Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Shockingly poor device

Getting a little worried about this, SHMBO has requested a PRS600 for Christmas and its been ordered. Whilst SHMBO has seen and had a demo, until today I had never actually seen an any of the ereaders. I looked at a PRS600 and the screen is, well lets be honest, crap. Frankly I thought it little better then a regular PC screen, very reflective, not at all a good experience.

On a 1 to 10 score with paper getting a 10 for readability the PRS600 I wouldn't give the sony 1, it was that bad.

Just hope SHMBO gets on with it. Boy do these things have a way to go....
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
I like my screen on my 600, don't think it's bad at all. Just my opinion though, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who feel the same way and LOVE thier 600, screen and all. Maybe you'll be lucky and your SHMBO will love it too! )
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've played with the 600, and I don't find the 600 display bad at all. My 505 screen is crisper, but not a large amount so. I don't think I'd have a problem going from the 505 to the 600 (and my goodness is that thing fast).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
bruba
bruba began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
No problems here..
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Real move !!

The real move would be the PRS 900 BC.

Just skip over the lesser models and get the latest and greatest.

My order is in with a possible ship date of Dec 10, 2009.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
... My order is in with a possible ship date of Dec 10, 2009.
Uh, that would be 3 days ago.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Salinger
Salinger began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I'm still in the decision making process so I have no ownership experience to share, but I did spend about a half hour playing with the live display models of both the 300 and 600 today in my seemingly never-ending research.

In my opinion, giving the 600 a 1 out 10 rating is harsh and unwarranted. The 300 is definitely crisper, but from reading some criticisms of the 600 screen, I was expecting the worst but was very pleasantly surprised. I didn't think it was too bad at all. Perhaps not the best, but if I was to rate it, I'd say at least a 7 or 8.

The look and build of it are by far the nicest of any reader I've seen. It's very elegant and refined. The interface is wonderful and extremely functional. Perhaps it was because I didn't have great expectations, but I came away feeling quite positive about the 600.
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #8
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
Getting a little worried about this, SHMBO has requested a PRS600 for Christmas and its been ordered. Whilst SHMBO has seen and had a demo, until today I had never actually seen an any of the ereaders. I looked at a PRS600 and the screen is, well lets be honest, crap. Frankly I thought it little better then a regular PC screen, very reflective, not at all a good experience.

On a 1 to 10 score with paper getting a 10 for readability the PRS600 I wouldn't give the sony 1, it was that bad.

Just hope SHMBO gets on with it. Boy do these things have a way to go....
Reactions to the 600 screen differ widely. I've had a 600 for a few weeks now, and I find it fine; others, as you'll have seen here, can't stand it.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The real move would be the PRS 900 BC.

Just skip over the lesser models and get the latest and greatest.
The screen on the 900 is exactly the same as that of the 600, in terms of the touch later, etc. If the original poster hates the 600's screen, whyever do you think they'd like the 900's?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
How do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The screen on the 900 is exactly the same as that of the 600, in terms of the touch later, etc. If the original poster hates the 600's screen, whyever do you think they'd like the 900's?
How do you know the quality of the 900's screen? None have been delivered yet. My ship date on the Sony Style site shows a Dec. 10 ship date but no email has been received yet. That date may merely be a projected date.

Actually, the 900 has the biggest reading area around possibly topping the Amazon Kindle DX since the latter's area is partially filled with a keyboard. No other Sony models come close in the reading area since even the metal borders are smaller than in all other models and the screen is far larger. It has a disappearing keyboard built in to the screen.

I was considering a BN Nook but part of its screen is filled with a color LCD control panel reducing the reading area.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
Truttebol
Book worm
Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Cybook Gen3
I have received my PRS-600 last saturday. After a very long deliberation I decided I would give it a try despite the bad things I read about the screen.

I have a Cybook Gen 3 already and that has a very good and non-glaring screen but a very bad firmware update policy (see the threads in the Cybook forum). I was sick and tired of waiting for ePub support so I finaly ordered a PRS-600.

I was pleasantly surprised with the screen. It is not bad at all. Well, it's obviously not as good as the Cybook screen, but that's in the touchscreen technology. I expected it to be a lot worse. There is a bit of a glare, but that can disappear if you hold the device just slightly different against the light and the contrast is fine.

So, nothing wrong with it imho. I am very happy with my new Sony device.
Truttebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
MLDaeni
MLDaeni began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Yes, different people have different opinions, which is a good thing.
For me, I found PRS600 to be a great device, but the screen was much too difficult to read, so I returned it a few days ago. The story:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...816#post693816
MLDaeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
What's an SHMBO?
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
What's an SHMBO?
thanks for asking.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I really hate to bump this thread, but you are you telling us the SHMBO likes crap?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote