Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #16
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by janzen View Post
As I said before stylus from other manufacturers can be used
You did say that, except then you didn't say which ones. I suspect you're thinking of a different Sony reader. They don't all support the same pen tech afaik. Can show me another stylus that has been reported working on the DPT-RP1 specifically?
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #17
janzen
janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iLiad
"I'm using a stylus of an old Irex reader successfully on my Sony PRS-T1"
janzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #18
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzen View Post
"I'm using a stylus of an old Irex reader successfully on my Sony PRS-T1"
Yes, exactly, but we've been talking about the newer DPT-RP1 reader, not the PRS-T1. The DPT-RP1 is a different reader, and it seems to be using different pen tech.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #19
JoeS
Enthusiast

Has anyone heard anything about a stylus or tip redesign for the DPT-RP1? It's pretty bad that you can break the stylus altogether by snapping off the tip.

The only development is that somehow my fairly neutral review of the stylus where I mentioned the tip problem got scrubbed from Amazon, and I'm not allowed to submit a new review because apparently I'm biased. I guess that's true, but for good reason.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #20
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
The Sony consumer ebook readers in the PRS family all use infrared screens and virtually anything will work as a stylus including a ballpoint pen or mechanical pencil with the tip retracted. Even a wood match or plastic straw. I just made one out of a short Titanium rod piece that I rounded and polished the tip on one end and mounted a drilled out 3/8" stainless steel ball on the other end. It does not fit the reader's stylus storage slot. Works great on all my touch screen PRS series Sony readers and on the Kindle 4/5. All units that use infrared screens. I do note that the Sony screens seem to have greater sensitivity to the stylus than the Kindle screen does.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #21
JoeS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
The Sony consumer ebook readers in the PRS family all use infrared screens and virtually anything will work as a stylus including a ballpoint pen or mechanical pencil with the tip retracted.
That's great. Unfortunately for the DPT-series this doesn't work. The DPT-RP1 (which this thread is about, although it was not clearly stated in the first post) uses some active digitizer tech that doesn't seem to be compatible with anything other than the included pen.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but if anyone knows about a replacement stylus for the DPT-RP1, other than the original included Sony DPTA-RS1, I would love to hear it.