Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Yeah I know. Which is why I'm confused as to his half truths. He said you can save a link on the desktop & then have it on the phone. iOS can do this. He mentioned having all of his bookmarks sync'd between devices, while he didn't mention specifically that iOS can't do this, he is creating a device vs device video, point is that this can also be done with ios. He says you can't buy an app on the desktop & have it automagically go to your iOS device, wrong, it's entirely possible. He was trying to copy an address in a different browser without success & making it the fault of ios, this is wrong, in safari this can be done. He has that search bar up top, cool. Then mentions the search bar in ios, but fails to mention it will also search the web, not just co tacts, apps, mail, etc. Siri can also give you all types of results as well, but he fails to mention that. We don't have widgets though. I wouldn't mind those. & system wide sharing I would like.

Those are just a few examples.

He doesn't mention the inconsistency of the back button in Android... does it go back a screen, exit the program, go back three screens? Is it back in the browser, or back a screen? Since Android apps are FORCED to handle the back button they have to choose some arbitrary action when there's nothing logical to do.

He doesn't mention that iOS forcing apps to close after 10 minutes (his complaint about background downloads stopping) can be a good thing. Poorly written apps like Rhapsody can't [as easily] kill the performance of your entire system by running all of the time even when you're not using them and there's no reason whatsoever for them to be running.

He doesn't mention the drawback of system-wide sharing, how the permissions system is a bit of a leaky sieve. Full SD filesystem access (which almost all apps ask for) means that all apps can read data from all others. Yes, iOS makes it harder to share data and treat it like a raw filesystem, but it also makes it harder for mischief.

Sure, Android can be customized like crazy, but I found that I seldom customized my Android phone and always ended up with a fairly basic setup. All of those widgets are apps that are constantly running and using system resources. Maybe less and less important, but I suspect that Apple will start to allow them in limited ways as their hardware can support it without affecting the overall experience.

Last year (around late Oct) I was thinking of buying a tablet. I bought one online and then went to the store to play with them again... after playing with the iPad I kept realized how much smoother the UI was and how polished it looked. Then I'd go play with the Android tablets... after a few random reboots, launcher crashes, hangs, and other jerkiness I emailed the place where I'd ordered mine, cancelled my order, and bought an iPad. After a week with the iPad my phone was up for renewal so I jumped in feet first and bought an iPhone 4S. Sure, I made the jump just before ICS started coming out on everything, and maybe ICS would have solved 80% of my complaints, but I still follow Android blogs and news and still don't see any reason to regret my decision.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
He said you can save a link on the desktop & then have it on the phone. iOS can do this.
Actually, AFAIK iOS doesn't do what he was showing. He was showing a feature called Chrome To Phone (it may have been renamed since I last used it). It would allow you to highlight something on your desktop in Chrome... a URL, an address, a phone number, etc... and send it to the Android device, which would act on it appropriately. I didn't use it much because it often took as long for it to show up as it took to manually enter it, but that may have improved since.

Quote:
He says you can't buy an app on the desktop & have it automagically go to your iOS device, wrong, it's entirely possible.
Not quite as easily as on Android. On Android all you need is a web browser, nothing like iTunes as a middleman. You can't even shop the iTunes store in a browser, it always insists on going to the iTunes app. If I'm on somebody else's computer (say work) I don't want to be tied to iTunes. I usually end up searching on the computer, then open the app store on my phone in these cases.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Actually, AFAIK iOS doesn't do what he was showing. He was showing a feature called Chrome To Phone (it may have been renamed since I last used it). It would allow you to highlight something on your desktop in Chrome... a URL, an address, a phone number, etc... and send it to the Android device, which would act on it appropriately. I didn't use it much because it often took as long for it to show up as it took to manually enter it, but that may have improved since.

Not quite as easily as on Android. On Android all you need is a web browser, nothing like iTunes as a middleman. You can't even shop the iTunes store in a browser, it always insists on going to the iTunes app. If I'm on somebody else's computer (say work) I don't want to be tied to iTunes. I usually end up searching on the computer, then open the app store on my phone in these cases.
Point one: he was specifically showing a car website & wanted it on his phone cause he was leaving the house. In safari you can save it to a reading list, bring up that reading list in safari on ions & there it is. Same thing. & I DO know this works. Not AFAIK, I do.

Point 2: fine. You can't do it in a browser. But he should have mentioned that you can buy from iTunes & it will start downloading on any iOS device right away. To say flat out that you just can't do it is a untrue. I wouldn't be surprised if they change this soon.

Why is it difficult for people to understand that iOS is not as difficult or restrictive as one might think.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #19
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Why is it difficult for people to understand that iOS is not as difficult or restrictive as one might think.
Tone is a bit hard to detect in posts, but you come across as rather defensive after I posted two posts saying that I switched to iOS and haven't looked back, one of which gave some of the strong points of iOS over Android. I just gave my perspective as a former (2 year) Android user and current (6 month) iOS user, pointing out that some of the things that he said were mostly true.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-13-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Because, compared to the competition, it is restrictive.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #21
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Tone is a bit hard to detect in posts, but you come across as rather defensive after I posted two posts saying that I switched to iOS and haven't looked back, one of which gave some of the strong points of iOS over Android. I just gave my perspective as a former (2 year) Android user and current (6 month) iOS user, pointing out that some of the things that he said were mostly true.
That was a general statement. Yes I saw you are an iOS user & your post mentioning the drawbacks of android as a user.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moderator Notice
You may have noted that some posts have disappeared in this thread.

MobileRead is an international, family-friendly, discussion-based community and as such everyone is entitled to share his or her opinion POLITELY and to receive the same in response. This is a private community, and we REQUIRE that everybody abides by the rules of conduct laid out in our Posting Guidelines, the first rule of which is Discuss Things Politely.

There are obviously differing viewpoints, and no one is going to persuade the other that they are wrong. If you are unable to remain polite, it is better to refrain from posting anything and place the thread and/or member(s) on ignore. Do not continue the disagreements, acknowledge that views do differ, and move on.

Report and DO NOT respond.

Rudeness will not be tolerated.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote