Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I gave up on my Kobo Touch a few months ago, bought the Sony PRST1 and never once regretted it. My T1 has only ever had 2 small glitches where it needed rebooting and that was it. I absolutely love it and would be hard-pressed to consider a Kobo of any kind again. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Yes, Sony certainly seem to getting a good wrap in this thread. Thanks.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #32
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Yes, Sony certainly seem to getting a good wrap in this thread. Thanks.
You're quite welcome. I swear I spent more time reading about how to fix my Kobo than I actually read ON it!
Good luck.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Is that a once-off thing, or does it do it often? Is this a new model Kindle or an older one?
Kindle Keyboard. One way or another, it needs a reboot, or experiences another significant issue (such as bookmark loss) maybe once every other day. I would rate it as being roughly as stable as Windows XP.

Do I have a bad unit? No, I've had several. Do paper bookmarks also sometimes fall out of a book in that backpack? Yes.

Perhaps the difference between myself, and those who report complete stability, is that my unit is truly mobile, going in and out of my backpack during my commute. Inside the Kindle brand cases (which ideally would prevent this), keys are getting randomly pressed.

However, not all problems are a jostling issue. My DW, who keep's her K4NT at home, somehow had a library book mysteriously disappear from her unit the other day. Never saw that before.

They apparently exist, but I have never seen a bug-free computer, and can't conceive of an eReader other than as a computer.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I have two Nook STRs, tried a Nook w/ Glowlight, have a Kobo Touch, and just picked up Kobo Glo yesterday.

The firmware on the Nooks seems pretty much bulletproof. I think I might have had to power a Nook down and reboot once, maybe twice ever. Would have kept the Glowlight, but the front lighting wasn't uniform enough, and the eight hotspots where the LEDs are at the top looked like a light bar. They should have either had the bezel overhang more or set the LEDs back further... Heck, the black bar like a Kobo Glo would have been more acceptable.

I've had a few issues with the Touch, but when the rubber hit the road I bought a Kobo Glo. Why? Uniform front lighting, far less of a hotspot issue, you really have to tip it down and look straight on to see it, Variable stroke width fonts, ability to load additional fonts, ability to automate Shelves with Calibre, and enough optimism to hope Kobo will sort out the firmware issues while continuing to offer features like I mentioned.

If the Nook would have offered the features noted and had much less in the way of LED hotspots, I would have kept it because of how good their firmware is, but alas not.

As it is, the only issue I have with the Glo is that one of my shelves insists on showing up as multiples even after removing the books and shelves and trying again, but it did drop from 3 multiples, to two, so perhaps I'll rinse and repeat and see if the other one goes away. I can tell you it is not a Kobo server issue, unless Kobo also monitors shelves created for side loaded epubs?

Let's be honest, Kobo is likely buggier in terms of firmware, but they also offer features others do not, so the hope is that they will clean up their acts. I think what they really need is a real martinet to head up their testing and set a new bug eliminations before anything else priority. No more changes until ALL bugs are eradicated. I don't care if they have to make everybody wear a Starship Troopers uniform to work everyday until it's done and institute corporal punishment, but THE BUGS MUST BE ERADICATED!

They might also try telling everyone that, "Your positions are secure only until you're killed, or I find somebody better!"

Ok, a little Starship Troopers humor, come on, you know you liked something about that movie.

Last edited by TechniSol; 01-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #35
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Somehow, instead, I am seeing Rimmer in charge of Lister trying to eliminate bugs.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #36
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I think what they really need is a real martinet to head up their testing and set a new bug eliminations before anything else priority.
No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Tech time to market is too crucial for martinets to block hardware release. They can, however, stop better-than-the-alternative bug fixes from going into the next software update. Plus, they can inspire your best programmers to quit.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
As it is, the only issue I have with the Glo is that one of my shelves insists on showing up as multiples even after removing the books and shelves and trying again, but it did drop from 3 multiples, to two, so perhaps I'll rinse and repeat and see if the other one goes away. I can tell you it is not a Kobo server issue, unless Kobo also monitors shelves created for side loaded epubs?
I would think (and others more qualified than me could tell us for sure) that the shelf itself IS synced to the Kobo servers even if the contents of the shelf isn't -- the server would have no way to know if it had Kobo content on it or not. From what I've seen the shelf is getting duplicated in the database on the device, so as long as the server thinks there is 2 of the same shelves it's likely causing it to duplicate. I'd also argue it's a server issue (at least for most people -- there are always outliers ) since it comes and goes for people at around the same time. I'd also argue that it's a server issue since Kobo has indicated it was and that they were working on it .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Tech time to market is too crucial for martinets to block hardware release. They can, however, stop better-than-the-alternative bug fixes from going into the next software update. Plus, they can inspire your best programmers to quit.

You'd have to have some "best programmers" first! LOL!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #39
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Well if we are going to make a RD reference...
Programmers = Scutters
Supervisor = Rimmer
Management = Lister
Marketing = Cat
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #40
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
I've had a few issues with the Touch, but when the rubber hit the road I bought a Kobo Glo. Why? ... ability to automate Shelves with Calibre
Er...? I'm doing that with the Touch.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #41
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Well if we are going to make a RD reference...
Programmers = Scutters
Supervisor = Rimmer
Management = Lister
Marketing = Cat
And Holly?
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #42
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
And Holly?
Rakuten. Can't decide if they're Holly 1 or Holly 2 (dumb or dumberer), though.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Did it ever lock up because of the epub - like Kobo does on the % processing screen just after you add new files?
One of my co-workers has had issues with some corrupted epubs on his Sony reader. Unlike the Kobo, it did not lock up but rather spread the corruption to files loaded after the corrupted file so you got multiple books that were garbage when you attempted to read them. He also ran into an issue a few years back where some epubs converted by Calibre caused his reader to reboot though that was fixed a couple of Calibre releases later.

Personally, I find that using epubcheck or the version of Flightcrew's epub validator built into Sigil will detect the majority of corrupted epubs before you sideload them.

Sigil will make changes to the structure of the epub file when you save the file but those changes make the epub conform to the standard epub structure -- the mimetype file alone in the root of the zipped file, the META-INF folder with the container.xml file and an OEBPS folder with it's two files for toc and content and subfolders for text, styles, images, fonts, etc. so the structure change does not bother me.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-12-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: egregious typos... can I blame them on auto-correct?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #44
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One of my co-workers has had issues with some corrupted epubs on his Sony reader. Unlike the Kobo, it did not lock up but rather spread the corruption to files loaded after the corrupted file so you got multiple books that were garbage when you attempted to read them. He also ran into an issue a few years back where some epubs converted by Calibre caused his reader to reboot though that was fixed a couple of Calibre releases later.

Personally, I find that using epubcheck or the version of Flightcrew's epub validator built into Sigil will detect the majority of corrupted epubs before you sideload them.

Sigil will make changes to the structure of the epub file when you save the file but those changes make the epub conform to the standard epub structure -- the mimetype file alone in the root of the zipped file, the META-INF folder with the container.xml file and an OEBPS folder with it's two files for toc and content and subfolders for text, styles, images, fonts, etc. so the structure change does not bother me.

Regards,
David
If it's that well formalised, and checkable, sounds like something Calibre desperately needs to conform to, and implement - of course, it may do this already, I wouldn't know, as everything from Calibre has been accepted by my KT up to now.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #45
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Robko,

I transferred epubs from calibre that were set up with shelves and worked fine with no duplication on my Touch, and found I had multiple shelves for only one series on the Glo, without any sync to the Kobo servers. WiFi was off. Please explain how that is a Kobo Server issue?

I'll give heavy odds it is either a Kobo internal database or firmware issue, or calibre has a bug, etc. Since it also seems to be happening to people syncing to Kobo's servers and apparently not transferring from Calibre then I'd lean toward it being a firmware bug that affects the internal database by occasionally creating a duplicate record. Perhaps, if a transfer doesn't complete properly and is restarted a second shelf record gets inserted... Who knows? Mere guesswork.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote