Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #16
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
But you have to think:

What are the actual chances of "Mr." or "p." landing at the end of a line?
>95%+ exist within the line

Only a handful are going to land at the very end of a line.
In ebooks, probably more likely, since it'll be read on skinnier devices + larger fonts

but we're still talking about a very small percentage.
All true (esp. the small percentage)

I asked originally because reading on my Kindle there was a

Quote:
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah F. M.
Lastname
blah blah blah blah blah blah
construct and it just grated. Once it gets to the Kindle, it's too late unless I edit it again

I prefer ragged right and the Hyphenate PI (again personal preference) so I said,

"Paul, Reg Ex can fix this"

Quote:
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
F. M. Lastname blah blah blah blah blah blah
Then I saw some

Quote:
blah blah blah blah blah F. Lastname blah blah blah blah blah blah
and got stuck on the RegEx. The other cases just occurred to me since there was a chance, e.g.

Quote:
blah blah blah blah blah December
25, 2021
blah blah blah blah blah

All the other cases you mentioned, I most likely won't ever see and will just leave them to the professionals who are working with print
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:13 PM   #17
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Yep, so those regexes I gave should help. Just adjust them slightly for your specific frustrations.

And yeah, I know how you feel... I didn't really notice any of that stuff until I started to do Print.

Then I started to pay attention to even more micro-level issues, and now I can't unsee the egregious linebreaks/widows/orphans in books as I read them!

1.5% bad linebreaks? That means 1.5% need to die!

Side Note: But my mind is even worse now... Wrongly placed hyphen? DIE!

In the history book, I caught a:

Code:
blah blah blah blah Pet-
rograd
Pe-tro-grad is the correct hyphenation!!!!!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-31-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert