Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
eBook or PDF-> ePub?

Hey guys,

So, as I've been browsing around, I've noticed that it seems rather easy to convert pdf files to epub files with calibre, and then put those into my PC sony reader library (waiting for my sony prs-600 reader)

For those of you who have both formats, which do you prefer? I'm not seeing much difference between an ebook and a pdf conversion, although I have heard that it's sometimes difficult to read PDF files...however, with calibre it looks like you can increase the size of the font.

What do you guys think is the best?

Last edited by Cactusgod; 11-26-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I found that it depends on the original formatting of the pdf. Some work really well on the Sony reader, others don't.

I usually try to convert the ones that don't work to ePub but that doesn't always work either.

Personal taste I guess is what it comes down to. And don't worry, you'll work it out soon enough.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I personally my preferences are.

PDF designed for my reader > ePub > PDF not designed for my reader

I've even taken PDFs, converted them to ePubs, and then converted the ePubs back to PDFs made for the dimensions of my reader in my preferred font/font-sizes.

But it depends a lot on what you read. If, like me, you read technical articles containing mathematical or other symbols, PDF is pretty much the only game in town.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Geez! So much to think about...I never realized how much there was to know about eReaders. I dont know anything about my size or dimensions or anything haha. I suppose that'll all come eventually ;p
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote