Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
JulyMama
JulyMama began at the beginning.

Device: Waiting for my Kindle 3! Sony PRS-300
slow page turning

Has anyone noticed really slow page turning on the prs-300? I only have 45 novels on it at the moment, but I noticed that I start reading a book and the page turn only takes one or two seconds, but after a while it takes 10-20 seconds. It may not seem like a lot but when you're reading a book 10-20 seconds is a long time to wait for the page to turn.
Is there a way I can avoid this? or correct it once it starts?
It is so irritating, I am thinking of calling Sony and asking for a replacement, or if this is the same on all of the readers of this model, I may just upgrade, though I really like my 300 and I don't want to change.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
JulyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Hi, JulyM. What format of book are you reading? No page turn should ever take more than a fraction of a second. You either have a very poorly formatted book, or a defective 300.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
JulyMama

I'm reading epub format, I converted from Lit using calibre
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Hmmm. I have no experience with making an ePub from a lit file. But I convert a lot of lit files to lrf with calibre, with no problems.

Can you take the same lit file and convert it to lrf and see if that corrects your problem?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Strange. I got 300 LRF-books on my 300, and page turning time is always the same and fast, < 1 sec.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Is it doing it on every page turn? I've had a couple of instances where I'll get to the middle of a book and suddenly one page turn takes several seconds longer than usual, but after that one turn, the following ones are back to the normal less-than-a-second turns.
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
You either have a very poorly formatted book, or a defective 300.
It sounds like it's a problem with your files. Do you have a problem with purchased epubs?
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sounds like a calibre issue. Bad formatting...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Have you tried deleting the history for that book? I feel like I've heard others complain about this problem on the 505, but I can't remember the fix. I've had slow page turns with PDFs, but nothing that accumulates over time. Does it do this with all files or just this one? Are all your books formatted the same way or are they from different sources? Have you tried using a book downloaded from the Sony store, as opposed to one converted on your computer?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Slow pages

Most of my books are LIT coverted to ePub on Calibre. My wife and I each have PRS-300's and I have never seen a page change take longer than a fraction of a second. Before you go complaining to Sony I would download any free book from their site and see if you still have the problem. It's going to be pretty hard to convince some tech support person that their product is defective when your using third party, even though we all know it's great, conversion software on non-supported formats.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I have a mix of epub, lrf, and pdf files on my 300. (About 200 books loaded now--I revamped my expanded "to read" list!) No slow page turns on any of them. I'm pretty sure it's not the 300, but the files, as mentioned above.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 AM   #12
JulyMama

Thanks for the suggestions, I re-converted them to txt, as I didn't really know the different file types, I am pretty new at this. But It's every few books I read I have the same problem, it was never as bad as with this book though. It got up to 28 seconds before turning. Anyways, after I changed it it was fine. So I guess it's the file type? I will use a different format from now on and see if that makes a difference.
If not, i will try downloading a free e-book from sony and see if it's the same.
Thanks everyone!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
There are lots of books on this site here in ePub, lrf, and pdf format. You can try any and all of these easily.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
rschlack
rschlack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader pocket edition
I had the same problem. It would take 5 or 6 seconds to turn a page on my sony psr-300. The book was an epub about 350 pages long. It got so bad that a reboot of the device was taking 20 minutes. I assume it was trying to reformat the last book I had opened. If I pushed the font size button I would be in for a 5 minute wait. I tried formatting the flash memory and converting to other formats. I was ready to give up and buy a kindle, but after deleting the PDF and EPUB versions of this book off the device and giving the device some time, my ebook went back to normal operation. I can still read the book in RTF format and it's quick now. But I want to stress that until I actually deleted the epub off the device things were not working the way they should. I'll post back if the device goes crazy again without that epub book.
rschlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
I presume that when the page turn involves a change of file (remember the epub is split in to 260kb sized chunks) there may be a slower response for those pages. If you have a setup in Calibre to split on smaller sizes then you might see it more often.

I also noticed that some ebooks with graphics embeded in the pages are slower to turn.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote