Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Forma have the wedge-side light issue?
No wedge-side light issue 20 15.87%
Have wedge-side light issue, but living with the issue 72 57.14%
Have wedge-side light issue, seeking warranty replacement 14 11.11%
Have wedge-side light issue, returning for refund 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #31
squiresque
Enthusiast
squiresque began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Alita
returned forma, factory reset did not work

Prior to returning my Forma for a refund, a process that involved travel, tolls, and borders, I confirmed that factory reset does not eliminate the shaded border bar anomaly.

My preference for reading the Forma compared to the Kindle Oasis 2 was almost significant enough to motivate me to make the attempt to overlook the defect. I might have gone that route had corporate Kobo, who is surely aware of the problem, been up front about the defect, and had provided useful information about the possibility of having the defect fixed in the future through firmware or software updates.

The notion that the lighting anomaly is a side-effect of factory testing strikes me as bizarre. If so, the correct conclusion is that the unit has *failed* the factor test.
squiresque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #32
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Walmart refunded my first Forma rather than processing a warranty return. They issued me a gift card, and I used that to purchase a second Forma once they got them back in stock.

The second Forma has the same wedge-side light issue. I know the issue is there, I occasionally notice it if I glance at the far right margin, but when reading it isn't noticeable.

I think I'll read with it for a while and see how it goes.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:32 AM   #33
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Device: Kobo H2O
I just received my Forma today and has the light issue. On top of that, the tone of the light is also uneven across the screen from the left to right.
It was forwarded to me from Chapters CA through US to Singapore so I'm at a loss for what to do.
I love the form factor of the Forma but it's a huge hassle to return it for a replacement or refund. I don't think I can live with this issue though.

My old H2O v1 also has a lighting issue which I've lived with for years.
Oh Kobo.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #34
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
I just received my Forma today and has the light issue. On top of that, the tone of the light is also uneven across the screen from the left to right. ...
My old H2O v1 also has a lighting issue which I've lived with for years.
Oh Kobo.
My H2O v1 has perfect lighting. I marvel at how pristine it is. It tells me that Kobo can (eventually, if it tries hard) get things right. I believe I bought mine towards the end of the H2O manufacturing run, so maybe there'd been production problems regarding the lighting which eventually got worked out. Or I just got lucky. Don't know.

As for the Forma, I have the same two issues with the lighting. I live with the uneven lighting by just imagining it's an old book that was left out in the rain, so the pages got dirty. I quickly forget about that. The stripe down the side I've "solved" with a strategically placed band aka CURB.

I've pretty much concluded a replacement Forma at this stage would likely have the same issues. I have yet to see a photo or video of a Forma in the wild (taken in a dim or dark room) that didn't show evidence of the same problem. I've kept my Forma because of a combination of screen size, how light and easy to handle it is, the buttons, and the adjustable color temperature.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #35
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I had one that showed the dreaded grey bar, and called Kobo for a return. The CS rep had me do a factory reset on the Forma, and the artifact was reduced by 80%.
No it was not, maybe in your mind it was reduced but a factory reset resolves software issue and can not fix a hardware problem. This is a design defect anyway.

You do realize that is the only thing CS ever does is have you do a factory reset, right? I think you probably could call in and ask how to buy a book from the website and they would have you do a factory reset. You could ask them where is the nearest store to buy a Kobo, and upon answering the question they would advise you to do a factory reset once you've purchased the device.

Also it is not a "grey bar", it is a column of bright white light. The Kobo Forma has entered my hall of infamy for terrible front light uniformity issues along with the Nook STR with Glolight and the Kindle Oasis 1.

The more I think about it, the more unacceptable this issue is precisely because the Clara HD also had uniformity problems and instead of learning from their mistakes and making sure it didn't happen again they released with Forma with worse uniformity!
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #36
squiresque
Enthusiast
squiresque began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Alita
My chat with Customer Service about Light Defect

After (regrettably) returning the Forma due to the lighting defect and other buggy device behaviors detailed in other threads, I contacted customer service to tell them that though I returned my Forma, I would gladly re-purchase 2 Formas if they would address the light defect.

Customer Service, oblivious to the fact that I had already returned my Forma, advised me to do a factory reset.

Upon reminding them that I no longer had the device, Customer Service expressed surprise that there is such a lighting defect.

After I provided a link to this thread, Customer Service expressed further surprise, thanked me profusely for alerting them to the problem, and declared emphatically that the issue would be "escalated" up the Kobo chain of command.

The next day I received the following email: "Before I actually escalate this issue, can you please provide me with the software version of your Forma?"

Of course I could not oblige because, as I explained in my reply, I returned my Forma. I then pointed out that since almost everyone to carefully examine their Forma for the issue appears to have detected the defect, and none of the promotional materials disclose the defect, it may well appear that Kobo is intentionally concealing a known defect in its promotional photos in order to induce sales. (There is a name for this behavior - it starts with an F).

As you might expect, I have not heard back from Kobo.

Sadly, I am also back to having to rely on my Oasis 2 after becoming addicted to the comforting glo of the Kobo natural lighting. My temporary work-around: a 12 US dollar pair of blue-blocking safety glasses from Amazon. Not bad, really.
squiresque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #37
m_j
m_j began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Forma
I asked the service and got the same reply too.
My Forma was purchased from Japan, but I am in another country, so it is difficult to send it back to Japan to get refund or replacement.

This is the first time I jump from kindle to kobo, but I didn't expect I would encounter this kind of issue. I can somehow understand why the evil empire can still dominate the market now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	383
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	167723  
m_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #38
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
bought forma at bestbuy, the first one had a dark band in wedge side, the second had a bright band in wedge side, the third one has a slight dark zone which i could live with and keep it. poor quality control.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #39
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
bought forma at bestbuy, the first one had a dark band in wedge side, the second had a bright band in wedge side, the third one has a slight dark zone which i could live with and keep it. poor quality control.
Yup. Every single one has the lighting issue.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #40
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I just got mine yesterday, from WalMart, and turned the brightness up to 100% to check for the light issue, and it's definitely there, but since I don't read with the light turned that high (I keep it at about 15%), it's not something I would have noticed had I not gone looking for it.

So I'm definitely 'living with it'.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #41
JohnnyENZ
JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.JohnnyENZ can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I just got mine yesterday, from WalMart, and turned the brightness up to 100% to check for the light issue, and it's definitely there, but since I don't read with the light turned that high (I keep it at about 15%), it's not something I would have noticed had I not gone looking for it.

So I'm definitely 'living with it'.
I noticed it initially but now it doesn't even phase me. I usually have light around 15% in the dark as well so that might be why.

Overall I'm still loving the device. Deciding to "live with it" was definitely the right decision for me especially because I don't really notice it when i'm reading.
JohnnyENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #42
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
On top of that, the tone of the light is also uneven across the screen from the left to right.
i didn't notice this until i compare forma with aura one side by side today. plus forma's contrast of text is visible worse than aura one--that i can't live with. so i returned it.

update: bought fourth forma, same issue, returned, then fifth, a bit better, kept a few days then returned and wait for 32G model to see if the screen could be better.

Last edited by vostro; 12-18-2018 at 08:02 PM.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #43
GiorgioPapi
GiorgioPapi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo forma
I had the problem. I got a first replacement but the new had the same problem then I went to the store were I had the replacement and got a restitution of my money I returned Kobo forma in order to waiting for a new version without the screen problem.
Giorgio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GiorgioPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #44
suniac
suniac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I have the bar down the side, but it doesn't particularly bother me now. It was quite noticible when I first got the device because I previously used the Oasis which has a uniform screen.

Seems to me that this is to do with the way the screens are manufacured - so working as intended as far as the device is concerned, but an issue to those expecting or desiring a uniform panel.

I'm happy with mine.
suniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #45
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
26 votes so far, and 20 reported the light issue. That is a bit alarming to me especially since some bought through Kobo, some through Walmart, and some in a store in Canada.

I know 26 is a small sample, so maybe we are just an unfortunate lot.
26 responses ... even the 59 so far, is not what you'd call convincing.

Since there are probably more than 59 Forma owners here, this poll would doubtless have a whole lot more responses were the problem as widespread as those here are claiming.

I've had 2 Aura Ones, a Forma, 2 Voyages & 2 PaperWhites. None have had terrible lighting issues but some were better than others. My Forma frontlight isn't perfect but it's perfectly fine.

My advice is to either return/sell the device or accept that which you cannot change. It's a zen thing and the more you focus on it, the worse it will be.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote