Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Lightbulb Alternative leather cover for e-Reader. Looking for Ideas!!!

Hello, dear friends!

I am currently developing alternative protective leather coverings (cover) for our beloved ebook reader and need some ideas and advice about fixation of the reader in such a cover.

Among the rest, the covers are planned for:
Pocketbook 301 (and similar products for example Bookeen Cybook 3)
Pocketbook 302
Kindle 2
Nook from B&N
iRex iLiad 2
... and others comparable in the size
Ideas for the connection:
To glue
Elastic bands in the corners
Velcro fastenings
If somebody likes one of the Cover, please quote the cover names so I know where the trend lies!

And in case somebody should generate a super idea how to fix a reader in such a cover, I will make for him a cover of his choice and give it as gift FOC

So covers will look:

Ajur

Academia

butterfly

butterfly fiol

Barokko

Dame

Wood

Dino

Dragon

Eurasia

Fantazy

Flora kr

Foliant

Gefest

Georg

Gera

Gildiya

Grafik

Kelt

Classic

King

Consul 1

Konsul 2

Consul logo

Korall

Kozak

Krokodil
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Here are some additional pictures:

Legend

LEO

Melody

Ornament

Pergament

Sandal

Checkmate

Skif 1

Skif 2

Sonet

Togo

Vizantia

Four seasons

Samt

Snake

Zodiac
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I love 'check mate' as it appeals to my sense of humour.

As for fixing it - I made my own cover as well and used velcro strips on the cover & the reader. Holds and holds and holds.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Dame, Legend, Skif2 and Four Seasons are all my preferences. They all look pretty smart but I least like the checkmate one!

Fixings would depend largely on the reader, some attachments that may work for say the PB 301 would not work for the PB 360.

My idea is a bit crude but would work with all designs. Stick a transparent plastic pouch on the inside cover with an opening at the top (like a ziplock bag) to slip your reader inside. Would also make the reader splashproof.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
They're beautiful! My favorites: Eurasia, Fantazy, Gildiya, Konsole 2, Togo, and Four Seasons.

It would be great if you could implement the side clips so it'll be compatible with the Astak Pocket Pro, BeBook Mini, and the Hanlin V5. Maybe even have a slip pocket on the left inside.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I prefer the more "quiet" covers. Wood. Togo. The others are fun, but I wouldn't buy them...

To hold the reader I suggest a hardened stainless steel strip on the back, bent up on the top and bottom to provide three/four attachment points. Like a Y or a X with the ends bent up to hold the device. Need to be different for different devices. You just press the reader in or pull it out. The metal strip acts as a spring to hold the device secure. It would also give the cover some additional strength and help keep the thickness down.

Last edited by Adoby; 01-21-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
First of all, I don't know if I could choose among them, but my favorites are: butterfly fiol (the most), eurasia and gera. For subjections, I think some clip up and bottom of the cover, to click the device between them. And... could you consider to make them for the two Cybook, Gen3 (I have read again, you mention it, thank you) and Opus. You would have a sure costumer (they're very similar to my PDA cover, that a Spanish craftswoman made for me).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #8
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
I think I like the Consul 1 and the dragon best, of what you've shown.

If you can do ships, you should be able to SPACEships. More SF please.

Actually, if you could do one like the togo or such but use the BAEN BOOKS spaceship logo, I bet you'd sell lots of them to Baen readers.
Attached Images

Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
At the moment I am in process of designing/making a luxurious hand-sewn leather cover for my PB360. It closes with magnets like a cover on my Sony Reader PRS-500.
The most difficult thing was to design system for holding the PB inside the cover.

Are you interested in some work-in-progress photos and design ideas?
My cover would be most probably too complicated and work-intensive for large series, but as an luxury, hand-made product it might be interesting.

I was planning to post photos when the cover was finished.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
PocketGoods
Banned

Hi, friends!

Thanks a lot for your ideas.. I will test someof them, but I am still open for new suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
At the moment I am in process of designing/making a luxurious hand-sewn leather cover for my PB360. It closes with magnets like a cover on my Sony Reader PRS-500.
The most difficult thing was to design system for holding the PB inside the cover.

Are you interested in some work-in-progress photos and design ideas?
My cover would be most probably too complicated and work-intensive for large series, but as an luxury, hand-made product it might be interesting.

I was planning to post photos when the cover was finished.
Hi, Kacir!
Of course I am interested in your design ideas for PB360, ideas for holding syste and work-in-progress photos. I think I could help you to manufacture your cover as soon the prototype will be ready.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #11
PocketGoods
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
I think I like the Consul 1 and the dragon best, of what you've shown.

If you can do ships, you should be able to SPACEships. More SF please.

Actually, if you could do one like the togo or such but use the BAEN BOOKS spaceship logo, I bet you'd sell lots of them to Baen readers.
It´s a good idea, to design some SciFi logos for our covers. I will speak to my designers. Thanks Dargref!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoods View Post
Of course I am interested in your design ideas for PB360, ideas for holding syste and work-in-progress photos. I think I could help you to manufacture your cover as soon the prototype will be ready.
I wanted to make a cover similar to this: http://www.bookeen.com/shop/productd...?ProductID=443

I have purchased a piece of luxurious thick soft leather for the outside and a piece of much thiner soft leather for the inside lining.

I started by cutting two boards from a 1.5mm thick board of fiberglass laminate to the size of device. The board was used many, many years ago as an interface card for a PDP 11 clone. I have simply removed the printed circuit using and old chisel.
Manufacturers of similar covers, purses, leather articles use piece of cardboard as a reinforcement. I want my cover to actually protect my reader so I used something stronger. I would have prefered a carbon fiber laminate 1mm thick, but I could not get any. I was also contemplating using a 1mm thick piece of the best quality plywood and laminating a very thin layer of fiberglass cloth on both sizes. But the price of such plywood in my local model-building store was outrageous and I would have gained only a few grams of weight off the cover.

Please notice that there are two small pieces of steel inserted and glued to the board - this is the place where neodymium magnets will hold the cover closed. Next time I would use a little bit bigger pieces, because the magnets have to hold the covet through two layers of leather.

Along the border of boards I have drilled holes. Through this holes I will do an actual sewing with awl and two needles and two threads.

Then I have cut a thin strip of the laminate and glued a block of wood to it. Next I have carved the wood so it would fit the front curve of the device. I have made this piece of wood as thin as possible. I do not want to add bulk to the device.

I have made holes in the wood and glued in two neodymium magnets salvaged from an old harddisk. I had to grind the magnets to size. You have to grind magnets slowly on a wetstone grinder - with *lots* of water, so you do not heat the magnets. They would lose magnetisation (as I have discovered by trial and error ;-) )

Later the piece of wood will be glued to the bottom laminate board.
As a next step I will cover the reader in a clingfilm (a very thin polyethylene foil), put a little of silicone sealant on the wood and use reader as a form to make a nice thin silicone surface where the reader touches the wood.

Later I will post photos of how I plan to make the pouch from leather strips that will hold the reader in place. The pouch will cover practically entire reader except for the screen and center buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00776.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	819.2 KB
ID:	43980   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00777.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	801.6 KB
ID:	43981   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00778.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	821.8 KB
ID:	43982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00779.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	858.5 KB
ID:	43983  
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I wanted to make a cover similar to this: http://www.bookeen.com/shop/productd...?ProductID=443
If you make something similar to that for Gen3 and Opus with the designs you've shown, I'll be waiting when you open the shop :-D

Really, that's the cover I've gor for my Gen3 (red, but that's the same), and it's the cover I feel surer.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
Montyp535
Zealot
Montyp535 began at the beginning.

Device: (former) Ebookwise 1150, PB 302, (now) PB 612, PB Touch, HTC DesireS
My favs were: Academia, Barokko, Dino, Gefert, Kozak and Snake - but all look very good!
Montyp535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I really dig academia.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote