Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Exclamation When you are locked out of your $1000 worth Amazon library.

http://consumerist.com/2011/11/amazo...es-shrugs.html

Quote:
I no longer have access to the nearly $1000 in Kindle content I have purchased. I disputed all of the Amazon credit card charges that I could, however there is still about 10 months of purchases I have lost because of this.
Centralization of your purchases on Amazon servers has its own disadvantages. In a battle to prevent piracy, Amazon has made centrifugation to a point of threshold, where if servers crack down in a calamity or your account becomes "locked"/"on hold" somehow, you lose access to all purchases.

There should be some way to solve this issue. For example, unsigned inaccessible copies of your books should be made available for download and personal storage. Kindle for PC can be made to authorize your account once and it can sign copies of books for your Kindle based on unique code for your device. (Similar to: iTunes signs firmware before installing it on iDevices)

What are your alternatives to this? How do you manage your digital library in crisis-free state?
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
http://consumerist.com/2011/11/amazo...es-shrugs.html

Centralization of your purchases on Amazon servers has its own disadvantages. In a battle to prevent piracy, Amazon has made centrifugation to a point of threshold, where if servers crack down in a calamity or your account becomes "locked"/"on hold" somehow, you lose access to all purchases.

There should be some way to solve this issue. For example, unsigned inaccessible copies of your books should be made available for download and personal storage. Kindle for PC can be made to authorize your account once and it can sign copies of books for your Kindle based on unique code for your device. (Similar to: iTunes signs firmware before installing it on iDevices)

What are your alternatives to this? How do you manage your digital library in crisis-free state?
Another lesson that you should always make a backup of your digital content! Never trust a website with the only copy of your digital files.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Another lesson that you should always make a backup of your digital content! Never trust a website with the only copy of your digital files.
Exactly... while it's still wrong of Amazon to basically ignore this person, if he had all of his content stored on his own media, he could say screw Amazon and just cut his losses without having actually lost money on all the books he already bought. I have a hard time feeling bad when people lose stuff they didn't care enough about to back up.

Last edited by banjobama; 11-23-2011 at 12:30 PM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I sure wouldn't let it go for a month without recontacting Amazon. I would call back the next day and say that I have not heard from someone and start moving up the chain of supervisors.

And this is another good reason for you to save your books to your computer and have backups in different places. If this were to happen to me I would have access to 95% of my books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well..

Reading The Consumerist is like watching a biased news station. You know that some elements might be true, and that there are "omissions" of facts.. you just don't know if it's critical omissions or not.

I've been burned by finding out The Truth later on on consumerist things.. so..

Forgive me if I don't grab the pitchforks
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
How do you back up eBooks you buy on Amazon? I tried Flash drives & CDs! But when I try to open them either on my PC or Kindle they say not there.....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Exactly. Who on Earth would NOT back up their purchases? This person has behaved very foolishly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How do you back up eBooks you buy on Amazon? I tried Flash drives & CDs! But when I try to open them either on my PC or Kindle they say not there.....
The same way that you back up any other file. Copy it to some storage medium.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Google Apprentice Alf.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly. Who on Earth would NOT back up their purchases? This person has behaved very foolishly.
I imagine 99% of Kindle users don't back up their purchases.
A major selling point of the Kindle is that (at the time unlike all other eReaders) it didn't need you to use a PC with it.
It is sold as a complete ecosystem, with Amazon storing your files for you.

From the Amazon Kindle page:
"Free Cloud Backup
We automatically back up your library in the cloud, so you never need to worry about losing your books. Re-download wirelessly anytime for free."

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-23-2011 at 12:41 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If the copy of the book was DRMed for a Kindle, and you try to open it with Kindle4PC, it will not work. DRM is device/app specific.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If the copy of the book was DRMed for a Kindle, and you try to open it with Kindle4PC, it will not work. DRM is device/app specific.
Sounds like a great reason to not use their system at all in the first place.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Sounds like a great reason to not use their system at all in the first place.
How is Adobe DRM any better?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Exactly... while it's still wrong of Amazon to basically ignore this person, if he had all of his content stored on his own media, he could say screw Amazon and just cut his losses without having actually lost money on all the books he already bought. I have a hard time feeling bad when people lose stuff they didn't care enough about to back up.
Problem is, he'd need to break the law in order to meaningfully backup his books to use in the future. Whilst he could backup the DRM'd versions, they'd only be useful on his current reading device (be it kindle or via the kindle app), amazon not allowing re-downloading to future devices means he'd have to break the DRM to keep using his purchases.

Not everyone is willing to or knows how to do so even if they care about backups.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
How is Adobe DRM any better?
I can open the file on my 950, my phone, and either one of my three computers?

I'm going to go back up my ebook library now. Be right back.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote