Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Yep, typos are a 'norm' in books... likewise bugs in software. Every one you find you swear will be the last, but inevitably another one crops up.

As Neil says, proofing your own work is not really ever going to work too well, even with a spell checker and grammar assistant on the PC. Editors and proofers can be expensive (though proof-reading is fairly cheap) but they're well worth the money in the end.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
I found two typos in the professionally published book I'm reading now, and I'm only halfway through it.
The last self-published book I read averaged something like one mistake (missing or misused words, mostly) per double page, if not more.

So, sounds to me like you're doing fine.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #18
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
Software has bugs, books have typos. It happens
great quote there.

indeed, as a software developer you're correct in that software has bugs. But one thing it has that should be of help to writers is something called a compiler. A compiler translates your software written in high level algorithmic language into low-level machine language. It can't prevent bugs arising from bad logic, but it ensure that everything written down can be checked against certain rules.

One of these checks is that of typos: it simply warns you of possible typos and won't compile further while you don't correct it. It's indeed a spell checker, except it doesn't allow you to "publish" while you don't get them right.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
We all have this problem. I had a dozen beta readers and went over my book at least 50 times and still found typos. The best strategy that I've found so far is a product called Text2Go, though any text to speech program should work just as well. When you've got the final edit ready to go, have the computer read it to you. You will hear "he bartender" or other typos (my big problem is though and through) and then you can fix it.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Spellcheckers are of limited usefulness.
They don't catch it when you drop pronouns, particles or other small words your brain fills in automatically when you go too fast when looking for mistakes.
Or when you use a word that exists, but is not what you mean. "Bare with me" or "peasant hunting season", and the like.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #21
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke Wehner View Post
Spellcheckers are of limited usefulness.
They don't catch it when you drop pronouns, particles or other small words your brain fills in automatically when you go too fast when looking for mistakes.
Or when you use a word that exists, but is not what you mean. "Bare with me" or "peasant hunting season", and the like.
I see nothing wrong with "peasant hunting". We have to control the population somehow.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #22
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Yeah, that's a little frustrating. It's even worse when the reader *thinks* something is a typo or error when it really isn't, they just mis-read it. And yet that review is out there on the internet forever and ever...

That's a writer's life!
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #23
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Thanks!

Actually, the reader was kind enough to read the updated version and change his review. I wasn't even aware that was possible, but when I looked, he'd given it an additional star and removed mention of the typo. So it all worked out in the end, luckily enough.

I appreciate everyone giving me a sanity check, though.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #24
jumpingjack42
DiSpLaCeD
jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle 2
One more advantage of digital. Even the reviews can change.
(not if they are in print!)

Which is really good because my spelling is atrocious.
(Yes I had to look atrocious up)
jumpingjack42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Also whether a typo is a problem or not can be considered cultural I think. I mean for example the Chinese always leave a little area of things like their sculptures unfinished because they have a philosophy that says nothing of the world can be perfect. I can imagine the literary equivalent is the odd typo. Not to say a book should be published with the MS being filled with such, just that one or two little errors shouldn't be that big a deal in the mind of the author. If you think about it a minute the grammer, etc. that is used for writing a book and the English that we study in school aren't quite the same either. Writers break the rules all the time. So the odd typo is a small thing I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #26
ChristinaSng
ChristinaSng began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
That was great of the reviewer to revise the review. In my case, a reviewer gave away the whole plot and the twist at the end.

Sometimes after years of not reading a story or poem I wrote, I look at it again and find typos I swear I never saw before, even after editing it a zillion times.

The brain sees what it wants to see.
ChristinaSng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #27
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaSng View Post
That was great of the reviewer to revise the review. In my case, a reviewer gave away the whole plot and the twist at the end.

Sometimes after years of not reading a story or poem I wrote, I look at it again and find typos I swear I never saw before, even after editing it a zillion times.

The brain sees what it wants to see.
That's too bad, Christina. Smashwords ought to have a policy on spoilers. (Or do they already?)

I have gotten very few reviews so far (and I'm gearing up for some more negatives, since I've got a book of short stories I'm putting up today), but I have to admit that I need to get a little more thick-skinned about them. I got a one-star review (on the Nook bookstore) that called my story "predictable", which I found kind of amazing, considering I left the ending intentionally ambiguous and I actually had people ask me how the ending was supposed to be interpreted...

Anyway, I'm trying not to let stuff like that get to me.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #28
bhartman36
Wizard

Since I titled this thread "Smashwords Question", I might as well ask another one here.

What is it that takes Smashwords so long in uploading? I assume it's not just doing a conversion, as Calibre could do that in a few minutes. Does it take that long to update and index the e-book you're uploading?

Sorry this is such a newbie question. I'm just curious.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #29
TrineDaely
Connoisseur
TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've been wondering about the upload time, too. It's about ridiculous. Another thing I'd like is a way to preview it BEFORE it goes live there like you can on KDP. An in-browser editor for post-uploading to do small tweaks that are needed would be wonderful, but I guess that's asking for too much.
TrineDaely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #30
Anke Wehner
Addict

One possibility would be that the meatgrinder at the moment can't convert as many books per day as are submitted. Just speculating.