Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
palma2012
palma2012 began at the beginning.

Device: sony pr300
Sony Pocket Reader shuts down

Hi,

Not sure if this is where I can post this thread but I need some help/advice.

I purchased two books, both were downloaded as EPUB documents. I have other books with the same extension but have not seen this problem that I seem to be having with these two books.

Anyway, when I try to open the book, the reader locks up for a few minutes, then shuts down, the opens again, but it looks like I lost all my books, then it seems to reload. Tried again to open the book, same incident happens again.

Any idea why this happens, and what can I do to fix it. After all, I paid monies
for the book, I would like to read it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Palma
palma2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
JulyMama
JulyMama began at the beginning.

Device: Waiting for my Kindle 3! Sony PRS-300
This has happened to me before. When your reader boots back up, the screen with the little arrows and you can see your menu, quickly plug it in to your computer. When the pop up on your computer asks you if you want to view your folders, open the reader folder called "cache" and delete the books you just added from the reader. Unplug the reader and see if it works again. If it does then you need to reformat the books to another format using calibre or whatever you use. then try adding one at a time and unplugging in between. This way you know which book is causing the problem if it doesn't work again. I found that if this happens, I convert it to .rtf or .txt and it usually works.
If this doesn't work, you can convert it to .lit or .pdf and delete the .epub file, then convert the .lit or .pdf to whatever format you want.
When you unplug the reader, if it still reboots itself, you may need to email the company that you bought the books from.
I hope this helps, it works for me. I know it's a total pain when this happens. It tends to happen to me when I add like 20 books at once, and then I never know which book caused the problem.
JulyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
palma2012

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'm hoping that it fixes this problem. Very frustrating.
Have a great day.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
terryh60
terryh60 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300
Please excuse my ignorance JulyMama but could you explain a bit about how to delete from cache.
I see lots of lines of numbers and letters with a title included.
Are the books listed in cache there because they are causing a problem with the reader?
I ask this because i have a peoblem with my reader repeatedly cycling through two pages but wont boot up.
This has happened after loading quite a lot of books.
Would removing thesewith the delete function help perhaps

many thanks
terryh60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
palma2012

Hello,

Good question. I too have tried to delete my cache. How to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by palma2012 View Post
Hello,

Good question. I too have tried to delete my cache. How to do this would be greatly appreciated.
I have a PC and a Sony 300 Pocket Reader.
Plug in your reader using the usb plug-in connector.
Gives you a pop up menu.
"Open Folder to View Files"
Open the "Database" Folder.
Open the "Media" Folder.
Open the "Books" Folder.
You now have the books on your reader, delete what is the problem (I would copy and paste the book to another file, as a backup, just in case).
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
JulyMama
JulyMama began at the beginning.

Device: Waiting for my Kindle 3! Sony PRS-300
sorry, I was moving so I didn't see this. Kayaker said it exactly. However, I just plugged in my reader and wrote all this stuff down, so I'm gonna post it anyways ;-)

Plug in your reader. a pop up should appear that says "Removable disk (x: )" (x being whatever slot you plugged your reader into)
double click the folder "database" then double click "media" then double click "books" and everything that is on your reader is there. You can then delete whichever authors or books you want. Just open each folder and choose which books to delete.

you can also start from the beginning in removable disk and double click on "database",
then double click "layout" then "database" then "media" then "books"
do this after you do the first part and see if there are any books left
behind. sometimes just deleting them from the first database doesn't work.

I hope this helps. Read this as you plug in your reader so you can do it step
by step if you don't understand. Once you plug in your reader you should be able to figure it out.

By the way, I did these steps on vista. it's pretty much the same for any windows machine.
I am a Mac dummy so I have no clue if you have a mac, sorry.
JulyMama is offline   Reply With Quote