Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Question Any upcoming sales/discounts for Kindle?

After reading about and comparing the pros and cons of various eInk devices over the past week, I'm convinced to buy a Kindle 2.

But before I take the plunge, I was wondering whether there are any upcoming sales/discounts or similar offers for the holiday season. If so, I might as well wait a couple more weeks to take advantage of it.

What do you think?
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Haven't heard about anything, but that doesn't mean there won't be. The thing is they just dropped the price not long ago and I don't think they're having any trouble selling them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Good point. Even if I were Amazon, I wouldn't see any reason to drop the prices even further.

But then again the holiday season will be starting soon, and nook, the supposed "Kindle Killer" will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Darn, my heart's telling me that I want that Kindle *RIGHT NOW*, but my head's telling me to wait at least for another week...
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbleu View Post
Darn, my heart's telling me that I want that Kindle *RIGHT NOW*, but my head's telling me to wait at least for another week...
I'd say go ahead and buy it now. True, the price might conceivably drop in a week. It might also go up. Who knows where we'll all be next week. Go for it now.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Wait till next week and buy it and that should take you to the holiday season for your return since you have 30 days to return it.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Wait till next week and buy it and that should take you to the holiday season for your return since you have 30 days to return it.
Amazon has extended its return period until Jan 31st through the Christmas season. I'm not sure they have a formal policy about price cuts, but in previous cases Kindle owners got a refund if the price dropped during the return window.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Amazon has extended its return period until Jan 31st through the Christmas season. I'm not sure they have a formal policy about price cuts, but in previous cases Kindle owners got a refund if the price dropped during the return window.
Wait... do you mean that the return period goes into effect NOW? So, if I buy it today, I have until Jan 31 to return it?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
no... it means that you have UNTIL the 31st to return it. that is the end of the grace period

*oops* read it wrong

Last edited by kindlekitten; 11-16-2009 at 03:01 PM.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Wait... do you mean that the return period goes into effect NOW? So, if I buy it today, I have until Jan 31 to return it?
Yes. From Amazon's help pages:
Quote:
Holiday Returns Policy: Items sold by Amazon.com and shipped between November 1 and December 31, 2009, may be returned until January 31, 2010, for a full refund, subject to our other return guidelines listed below.
The other guidelines include Kindle-specific instructions, but I think the Jan 31st extension still applies. Call or email Amazon if you want confirmation.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I wouldn't be suprised to see a price drop in early Jan 2010 after the xmas sales. It's nearly a year since the release of Kindle 2 (Feb 2009), so by Jan they might start dumping Kindle 2s at discounted prices in preparation for Kindle 3.

I'm waiting till Feb 2010 to see if an Apple tablet appears and/or a Kindle 3 appears.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
DX

I'm in the market for a DX. Haven't seen any sales lately, but if you get the refurbished model and take the Visa $30 off, you can get a DX for $369 before tax. Anyone see any flaws with that?
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by menevets View Post
I'm in the market for a DX. Haven't seen any sales lately, but if you get the refurbished model and take the Visa $30 off, you can get a DX for $369 before tax. Anyone see any flaws with that?
Unless you live in Washington state you won't be paying any tax.

The refurbished model has the full one year warranty, and can be returned within 30 days if you aren't happy with it, paying only return postage.

The card........meh. I had it for a while, paid the balance in full each month, just do not care for Chase bank and how they handle their online accounts. Just my opinion there.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Kindle 2 refurb is $189.

Hard to beat that deal.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Kindle 2 refurb is $189.

Hard to beat that deal.
Woohoo! So they are back down to 189!

Does the "return until Jan 31" policy apply to refurbished models, as well? If so, I may bite.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Woohoo! So they are back down to 189!

Does the "return until Jan 31" policy apply to refurbished models, as well? If so, I may bite.
Well, we know you have at least 30 days.......you may want to check with Amazon CS on the Jan 31st date just to make sure.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote