Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
SSH to Kindle

I am having trouble understanding how to ssh into my new Kindle 2. Could somebody either teach me or link me to a source. I am running Ubuntu as my OS, if that helps. I have a 2.3 version Kindle 2.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, LlamaZorz.

Hopefully, someone will step in soon and help.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Zorz
Zealot

I can ssh into the kindle, but I am them question for a password, which I do not have.

Im just interested in turning off its wireless and gps capabilities.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaZorz View Post
I can ssh into the kindle, but I am them question for a password, which I do not have.

Im just interested in turning off its wireless and gps capabilities.
Just keep the wireless turned off. Your Kindle will have sorting problems (most recent) because the clock will lose time if it isn't able to connect to Whispernet, so be prepared.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Zorz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Just keep the wireless turned off. Your Kindle will have sorting problems (most recent) because the clock will lose time if it isn't able to connect to Whispernet, so be prepared.
Does that really stop it from connecting to amazon? I mean it could say its off, but how do we really know if its not randomly connecting to phone home and return logs and stuff. Its not really out of the question to assume such.

At least If I strip out its wireless modules, it has no chance or I put it in a Faraday cage.

Time is not something I worry about, I didnt even know the device had a clock till you mentioned it.
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does that really stop it from connecting to amazon? I mean it could say its off, but how do we really know if its not randomly connecting to phone home and return logs and stuff. Its not really out of the question to assume such.
I don't see why it would be connecting when it's supposed to be turned off. It's just an ebook reader with books on it. If I were concerned about people knowing what I'm up to, I would be more concerned about cell phones and computers with internet connections over an ebook reader.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Zorz
Zealot

Im still interested in how to access the device. As I said, I can ssh into it but need the password and dont really know how to get it, so I am asking.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Im still interested in how to access the device. As I said, I can ssh into it but need the password and dont really know how to get it, so I am asking.
Well hopefully someone who can help you will come along. Since it's a holiday weekend, it may not be until tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Zorz
Zealot

I know many people here, do this, why wont anybody help?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

People may still be on their holiday vacations.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
The is no password, to login, just hit return.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Zorz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
The is no password, to login, just hit return.
I have tried, it just comes back and asks me for a password.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
If you're using the USB networking hack available on this forum, you should be logging in as root with no password. I should mention that I'm still on the original DX firmware, maybe the hack files have changed since I've used them.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
Zorz
Zealot

I have applied no hack, just ssh'ing into it as root. How can you apply the hack without access? Thanks for responding btw.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
If you're using the USB networking hack available on this forum, you should be logging in as root with no password. I should mention that I'm still on the original DX firmware, maybe the hack files have changed since I've used them.
The files have changed ; but the method to ssh in hasn't. No password is required.

The OP needs to install the usbNetwork hack first. there's no need for ssh or telnet access to install a hack
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote