Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Some bugs in 1.3

I've using a Nook about a couple of weeks and I've found some flaws in 1.3 firmware.

Most important one is if metadata has accented vocals or foreign signs (like Spanish ñ) the texts are showed corrupted in Library. This happens even in purchased books like "Cuentos the Vacaciones" by Ramón y Cajal. It was working well in 1.0 version, then this seems a regression bug.

Another not less important is viewer does not support bold text. For example, in "The God Delusion" by Dawkins, the introduction is a mix on bold, italics and cites and PC B&N reader shows ok, b ut Nook (and iPad) does not show bold text.

The third flaw is battery duration: About two days with full reading.

Of course there are more problems but less important, like poor font size graduation between sizes, slow response in some circumstances, very slow and non ergonomic in some tasks like dictionary search and annotation (compared with Kindle), and the personal library is practically unusable when you have a lot of books (you cannot search for books, for example).

I know I can softroot it and install some extensions but those extensions does not solve the main problems...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
frossie
Geek Herder
frossie is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
The nook definitely supports bold text - I have books that use it.

However I have noticed format differences between some books on the nook and iphone reader, which leads me to believe that they are not using the same markup parser, and therefore some may have bugs when others do not. Also, B&N carries two different formats of each book in some cases, so it may be the case that one is wrong and the other is not. You should raise that issue with customer support giving them the specific example.

Not sure what "full reading" means, but my batter life is definitely better than two days with 1.3. Of course I am in airplane mode unless I am dowloading new content.

More/better font selection would definitely be nice, can't argue with that.
frossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by frossie View Post
The nook definitely supports bold text - I have books that use it.

However I have noticed format differences between some books on the nook and iphone reader, which leads me to believe that they are not using the same markup parser, and therefore some may have bugs when others do not. Also, B&N carries two different formats of each book in some cases, so it may be the case that one is wrong and the other is not. You should raise that issue with customer support giving them the specific example.

Not sure what "full reading" means, but my batter life is definitely better than two days with 1.3. Of course I am in airplane mode unless I am dowloading new content.

More/better font selection would definitely be nice, can't argue with that.

I agree about battery life, It sounds more like he has a bad battery. When I have Wi Fi on and do some shopping and do alot of LCD screen use as well as a good chunk of reading I can easily squeeze out 4 days.

In airplane mode, I can get up 8 to 9 days, I usually charge it as soon as it gets under 20% So I probably could actually get 10 if I wanted to push it.

But yeah if you are only getting 2 days then it sounds like you got a defective battery.

Last edited by boswd; 06-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I don't know what you mean by full reading?

I commute to work by train (4 hours there and back) so I read about 4 hours a day on my nook. With airplane mode on, I recharge on my days off, so I get a good 5 days with charge still left on my nook.

I'm rather happy with that.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@iandix, I mean "full reading" have the device most of time powered on reading in a day (for example, 8 or 10 hours reading).

Does Airplane mode disable the CDMA modem? Because I think the problem is there: the CDMA modem tries to connect and as I'm in Spain it uses all battery retrying connection (The same happens with my old US Kindle: if I power on connection, it eats the battery in two days. With modem disconnected I only need to recharge it once or twice a month).
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
@iandix, I mean "full reading" have the device most of time powered on reading in a day (for example, 8 or 10 hours reading).
You have 8-10 hours every day to read?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
rfog
Guru

XDDDDDDDDDDDDD

No, but some weekends I do my "only reading weekend" and I only read. Of course not all weekends but I have at least 2-4 hours/day of reading, divided between technical reading (computer related, programming, etc) and free reading.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Does Airplane mode disable the CDMA modem?
yes it does and it just eats the battery when you have 3g and wi-fi running.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
frossie
Geek Herder
frossie is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Does Airplane mode disable the CDMA modem? Because I think the problem is there: the CDMA modem tries to connect and as I'm in Spain it uses all battery retrying connection
Yes. Putting on airplane mode will turn off your phone and wifi connection (your device will neither transmit nor attempt to receive) and will significantly improve your batter life. Really there is no reason not to be in airplane mode unless you are actively wanting to connect to the bookstore, or have just switched timezone and want to pick a new time signal.

It's not just a question of battery life for your convenience; most batteries have a fixed number of charge/discharge cycles, so the more you cycle them the sooner you will need a new one.

I certainly I am interested to know what your batter life is like reading 8-10 hours a day with airplane mode on. Though of course it does not strictly matter how many hours you read, but how many page turns you do.
frossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
rfog
Guru

@iandix, @frosie, thanks to both.

I will try to meter with airplane mode on. I'm a very fast reader -at least in Spanish and about 1000 words/min for non-technical books. In English I'm more slow, mainly due words I do not know.

Tomorrow I will put to 100% charge in airplane mode on and more or less count the page books i read.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
virplay
Enthusiast
virplay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I've using a Nook about a couple of weeks and I've found some flaws in 1.3 firmware.

Most important one is if metadata has accented vocals or foreign signs (like Spanish ñ) the texts are showed corrupted in Library. This happens even in purchased books like "Cuentos the Vacaciones" by Ramón y Cajal. It was working well in 1.0 version, then this seems a regression bug.

Another not less important is viewer does not support bold text. For example, in "The God Delusion" by Dawkins, the introduction is a mix on bold, italics and cites and PC B&N reader shows ok, b ut Nook (and iPad) does not show bold text.

The third flaw is battery duration: About two days with full reading.

Of course there are more problems but less important, like poor font size graduation between sizes, slow response in some circumstances, very slow and non ergonomic in some tasks like dictionary search and annotation (compared with Kindle), and the personal library is practically unusable when you have a lot of books (you cannot search for books, for example).

I know I can softroot it and install some extensions but those extensions does not solve the main problems...

Can I read spanish books in the nook? Any problems with specific spanish characters like the ñ?
Thx
virplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by virplay View Post
Can I read spanish books in the nook? Any problems with specific spanish characters like the ñ?
Thx
Yes you can (I do without problem). The only problem is in metadata (1.0 worked fine).

But Nook dictionary is English-English and it cannot be changed.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
virplay
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes you can (I do without problem). The only problem is in metadata (1.0 worked fine).

But Nook dictionary is English-English and it cannot be changed.
ahh gracias. Dmans metadata
The better to use firmware 1.2?

Thx
virplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
rfog
Guru

1.2 has the same metadata problem. :-(
Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
virplay
Enthusiast

Quote:
1.2 has the same metadata problem. :-(
thx