Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I'll wait a few days for other posts, and then I'll try an upload if none object to the submission of the book.
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #17
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I've been researching copyrights more by studying the material on Project Gutenberg and at the US Copyright Office, and I am thoroughly confused and uncertain. Apparently, the only way to determine renewal for books in the period 1923-63, apparently, is to visit the US Copyright Office and search in their reading room OR pay $35.00 for a copyright search. Neither option is feasible, so one can't rely on the publication date of 1923-1963 of a US book and an internet search for renewal (such as the Stanford copyright site) as being sufficient for proof of public domain status. I think the only safe way for books where little if any info about the author is available on the internet is for them to be published before 1923; otherwise public domain status cannot be demonstrated. Likewise, for a US citizen to submit an ebook to MobileRead for any US book published after 1923 is probably unwise because public domain in the US cannot be established unless it already is available on Project Gutenberg (or Archive.org ?) in some form. The US does not recognize the date of author's death as relevant.

I'd appreciate help on this matter from anyone who has experience in determining copyright renewal.
Bob
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't know about the other staff here at MR, but I've found the Stanford archive to be reliable.

BTW, books published between 1950 and 1964 have renewal notices that can be checked at www.copyright.gov. So really the only years that should worry you is 1923 to 1949.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #19
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If they're from the '30s then you'll need to check if the copyright was renewed in the US. Here is a good place to check:
http://collections.stanford.edu/copy...1A53459D8CD4A9
Alright, I'll check this Nate.

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
bobcdy
Fanatic

Nate,
Thanks for the info. I think I finally understand the Stanford database significance: Proj. Gutenberg has a text version of data from the pertinent U.S. Copyright Office records for the years 1950-1993, and Stanford's database is based on the same files. According to U.S. law, renewals for the important period 1923-1963 must be filed 28 years after the original copyright was granted; thus for the Levinrew book, first copyrighted in 1933, renewal should have been requested in 1933 + 28 = 1961 - the record would be in the card catalog of the Copyright Office reading room if renewal was requested. The Pro. Gutenberg texts and the Stanford database covers renewals for all these years so that a search of either of these online record sources SHOULD be the same as searching the Copyright Office reading room records and the web searchable Copyright Office database that starts in 1978. Not finding renewals in the Stanford database should be sufficient to justify submission of an ebook, because the database (or the Proj. Gut. text files) is the best record source available.

If anyone has different opinions please let me know.
Bob
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
If anyone has different opinions please let me know.
Bob
I believe this to be the case, however there was a second edition published in 1945. I am not sure as to the status of a second edition's effect on a copyright date. But that edition, if it changes the date would also be in the Stanford database if renewed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #22
bobcdy
Fanatic

Dan,
I don't know the effect of the 2nd edition, either, but as you indicated, renewal of either edition should be in the database so I think it's safe to submit the book to MobilRead. I'll do this as soon as I check it over again.
Bob
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #23
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If you upload it, Bob, then please use the "report post" button and ask a moderator to move it to the US server.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #24
bobcdy
Fanatic

Patricia,
Yes, I'll do that (as soon as I figure out exactly how to upload - I believe there are some posts about this that I'll look at before trying anything).
Bob
Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #25
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just start a thread in the relevant book upload section.
Try and follow the guidelines for naming the thread (so that it appears properly in the upload section and can be searched for).
To attach the book, click on the manage attachments button at the bottom of the thread that you have just started, and follow the instructions.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #26
bobcdy
Fanatic

Patricia,
I just uploaded the book 'Death Points a Finger' but I'm not sure that I requested it be moved to the U.S. server in the correct way. I did not see a 'post button' anywhere so I used the 'contact' link that was given in the 'manage attachments' screen and requested the move. I hope this works ok.

Also, thanks for the info on how to upload. I was a bit confused until your post came through.
Bob
Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Bob,

When you look at any message in the forum, on the left side, below the poster's name, is a small button with "!" on it. This is the "Report Post" button. When you upload a file which needs to be moved to the US server, after you've uploaded the book, please click this button on the resulting message in the forum and say "Please move this book to the US server" or something similar.

I have moved this book for you.

Thanks,

Last edited by HarryT; 07-09-2009 at 04:09 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #28
bobcdy
Fanatic

Thanks, HarryT. I would never have found the post button on my own.
I assume that any US book whose lack of copyright is based on absence of renewal in the Stanford database should be moved from Canada to the US, and I'll do this for any other such book I upload.
Bob
Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
No one mentioned in this entire thread that Will Levinrew (aka William Levine) was born in 1881 and his last known work at Library of Congress is from 1945. That would make him 128 years old already and 77 in 1958. In the absence of proof he seriously lout-lived his peers born in 1881, this is a low-risk for violation.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #30
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
No one mentioned in this entire thread that Will Levinrew (aka William Levine) was born in 1881 and his last known work at Library of Congress is from 1945. That would make him 128 years old already and 77 in 1958. In the absence of proof he seriously lout-lived his peers born in 1881, this is a low-risk for violation.
Ah, but a fair number of people do live until their eighties and nineties. I wouldn't want to take the risk. And in my post #12 in this thread I established that Mr Levinrew was alive in 1976.

We can't host any of his work on our main Canadian server because it is still in Canadian copyright. But any works that have fallen into the US public domain (either because they are pre-1923, or later publications whose copyright was not renewed) can be put onto our US server.

Last edited by Patricia; 12-09-2009 at 09:04 PM.