Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
zobo
zobo began at the beginning.

Device: h2o
epub diary/journal

Greetings!

Having failed to get local javascript working on my kobo aura I've been thinking about other useful things to do with it apart from reading ...

Has anybody experimented with a diary or journal - page or week per view - for a specific year, and entries being made by annotation?

I'm suprised not to find an epub diary/journal available from the usual sources - it seems such an obvious idea, with great potential for original content in the form of "thoughts for the day" or pictures and layout.

Zobo
zobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I haven't seen one.
An application for writing epubs is something that I search the play store for regularly.
Surely someone will make one eventually.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Data has to be converted into ePub, so it is not really possible to input directly into ePub. At least internally, an app would have to take the input, and convert it. Seems unlikely. There are tons of apps that let you create documents, of various formats. Use one of those. Why does it need to be ePub? Unless the Kobo does not let you install apps. In that case, get a device that does. Problem solved.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
zobo
zobo began at the beginning.

Device: h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Data has to be converted into ePub, so it is not really possible to input directly into ePub. At least internally, an app would have to take the input, and convert it. Seems unlikely. There are tons of apps that let you create documents, of various formats. Use one of those. Why does it need to be ePub? Unless the Kobo does not let you install apps. In that case, get a device that does. Problem solved.
Answering in reverse order...

I have crates of old devices that allow me to enter and save text - the Kobo is the latest toy.

ePub is open source/specification so the most susceptible to tweaking/hacking. Because nobody seems to have come up with this idea and either marketed it or made it freely available is challenge enough.

The Kobo allows annotation of both PDF and ePub - I find drawbacks with PDFs that are answered in using ePub.

"Dead tree" diary makers still seem to be in business - seems to be something missed by ePub authors - though I have found a few decorative calendars.

Zobo
zobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobo View Post
ePub is open source/specification so the most susceptible to tweaking/hacking. Because nobody seems to have come up with this idea and either marketed it or made it freely available is challenge enough.
Ah, the myth of the Open EPUB strikes again!

It is irrelevant anyway, since TXT, Markdown, HTML are all open formats and work just fine in the note-taking, journaling, and diary apps that already exist.

Well, mostly Markdown, or something similar in spirit.
Few people in their right mind draft content in raw HTML.

And that is what EPUB is -- HTML, wrapped in a ZIP file.
So why on earth do you need an EPUB editor on your ereader? What is wrong with an HTML editor?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I haven't seen one.
An application for writing epubs is something that I search the play store for regularly.
Surely someone will make one eventually.
You don't need a special application. Simply type away in text. Then use Sigil and style sheets to format the way you want it. Heck, you can even use Calibre to run the formatting through. Does a fine job with the .txt files I converted.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The OP wanted a way to do this on his/her kobo, not the computer.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
You don't need a special application. Simply type away in text. Then use Sigil and style sheets to format the way you want it. Heck, you can even use Calibre to run the formatting through. Does a fine job with the .txt files I converted.
That's pretty much the point.

Sigil and Calibre don't run on Android.
I want to make epubs on my android phone and send them to my ereader without needing a computer too.
I am an outdoor person and I don't spend huge amounts of time at home.
When I got my first net book I ditched computer gaming as a hobby to be out more.
My hands don't work like they used to so I need to type for my writing to be legible.
An android writing program that made epubs would be great.
I admit there are some text programs I could use on the Onyx Boox I86ml, but I can't carry that in my pocket.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote