Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Mobi Pocket

I am migrating away from seperate electronic reader to reading on my blackberry so that I can carry one device rather than mutiple devices. I have selected Mobi Pocket for this function. What is your opinion of Mobi Pocket? Do they a adequate selection of books? Are their prices competitive (I guess with agency pricing this is not really relevant). Do they have good customer service?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mobi bookstores are rather a dying breed. You might like to consider the Blackberry Kindle App instead; Amazon have the best bookstore around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What Harry said. I use the Kindle app on my iTouch and rather like it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000468551
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
This is the sort of discussion that I was looking for. Are the prices competitive with the rest of the market? How about the selection?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the Kindle app is available for your Blackberry, then it is likely your best option. Amazon has the widest selection of any single ebook store, generally the best price (on non-Agency titles) and unmatched customer service.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
The only store other than Amazon I'm familiar with selling Mobi books is

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePag...sp?Language=EN

and I've found their prices to be high.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
My understanding is that Amazon bought Mobipocket several years ago - that's one of the reasons (if not the only reason) that Amazon uses the MOBI format. Initially, Amazon used Mobipocket as the route for authors/publishers to publish books for the Kindle. At that time, ebooks published via Mobipocket would go up on the Mobipocket online store as well as the Kindle store on Amazon.com. Then, around September 2009 (I think) Amazon launched Digital Text Platform (DTP), it's direct Kindle publishing interface (recently renamed Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)). Around December 2009, Mobipocket stopped accepting new publishing accounts. There are still publishers using the Mobipocket eBookbase interface to publish MOBI ebooks, but mostly, I'd imagine, as a route to publishing their ebooks in the Amazon Kindle bookstore, and I'd also suspect that the number of publishers using eBookbase to publish ebooks is slowly decreasing as they transfer to publishing directly with Amazon. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Mobipocket ceased to exist as a separate online presence in a year or so.

Apart from Amazon and a few relatively small outlets, most ebook publishers and retailers concentrate on the EPUB format, so while it could certainly be useful to have the Mobipocket Reader installed for reading any DRM-free (or Mobipocket DRM'd) MOBI ebooks you come across, I'd suggest that regarding Mobipocket, the online shop, as a primary source of ebooks is not likely to be the best idea, and certainly not one that is likely to provide access to a decent range of ebooks. Much better to get the Kindle app for your Blackberry and buy from Amazon.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I use my BB Storm2 as my reader and use the Nook app and mobiPocket reader. Barnes and Noble is competive with Amazon's prices. I tried both apps and preferred B&N. I keep mobiPocket for non-DRM books.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote