent version of plato do not contain the folder plato inside the archive. You have to create the folder yourself under .adds, and then copy the content of the plato archive into it.

Last edited by tshering; 12-14-2018 at 03:22 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #311
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@baskerville: Still a no go on the inverted switches . As I mentioned earlier, the ioctl do fire and return *successfully*, but to no effect.

My strace build doesn't decode fbio ioctls content, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the ioctl content. I can either whip up a quick C test-case to double-check, of if you can add logging around the ioctl calls, that'd be helpful too .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #312
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@baskerville: Still a no go on the inverted switches . As I mentioned earlier, the ioctl do fire and return *successfully*, but to no effect.
Thanks, well, I'm just resending the ioctl call until the read value changes (and stop after 3 failures).

I will try to send an intermediate value instead.

Quote:
]If you can add logging around the ioctl calls, that'd be helpful too .
I'm logging the written and read value, so you should see messages of the form Framebuffer rotation: X -> Y in info.log where X is the written value and Y the read value.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #313
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@baskerville: Oops, missed the logging, my bad .

I was under the impression only the ioctl return value was effectively checked, since rotation() only pulls the "cached" rotate value, it doesn't do a new GET. But I only skimmed through that, so I may have missed it .

I'll do another round of tests .
Old 12-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #314
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
I was under the impression only the ioctl return value was effectively checked, since rotation() only pulls the "cached" rotate value, it doesn't do a new GET.
The ioctl call mutates self.var_info.

I've attached a test binary that takes a different approach: if writing n fails, then I write (n+1)%4 and finally n.
Attached Files
File Type: zip plato-0.6.1-test.zip (1.49 MB, 125 views)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #315
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@baskerville: We (roughly) came to the same conclusion .

Turns out it really, really doesn't like it when swapping between inverted layouts in the *same* orientation layout.

The ioctls happily go through, and return successfully, but the rotation doesn't actually happen.

Attached a C testcase .

TL;DR: if the value to be set is equal to the current rotate value, go through an intermediary rotation to do an initial portrait/landscape swap (i.e., (n+1)%4).

EDIT: And here's what it spouts on my H2O:

Code:
Variable fb info: 1080x1440, 32bpp @ rotation: 1 (Clockwise, 90°)
Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 6684672 bytes & line length: 4352 bytes

FB_ROTATE_UR to FB_ROTATE_CCW, +1 increments
Setting rotate to 0 (Upright, 0°)
Rotate is now 2 (Upside Down, 180°)
Variable fb info: 1440x1080, 32bpp @ rotation: 2 (Upside Down, 180°)
Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 6684672 bytes & line length: 5760 bytes
Setting rotate to 1 (Clockwise, 90°)
Rotate is now 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
Variable fb info: 1080x1440, 32bpp @ rotation: 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 6684672 bytes & line length: 4352 bytes
Setting rotate to 2 (Upside Down, 180°)
Rotate is now 0 (Upright, 0°)
Variable fb info: 1440x1080, 32bpp @ rotation: 0 (Upright, 0°)
Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 6684672 bytes & line length: 5760 bytes
Setting rotate to 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
Rotate is now 1 (Clockwise, 90°)

FB_ROTATE_UR to FB_ROTATE_CCW, +2 increments

FB_ROTATE_CW to FB_ROTATE_CCW, +2 increments

FB_ROTATE_UR to FB_ROTATE_CCW, +2 increments, intermerdiary rota if ==
Intermerdiary rotation...
Requested rotation
Rotate is now 0 (Upright, 0°)
Variable fb info: 1440x1080, 32bpp @ rotation: 0 (Upright, 0°)

FB_ROTATE_CW to FB_ROTATE_CCW, +2 increments, intermerdiary rota if ==
Intermerdiary rotation...
Requested rotation
EDIT²: I wasn't convinced we could trust PUT_V not to mangle rotate without an extra GET_V to confirm, but, yeah, you're right, that works .
Attached Files
File Type: gz kobo-test-rota.tar.gz (5.9 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-14-2018 at 05:09 PM.