Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #106
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
At work, you know and (probably) trust your co-workers. So yeah, once vaccinated, I wouldn't wear a mask either. But out shopping, where you don't know the people around you? So far, I've been wearing a mask still. I don't trust the unknown strangers around me to be doing the right thing.
Ditto. The percentage of shoppers I see wearing masks in stores is far lower than the percentage of fully vaccinated people in my county. Therefore it seems highly likely that at least some of those unmasked shoppers are unvaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Covid is here to stay. What would you recommend? Masks and social isolation forever?

The only way out of this mess is to vaccinate. Should vaccination be made mandatory? I don't know. There would be an awful hullabaloo in that case, I'm afraid.
If Covid keeps spreading rapidly among the unvaccinated, maybe we will eventually reach herd immunity?

For now, I intend to keep wearing a mask in public. I know it's not as helpful to me as having the unvaccinated wear masks, but I don't have control over what those people do. If my wearing a mask provides me any protection I will keep wearing it. I'm fully vaccinated but I don't want to get one of those breakthrough infections I keep hearing about in the news. What if I unknowingly spread it to someone more vulnerable? I don't want to be that person.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #107
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Got my second dose two days ago. Still running a low-grade fever (it's going down though) and feeling pretty crummy in general.

It'll be nice to finally not be isolated to the apartment though. I still plan to wear a mask. Even before delta I planned on that.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-23-2021 at 07:45 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #108
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; RealMe X2 Pro
A very interesting article on NatGeo about nasal vaccines. If there's one notable upside to this pandemic, it's the accelaeration of R & D into treatments like this
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #109
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, 10th gen Kindle
Honestly, a lot of times we do things the way we do them because we've always done it that way.

Like, getting vaccinated in a pharmacy wasn't really a thing until the late 2000s swine flu pandemic.

And I suspect if COVID ever "goes away" (or at least stops being something that causes severe illness and becomes something akin to the common cold, which seems to be a somewhat plausible scenario) telemedicine will be more of a thing.

EDIT: Like it did for mRNA vaccines.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #110
Gardenman
Guru
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
For now, I intend to keep wearing a mask in public. I know it's not as helpful to me as having the unvaccinated wear masks, but I don't have control over what those people do. If my wearing a mask provides me any protection I will keep wearing it. I'm fully vaccinated but I don't want to get one of those breakthrough infections I keep hearing about in the news. What if I unknowingly spread it to someone more vulnerable? I don't want to be that person.
with you there 100%
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:51 AM   #111
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Also with you on that one! Because restrictions have been lifted, many people seem to assume it has all gone away and we are back to normall again!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #112
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Going by the numbers here, the vast majority of Covid-19 infections are found in the unvaccinated population who also account for an even larger majority of the hospitalizations and, sadly, deaths. Most of the cases are in the 20-29 age group with the 10-19 and 30-39 close behind.

Looking at the numbers, 23% of the population are supplying 76% of the infections, 25% of the population (one dose) are supplying 22% of the infections (the majority of the infections in those who were less than 3 weeks past that first shot) and 52% of the population (both doses) are supplying 2% of the infections.

One unfortunate item is that the rate of first dose vaccinations has slowed down and it's going to take till September to hit 85% of the population having at least their first dose.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #113
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
David, your numbers are very, very similar to Spain. But, here, the vaccination has slowed due to the lack of dosis, no interest (BTW, in my province, today they have said that the 80% of the population older that 16 has the first dose, and the 60% both of them).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #114
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
David, your numbers are very, very similar to Spain. But, here, the vaccination has slowed due to the lack of dosis, no interest (BTW, in my province, today they have said that the 80% of the population older that 16 has the first dose, and the 60% both of them).
Here, it seems that while the doses are available, there is around 15-20 percent of the population who are opposed to being vaccinated themselves. The current estimate is that in a couple of months, the province is going to be divided into those who are fully vaccinated and those who are not going to be vaccinated.

The funniest thing to me is the screams are already starting about those who are not fully vaccinated will not be allowed to cross the border into the USA when it reopens. Their litany of reasons for not getting vaccinated, for the most part, sound like copy and paste from Florida osteopath Dr. Joseph Mercola who is, from several reports, making millions off his anti-vax, anti-scientific postings. Nonsense like Covid-19 vaccines alter your genetic code and turn you into a viral protein factory with no off switch as one example.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #115
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
In Nova Scotia demand for the vaccines are dropping... so they're closing community-based clinics and forcing people to reschedule any appointments made after August 15th. I wonder how many won't bother (or, in the case of this being an older population, don't know how). We haven't even reached our vaccine target yet.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-26-2021 at 02:57 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #116
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
There are anti-vaccines here, for sure, but I think this is one of the countries where the population favors more the vaccines. If we talk about age range, 100% of people older than 80 has the two shots, 97,9% between 70 and 79 and 85,4% between 60 and 69. It goes down from there because the criteria is the age till this moment.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #117
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At the vaccination clinic today I realized that the staff working there face a health hazard I'd never thought about - hoarse voices. So many very old, very DEAF people there, I heard a constant stream of repeated shouted instructions. My admiration for the staff went up even further as I thought of how drained they would feel after doing that all day.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:01 AM   #118
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Elderly/deaf people are a cause of constant friction at the Hospital that I used to work in before retirement; with the best will in the world, the staff try their hardest to set people straight,and aside from their deafness, many of them are simply stubborn and so fiercely independent,they simply choose not to 'hear'!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:57 AM   #119
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
Elderly/deaf people are a cause of constant friction at the Hospital that I used to work in before retirement; with the best will in the world, the staff try their hardest to set people straight,and aside from their deafness, many of them are simply stubborn and so fiercely independent,they simply choose not to 'hear'!

The bolded bit seems relevant to the clinic I attended - it was supposed to have 7 vaccinators, but only had 5. One of the staff signing people in kept saying to one angry elderly man, "we're two down", but no matter how many times she repeated it, all he did was rant loudly and at length about how absurd it was that there were only 2 vaccinators on duty.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #120
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, 10th gen Kindle
Sounds about right, not saying that all old people are a massive pain in the ass to deal with, but in my two years plus working in a grocery store, the customers that are a massive pain in the ass to deal with are almost all old people or Instacart shoppers.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote