Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast
ronlizpatsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Watching TV Mystery

On my Vox I can watch U Tube, foreign live TV (via an app.) and BBC iplayer items.
So, why can't I watch live BBC? ( I have installed Flash Player 11)
ronlizpatsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Can you provide us with more details? No picture? Low frame rate? Crashes? Sometimes software details help too. E.g. if it's a web based feed, which browser are you using?
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Which URL?
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Good Afternoon "hpulley" & "BWinmill"
I have tried to get the BBC Live TV using both the inbuilt Vox Browser and the "Opera Mini".
If I use say "Opera Mini" and navigate to "bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive/" I get a message that tells me that I am not getting the video as I,m not using the correct version of "Flash" or/and "Javescript" is not enabled.
There is then a link to another bbc site where Java is explained and you are told how to enable it for Windows, Mac and Firefox (no mention of Android).
Another link explains "Flash" but only indicates its availability for Windows or Mac. (I do have Flash 11 but presumably this is not suitable for "Android")
Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Have you tried Opera Mobile? It is supposedly quite a different beast, and that includes how it handles Javascript. I have also had more luck viewing Flash video on Opera Mobile than the Vox Browser.

Just to avoid confusion in the future: Java and Javascript are different beasts. As far as I know, Java is not supported by Android devices. Which is kinda ironic.
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I tried the BBC link on my desktop and nothing played. Maybe the BBC keeps video away from Canada the same as the US networks do because of copyright issues.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I tried the BBC link on my desktop and nothing played. Maybe the BBC keeps video away from Canada the same as the US networks do because of copyright issues.
Probably so. I know that I couldn't access it when I was working in Germany.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Thank you gentlemen - especially "BWinmill". I installed "Opera Mobile" and was at once able to watch BBC live TV. I did not have to make any changes to "Javascript" or worry about the right version of "Flash".
"Oldyellr" and "Mr Baggins" - BBC Live TV or BBC iplayer are only availble in the UK. The best you can do when not in the UK is get a short news summary.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
BBC does not allow video outside of the UK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
BBC does not allow video outside of the UK.
They offer very little video outside of the UK. I think that it's because of deals negotiated with the producers, and because they resell some of it to other markets.

Anyhow, it ain't too special. One of the sites that I frequent only offers videos in the US and Canada (the Annenberg Media Project).