Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #1546
Ptitboul
Ptitboul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Dear all, please excuse me if this was already asked before, but I did not go through the more than a hundred pages of messages :-(

It is possible to use a new Kobo without going through the whole registration procedure, by adding a dummy entry in the "user" table of the SQLite database, as described for example at http://justanotherdave.ca/?p=341
I am able to do this myself, but I think that it will be useful to have it integrated in calibre. People that don't know what SQLite is could follow a simple process for the installation of a new Kobo. This process would look like:
- install calibre on your computer
- install the "Kobo Utilites" plugin
- connect you new Kobo to your computer with an USB cable
- click on the "dummy register" button in calibre

Do you think that this could be added to the plugin?
Ptitboul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:26 AM   #1547
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Ptitboul: Sorry, I have absolutely no interest in adding that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #1548
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
To eliminate the possibility of an extra, unseen, space, I did a bulk metadata edit, forcing all of them to be "The Expanse". I then renumbered them all, connected the device and ran an update. The result was the same as previously. Then I ran it in debug mode and tried another series update. No change.
I can't see anything wrong in that log. Everything is as I would expect. And I would have expected it to sort correctly. The only thing I can think of is to look at the database. There is another column that could be being used for sorting that the plugin doesn't set. When I look at my database, it shouldn't be affecting sorting for sideloaded books. It could be having an affect if there is a purchased book, but, I'm not sure.

I'd like to look at the database. The best thing would be to take a copy and upload it somewhere. Then send me a PM with the link. Or, if you would prefer to email it, send me a PM for an address to use.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #1549
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

David, that's a very gracious offer, thank you so much. However, I think that it would be an unwarranted imposition on your time for such a trifling issue, especially as my own situation means I'll be doing less recreational reading for the next few weeks. Meat Loaf taught my generation that 2 out of 3 ain't bad, so I'm sure I can live with 8/9. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #1550
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
David, that's a very gracious offer, thank you so much. However, I think that it would be an unwarranted imposition on your time for such a trifling issue, especially as my own situation means I'll be doing less recreational reading for the next few weeks. Meat Loaf taught my generation that 2 out of 3 ain't bad, so I'm sure I can live with 8/9. Thanks again.
There is no imposition. I am curious about what is happening. I haven't seen any problems like this, so would like to look. If I can fix it and prevent it happening to others, all the better.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #1551
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There is no imposition. I am curious about what is happening. I haven't seen any problems like this, so would like to look. If I can fix it and prevent it happening to others, all the better.
OK, could you PM me instructions on how to send you the database?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #1552
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, could you PM me instructions on how to send you the database?
The database is in the .kobo directory. The file is called "KoboReader.sqlite". Just zip that up, upload it somewhere and PM me the link. Any of the web-storage sites should be OK to use.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #1553
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Sent, with thanks
Old 12-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #1554
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I have had a look at the database, and I cannot see what is going on. The series name and index have the expected values. The other series related column has zero for all values, so should not be affecting things.

So, I don't know what is happening. If you are using "Series" as the sort order for a list on the device, it should work. I can't think of anything else to try.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #1555
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, I don't know what is happening. If you are using "Series" as the sort order for a list on the device, it should work. I can't think of anything else to try.
Yes, I am using "Series" as the sort order on my Kobo. Thank you very much for trying to solve this enduring little mystery
Old 12-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #1556
Samanthaaaa
Samanthaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hey!

I've used Google to try and find an answer, but to no avail. If this has previously appeared in this thread, then I apologise beforehand.

I am trying to sync from Calibre my 'Read' column, which currently has a checkmark against the books I have finished.

I would like to sync this data to my Kobo H2O so that my finished books all say 'finished'.

From what I have read I believe this is possible.

Can someone please tell me how I do this? As in what steps exactly I need to take to make this column readable to my Kobo.

Thanks.
Samanthaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #1557
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthaaaa View Post
Hey!

I've used Google to try and find an answer, but to no avail. If this has previously appeared in this thread, then I apologise beforehand.

I am trying to sync from Calibre my 'Read' column, which currently has a checkmark against the books I have finished.

I would like to sync this data to my Kobo H2O so that my finished books all say 'finished'.

From what I have read I believe this is possible.

Can someone please tell me how I do this? As in what steps exactly I need to take to make this column readable to my Kobo.
The plugin has three ways to set the reading status of books. Firstly there is the metadata update, which works on the books selected in the library. This includes a reading status update. The second is on the device list and can set the status. Again, it works on the selected books.

The last, and probably the one you want, is the "Store/Restore current bookmark" function. That can automatically fetch the current reading status for all books in the library that are on the device. You can also restore that status to the device whenever you want. The status is stored in three columns: percent read, last read and reading location. They aren't all mandatory, so it depends on what you want to do. If you have all three, you can restore the current reading position after a factory reset, or copy it to another Kobo devices.

The percent read can be treated as the overall status. If the book is finished, this gets set to 100. If you want to set the status on the device, then any book with 100% read will be set as finished. Zero or not set will be treated as "Unread" and anything in between gets set to "Reading" and that percent read.

How to do this is in the help. I'll make no claims that the help is perfect, but, I recommend looking at it and then asking questions for anything that is not clear.

But, how to do this also depends on what you are actually trying to achieve. If the purpose is that you have just gotten a new Kobo device, and want to put all your books on it and mark some as read and then read new books on the device, then the Metadata update is the way to start. That's a one-off status update. If you then plan to use the Kobo as your primary reading device, then automating status fetch is the best way to do it. And then manually syncing back anything read elsewhere. If the Kobo is not to be the main device, exactly what to do will depend on what you really need.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #1558
MauriceH
MauriceH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Begging for assistance

Hi there.
When I start Calibre now, I get an error message:

calibre, version 3.35.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1831, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 186, in get_database_version
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j1n8vs\apsw-3.23.1-r1\src\cursor.c", line 1019, in APSWCursor_execute.sqlite3_prepare
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j1n8vs\apsw-3.23.1-r1\src\statementcache.c", line 386, in sqlite3_prepare
CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

I can no longer access my Kobo Aura One on my PC and Calibre.
I can mount the device as a USB drive and read the directory.

May I ask for any suggestions to fix this?
MauriceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:52 AM   #1559
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceH View Post
Hi there.
When I start Calibre now, I get an error message:

calibre, version 3.35.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1831, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 186, in get_database_version
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j1n8vs\apsw-3.23.1-r1\src\cursor.c", line 1019, in APSWCursor_execute.sqlite3_prepare
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j1n8vs\apsw-3.23.1-r1\src\statementcache.c", line 386, in sqlite3_prepare
CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

I can no longer access my Kobo Aura One on my PC and Calibre.
I can mount the device as a USB drive and read the directory.

May I ask for any suggestions to fix this?
That says the database on the device is corrupt. The fix is to restore a recent backup or signout of the Kobo account on the device and then follow the setup. Unfortunately, that will mean you lose the reading status and bookmarks for any sideloaded books.

Note: The error is not happening in this plugin. That is part of driver trying to get a list of books.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #1560
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I upgraded my H@O2's firmware half an hour ago, and when I plugged it in and opened calibre, I got this amazing error notification:
"calibre, version 3.35.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 149.
Device firmware version: (4, 12, 12111)"

I say amazing because it was clear and helpful and explanatory, thanks! I wanted to ask if, "HSD" warning notwithstanding, there is any real risk to selecting the "attempt to support newer firmware" option in the extended driver?

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities