Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #136
Dchiplin
deb_oh_canada
Dchiplin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma & Aura One & iPad Mini Retina
Deleted

Last edited by Dchiplin; 05-20-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Dchiplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #137
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiplin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Instead of rolling back the firmware, there is a patch to disable the new homescreen.
I have read the thread and am ready to try the patch. However, I don't see which one disables the home screen. Can you possibly point me to it?
Download the following patch from the link in my previous post: patch_kobo_4038966

Unzip the file.

Go to the following folder: 4.3.8966_source

Open the following file: libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch

About two thirds of the way down the libnikel file you will find the patch:

Quote:
#
# The following two patches are alternatives, don't enable more than one.
#
# `Disable new home screen`
# `Enable new home screen`
#

<Patch>
patch_name = `Disable new home screen`
patch_enable = `no`
# patch_group = `Home screen alternatives`
# HomePageController::newHomeScreenEnabled() --> False
replace_bytes = 736A64, 30 46, 00 20
</Patch>

<Patch>
patch_name = `Enable new home screen`
patch_enable = `no`
# patch_group = `Home screen alternatives`
# HomePageController::newHomeScreenEnabled() --> True
replace_bytes = 736A64, 30 46, 01 20
</Patch>

But be aware that this patch is just for this firmware version. It is NOT for the newest firmware version. Not sure if you can disable the new home screen in that.

Last edited by Question Mark; 05-20-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #138
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Once the firmware hit 4.4.x the old homescreen was removed entirely, no patching can bring it back.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #139
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Once the firmware hit 4.4.x the old homescreen was removed entirely, no patching can bring it back.
So, if one wants the old home screen, one has to run an older version of the firmware now?

Good thing I made peace with the new home screen.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #140
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
So, if one wants the old home screen, one has to run an older version of the firmware now?

Good thing I made peace with the new home screen.
I mean it's theoretically possible that you could learn to manipulate the old firmware home screen into the new one, but I suspect that it would involve a lot more work than it's worth and would be prone to all sorts of issues.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #141
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I mean it's theoretically possible that you could learn to manipulate the old firmware home screen into the new one, but I suspect that it would involve a lot more work than it's worth and would be prone to all sorts of issues.
For me, I made peace with the new home screen. I'm seldom on it enough that it really makes all that much of a difference, despite my previous whining about the change.

Just wanted to confirm that, if someone were really married to the old home screen, they would still be able to access it using the firmware which is the topic of this post and this patch. I would not want to put information out their which might brick someone's device.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #142
Dchiplin
deb_oh_canada

OK, so this is not actually funny, but I successfully patched my H2O and got the old home screen back.

Then my briefcase got dropped face first on the pavement (don't ask!!) and so much for that reader!!

Back now to my older Aura HD - had to restore - and now at 4.4.9344. According to above notes, now can not patch back to the old cover.

So back to my original question - is it possible to roll back, and can someone point me to instructions?

I really hate the new cover as you can tell!! Like to keep the next few books I want to read opened and up on the home screen....
Old 06-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #143
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiplin View Post
So back to my original question - is it possible to roll back, and can someone point me to instructions?

I really hate the new cover as you can tell!! Like to keep the next few books I want to read opened and up on the home screen....
Sorry to hear about the mishap with your other Kobo. As for rolling your Aura HD back to a previous firmware, that should be quite possible.

You can find all the various Kobo firmware releases for their various models here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases

Make sure to download the correct firmware package for you device. On the same page, there should be a link to instructions about how to install the firmware. There are also links to the discussion thread concerning that firmware as well as a link to instructions for patching it if you so desire.

Best of luck.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #144
Dchiplin
deb_oh_canada

Much appreciated Question Mark!! I am off to try this.