Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-29-2017, 01:47 AM   #16
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Pick up an inexpensive used/refurbished ereader to take with you, if you're concerned.

I have a couple of ereaders and, while I'm not too worried that something will happen, I did pick up a used JetBook Mini for use when I'm concerned that something might -- for instance while taking mass transit into and around NYC, going to the beach, etc.

The Mini is a very limited ereader and cost me about $20, if I recall correctly, so losing it wouldn't be a tragedy. And, it looks a bit like a child's toy, so it's less likely to attract the wrong sort of attention.

Used Kobos and Nooks should be available for the job and shouldn't set you back any more than what I paid.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have a padded sleeve/case that I've used for years backpacking. I've carried a Sony PRS-500/PRS-505/PRS-T3 and now an Amazon paperwhite for a decade without any issues. No cracked screens or anything. I do put the sleeve in a ziplock in case of massive rain storms (normally not an issue since I have a pack cover, but better safe than sorry)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I have a padded sleeve/case that I've used for years backpacking. I've carried a Sony PRS-500/PRS-505/PRS-T3 and now an Amazon paperwhite for a decade without any issues. No cracked screens or anything. I do put the sleeve in a ziplock in case of massive rain storms (normally not an issue since I have a pack cover, but better safe than sorry)
And then you take the Reader out of the sleeve and have no case. Not a good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And then you take the Reader out of the sleeve and have no case. Not a good idea.
It is a bit hard to read while in the sleeve.

In general, the issue was to protect the reader while in the pack. I've never had a reader, iPhone or iPad damaged by dropping it while I was reading. The only time I've had a device damaged was when I had my iPhone fall out of my pocket without a case. Your mileage might vary.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I see you still don't like naked readers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I see you still don't like naked readers.
Oh I might depending on who was naked while reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've used my Paperwhite 1 for 4,5 years in public transport, daily, in a €15 book-style cover from eBay. Still good as new. I've been using my Aura ONE in the original slim fit cover since the day of release, and it's also fine.

So if you have a proper cover and don't do any overly weird stuff such as kicking your bag off a flight of stairs twice a day, or throw it from a skyscraper, your reader will be fine.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote