Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
kyliez
kyliez began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can screen protector diminish PDF viewing quality?

Hi,

Can putting screen protectors in the iPad diminish the image quality of PDF reading? There are also two kinds of protectors, anti glare and clear, which one is better for PDF reading?
kyliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

I have one from bestskinsever.com, once it is on, don't even know it is there.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
kyliez
kyliez began at the beginning.

Is it the anti glare or just clear? I heard anti glare can diminish image quality bec it diffused the light being what anti glare does.
kyliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

it's not anti-glare. it's a screen protector to protect the glass from scratches, etc. also adds a rubbery feeling to it which i like better than the glass. you can get it for the back panel too. same material you can get from zagg.com at 1/2 the price.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
I ordered some el-cheapo ultra-clear protector from Amazon, and it works fine - seems to be the same quality as the much more expensive versions you can get from places like Brando or Boxwave (probably came out of the same factory, for all I know).

The anti-glare screen protectors can give you a kind of shimmery, screen-door appearance, so I usually try to avoid them.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

That is cheap, is it a rubbery film or more like a piece of plastic?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #7
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
That is cheap, is it a rubbery film or more like a piece of plastic?
It's plastic. I tried Invisible Shield once and didn't like the rubbery texture.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
It's plastic. I tried Invisible Shield once and didn't like the rubbery texture.
to each his own. i hoped that it was the 3m film, would have been an even cheaper source than best skins ever. i don't like the plastic protectors because they're too slick for me. i do not like the feeling of the glass with the oliphobic coating at all.

the nice thing is i only replace the protector once or twice a year, and that was on my iphones which is stored in a pocket. i expect the ipads to last much longer since it's in a case.