Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #61
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think it's a good thing that the OS on our tablets doesn't get updated a lot. Ipads do get updated and with each update they get slower and slower. The same is true of Fire tablets and of B&N's older tablets. They kept getting updates till they get so slow it's painful to use them.

Ipads have generally been faster than Android tablets for the first couple of years but 2 and 3 year old Ipads are a lot slower than 2 or 3 year old Android tablets.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
But both those machines would be dead if they were modern tablets, which can't run directly off external power with no battery, and where you can't swap the batteries out.
Batteries are the weak point in all devices at the moment.
???
It's one thing if the battery leaks or explodes, but if the battery is simply down to minutes of charge time you can run the phone or tablet plugged in just fine.
I had that happen with my Sony T1. It booted up and ran while "charging" but shut down as soon as I pulled the plug. Technically still usable but not terribly practical. However, Windows hardware with usb ports is still useful as print servers, file servers, etc, and the cost is sunk so if it still can be useful, why landfill it?

Newer tablets with OTG, are the same.
There's a lot of uses for old hardware.

It comes down to what different people consider to be a proper hardware life cycle--two years, five years, whatever--and what they consider disposable hardware.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #63
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think it's a good thing that the OS on our tablets doesn't get updated a lot. Ipads do get updated and with each update they get slower and slower. The same is true of Fire tablets and of B&N's older tablets. They kept getting updates till they get so slow it's painful to use them.

Ipads have generally been faster than Android tablets for the first couple of years but 2 and 3 year old Ipads are a lot slower than 2 or 3 year old Android tablets.

Barry
My ipad is always fast
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
???
It's one thing if the battery leaks or explodes, but if the battery is simply down to minutes of charge time you can run the phone or tablet plugged in just fine.
I had that happen with my Sony T1. It booted up and ran while "charging" but shut down as soon as I pulled the plug. Technically still usable but not terribly practical. However, Windows hardware with usb ports is still useful as print servers, file servers, etc, and the cost is sunk so if it still can be useful, why landfill it?

Newer tablets with OTG, are the same.
There's a lot of uses for old hardware.

It comes down to what different people consider to be a proper hardware life cycle--two years, five years, whatever--and what they consider disposable hardware.
Lots longer than is common today.
I play LP's (vinyl discs) that I bought Just after High School (class of 63) on 50YO Speakers using a 40YO turntable. (OK, the Amps only 20YO).
Oh! and some of those are Quad from the 70's.
I have some VHS tapes and to replace the failed player would cost me more than twice what I paid for the original (new).
There is no reason for throw away (batteries that can't be changed. Flimsy buttons) electronics.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #65
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
"Barnes & Noble's latest Nook tablet can turn into a makeshift laptop", per short Engadget article.

B&N offering these two Nook Tablet 10.1 accessories:
- $40 smart folio cover with keyboard
- $35 charging dock (landscape mode).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 AM   #66
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Here is the comparrison of the new nook tablet VS the Kindle fire HD10 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1Uw8fjKx4
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:46 AM   #67
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
Here is the comparrison of the new nook tablet VS the Kindle fire HD10 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1Uw8fjKx4
The first question I would ask in these speed comparisons would be ... is the user going to sites he's already been too before on the Fire? I would like to see him start this comparison by deleting the cache on both Nook and the Fire. I have trouble believing the Nook is that much slower.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #68
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The first question I would ask in these speed comparisons would be ... is the user going to sites he's already been too before on the Fire? I would like to see him start this comparison by deleting the cache on both Nook and the Fire. I have trouble believing the Nook is that much slower.
With a fast internet connection the speed of opening uncached pages looks reasonable on the Fire. It sure does not look impossible. As to why the speed difference? I am not sure.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:44 PM   #69
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
With a fast internet connection the speed of opening uncached pages looks reasonable on the Fire. It sure does not look impossible. As to why the speed difference? I am not sure.
I've got high-speed Internet, I know my Fire doesn't open uncached web pages as fast as the Fire demonstrated in the Youtube video. After I've been to a site, yes — but if it's a new site, no. I also know that my Fire runs like a snail on the Internet for a while after I've turned off Airplane Mode. It's like it's catching with all the "news" it wanted to share with Amazon while its communication ties were cut. So maybe the Nook was doing something like that as well.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #70
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
..I also know that my Fire runs like a snail on the Internet for a while after I've turned off Airplane Mode. It's like it's catching with all the "news" it wanted to share with Amazon while its communication ties were cut. So maybe the Nook was doing something like that as well.
Turning off Airplane Mode clears the DNS cache.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Turning off Airplane Mode clears the DNS cache.
Okay. No wonder. Thanks. (Still worth it to keep from having to charge the thing all the time.)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #72
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I wish they came out with an 8" that is more affordable than their Samsung s2. I am looking for a good 8" tablet that is more box size than the rectangular like kindle. The kindle fire shape drives me nuts. To rectangleish
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #73
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Has anyone figured out the specs on this tablet? I've been looking but haven't found anything.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Has anyone figured out the specs on this tablet? I've been looking but haven't found anything.
About all I can find is that it has a 1920 x 1200 (224 ppi) screen, comes with 32 GB of memory, and its SD slot can use up to a 256GB microSD card. And the battery is supposed to last "up to" 8.5 hours on a full charge. Also, it has dual band WiFi (2.4 and 5 Ghz) and supports a/b/g/n/ac (whatever "ac" is). It has two cameras (front and rear) and both are 2MP.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...roductInfoTabs

It seems like someone would be able to find out what Android version it uses, and whether it has Bluetooth and OTG support. But, if that information is out there, I haven't been able to find it yet. I do like that the keyboard they sell for it just "clicks" on without Bluetooth.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #75
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Didn't realize that B&N updated their 7" tablet to 16GB instead of 8GB. Now it should have enough RAM to at least update.