Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
'Sleeping Planet,' by William R. Burkett Jr.

Sleeping Planet is a long-out-of-print and mostly-forgotten gem that I originally found at a garage sale in the mid-1970's. I was sure that I was going to have to slice up my physical copy in order to scan it for my Reader. Imagine my utter shock and surprise when I discovered that it can now be purchased for download!

If you've still got a kid inside you who loves "Man against the universe" Space Opera, then this is the book for you. Best of all: it's the WHOLE story. No multi-volume series "saga" stuff for skiffy fans of the 60's.

The current publisher's blurb reads:
Quote:
The Llralan plan for the conquest of Earth was simple, non-violent--and utterly ruthless. Every human on Earth fell simultaneously into a drugged sleep, leaving the planet undefended against the Llralan invaders. When the drug wore off, the conquest would be a fait accompli, and the humans would have no choice but to accept their fate. A handful of people, though, proved to have a natural immunity to the drug. Stranded without resources on a sleeping world, they must somehow find a way to awaken the sleepers and repel the invaders--before it's too late.
Review 1
Review 2

This is absolutely the case that proves the point that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I almost didn't buy it because of the tentacled robots highlighed on the cover of the 1967 edition, and the artwork for the electronic version is even worse (a spilled cup of coffee is the representative image for two men fighting against an entire alien species? Please!)

Give it a try. I think you'll enjoy it. If you're still not sure you want to make the investment, just keep this title on your list of things to look for at used book stores. You should be able to pick up that tentacled-robot copy for under a buck.

Buy at Fictionwise.com
Buy at Electricstory.com

Last edited by curtw; 09-19-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: corrected link to review
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Sleeping Planet is a long-out-of-print and mostly-forgotten gem that I originally found at a garage sale in the mid-1970's. I was sure that I was going to have to slice up my physical copy in order to scan it for my Reader. Imagine my utter shock and surprise when I discovered that it can now be purchased for download!
I'll second the motion. I read this in the original appearance in the old "bedsheet format" run of Analog Magazine, and it's a lot of fun.

Burkett is also responsible for _Bloodlines_ and _Bloodsport_, though I don't think either are currently available, save used.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
DLScott35
DLScott35 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Sleeping Planet was in my High School Library. I checked it out at least 8 times during those years and after graduation, I attempted to find my own copy, Out of Print. 10 years later I went back to the school and offered them a trade of thirty books of various types, and $25 for this one book, which sits on my library shelf today. It was and still is excellent reading, that I wish they would make into a movie. His two most recent boos "Bloodsport" and "Bloodlines" were both available in Book-a-Million, but I don't know if they still are. While these two new offerings don't have the same "flavor" of "Sleeping Planet" they are still very good escapist reading, and I highly recommend any of them.
Dennis
DLScott35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I read this as a teenager and loved it.

I would like to read it again.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
It's a classic!
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
stxopher
Nameless Being

Blast it! Here it was I thought I could get a legit copy of it, rushed to Fictionwise and WHAM! "No longer for sale."

Bah! I must have been to slow and they ran out of copies.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Sounds just like my thing but for whatever reason it isn't showing up on either site.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, guys. I never expected to see an ebook go out of print.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Sorry, guys. I never expected to see an ebook go out of print.
It can if the company providing it has issues. Fictionwise got it from Rosetta Solutions. Rosetta was a reconstituted form of Alexandria Digital Literature. Rosetta got whacked by the real estate finance meltdown, as it was using VC funding to reconstitute, and the funding dried up. See http://www.rosettasolutions.com/info...5G3N6x5G&57904 for some details.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
curtw
Outside of a dog

If anyone is still interested, this book can now be borrowed from archive.org's "open library." It's a not-so-great OCR job, but the story is there. Link.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Barnes and Noble has it as an eBook for $3.99.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/slee...-jr/1114202207
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Scien...&creative=9325

As does Amazon.uk £2.54
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleeping-Sci.../dp/B00AXHIBOC
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 05-04-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Silly me. Before posting that last, I checked amazon.com, and ended up on this page, which still says there's no Kindle version.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic

I know I found the same page before I found the B&N page.
Amazon needs to update some of their links.
Apache
Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I just snagged a copy - looks like a rattling good read!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote