Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
enigma2k
enigma2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kindle Oasis - do they all have a yellow tinted screen?

Hello,

I've already had 3 Oasis and all of them have a yellow tinted screen. Compared to my voyage the display looks much warmer due to the yellow tint and the contrast is also worse since the black can't pop off the the yellow screen.

The Voyage has a much brighter and whiter display right next to it. It has a cold blue tint to it and the contrast is also better since the display looks almost white.

Is it possible that all Oasis have this yellow tinted screen? Maybe Amazon does this on purpose since reading on a warm screen at night is better for the eyes.

Would be interesting if someone got a non-yellow Oasis screen.
enigma2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
After getting 3 different ones maybe you need to return for refund.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My Oasis screen looks almost identical to my Voyage screen, as far as tone goes. They are both white, neither yellow or overly blue. I can't compare to another Oasis or Voyage as I don't know anyone that has them. But I don't see yellow on either of them. More neutral I guess.

But the screens look really very close on my devices. Same contrast, same back round color.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My Oasis looks yellow with the frontlight set at zero or very low. I usually read with the frontlight at level 8 and the screen looks white that way. But then, I read under a lamp (at night) or a window (in daylight), never in darkness or in some dim corner. Perhaps the screen looks yellow when there is no sufficient ambient light, I cannot say.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Mine looks kind of greenish grey when I turn the light too low. During the day that is. Kind of like the older kindles looked when it was a bit dreary out. I so love having that light now. During day, inside, blinds closed or open, I am at 10-11. At night in bed I put it on 9, but I still have a side lamp. My eyes would hurt otherwise. But if I go in a total dark room, say bathroom and there I can turn it to 8 maybe. I still don't see yellow though. In total dark on lower settings its more grey-ish.

Any light on mine makes the screen appear white during the day so that is why it looks white 99% of the time for me.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have to say that with the frontlight off, both my Voyage and my Oasis look considerably worse than any of my Basic Kindles. Perhaps it's the Carta screen vs the Pearl screen. With the frontlight on, they both look considerably better than the Basics, of course.

As to the contrast issue, I can see that the Voyage has sharper, more "popping" text than the Oasis only when I put them side-to-side. Otherwise I don't notice the difference. The Oasis certainly has good enough contrast for me personally.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I have to say that with the frontlight off, both my Voyage and my Oasis look considerably worse than any of my Basic Kindles. Perhaps it's the Carta screen vs the Pearl screen.
No, it's the light diffuser for the frontlight. Makes the screen a bit fuzzier than devices without it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Some of the PW screens were rather yellow, as I recall. One of the ladies who posts in MR described it as looking like someone peed on her screen! And yes, the light diffusion layer is causing the colors and shadows. You never know what you will get with a light diffusion layer. Some units are way better than others. I never got a PW that was worth keeping, but my Voyage was okay, barely.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have a Voyage with a bluish white screen and great contrast. I had 2 Oasis devices that I returned because of cone shadows on the side with the LEDs. The screens on both devices were warmer than my Voyage, but not yellow and one had a minimal color shift. The main difference for me was that my Voyage has better contrast. The Voyage I have I got after 3 tries. The first 3 Voyages had screens that had significant color shifts and were yellowish at the top. I think there is a lot of variation in screens on both the Oasis and the Voyage and getting a good screen is luck of the draw.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, Kindle PaperWhite
Definitely the screen is warmer, I took delivery of my Oasis recently and put side by side with my Voyage, the Voyage I would say has a more crisp white (or blue white) and the Oasis is a slightly warmer shade. Set both to brightness 24 which is what I like to read at on the Voyage, the Oasis is slightly brighter by about 2-3 notches on the brightness scale, most likely due to the additional LED's 10 on Oasis vs 6 on Voyage. Initially when I compared the displays out of the box it did bother me for a few seconds but I've got used to it now and it doesn't bother me. I think the slight yellow look on brighter settings is how it was designed. Would I love one that had the crisp white/blue tint like the Voyage has? Definitely, but I suspect there's a lot out there that also would prefer the yellow tint more.
DaveFalcon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
Hap&Leonard
Hap&Leonard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi everyone!
I'm having troubles with my Oasis: the first one I got has color shifts and left side of the screen is yellowish. So, I called amazon customer service and asked for a replacement. Today I found it in my mail, but it looks quite similar to the other one. The contras is better, though. Overall, the screen (in both of them) is way warmer than my paperwhite's (3rd gen.), but that is not a problem, what is bothering me is the color shifts from white to yellow.

Can I post here a photo and see what you think about it?
In your experience, am I entitled to get a third replacement if I don't feel comfortable with the replace they just sent me? It would be the third Oasis... Of course I'm going to return the one(s) I'm not happy with.
Hap&Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap&Leonard View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm having troubles with my Oasis: the first one I got has color shifts and left side of the screen is yellowish. So, I called amazon customer service and asked for a replacement. Today I found it in my mail, but it looks quite similar to the other one. The contras is better, though. Overall, the screen (in both of them) is way warmer than my paperwhite's (3rd gen.), but that is not a problem, what is bothering me is the color shifts from white to yellow.

Can I post here a photo and see what you think about it?
In your experience, am I entitled to get a third replacement if I don't feel comfortable with the replace they just sent me? It would be the third Oasis... Of course I'm going to return the one(s) I'm not happy with.

Absolutely, you can post a photo, as long as it doesn't violate our Posting Guidelines. (A link is provided at the bottom of very page.)

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #13
Hap&Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Absolutely, you can post a photo, as long as it doesn't violate our Posting Guidelines. (A link is provided at the bottom of very page.)

Don
(Moderator)
Thank you, Dr. Drib!
I hope I did it in the right way...!
So, here comes the photo... What do you guys think?
P.s. I'm sorry for mistakes and errors in my english, I'm writing from Europe and english is not my first language...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3006.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	151431  
Old 09-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It looks normal to me, but some people are more sensitive to colour variations than others. Your screen looks fine to me, but you're the one who has to live with it, not me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
Hap&Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It looks normal to me, but some people are more sensitive to colour variations than others. Your screen looks fine to me, but you're the one who has to live with it, not me.
It's true that some people are more sensitive to colour variations, but trust me, with this unit and the previous one I already sent back to Amazon, it is pretty annoying to read in the dark. Since I read mostly on my bed during the night, this is a problem to me.

Today I ordered a new one, hoping that this won't have the same problem (it would be the 3rd in a week). If this one will get colour shifts or a yellowish screen, than I will ask for a refund and stick with my paperwhite (which has a really clean white screen, with no shifts at all)...

If I can, I will post a photo of the Oasis and the PW, side by side and with lights out.