Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre files left in Temp folder

I have just noticed that there appear to be hundreds of files with names that start with calibre_0.5.x in my Windows temp folder (where 'x' varies from 3 to 10). Should these files be getting left behind or is some component now failing to tidy up after itself?

I can obviously simply delete them, but I am wondering why they are accumulating in the first place.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
typically temp files are only left behind after an unclean shutdown. Also the file names should identify what component they're from which will help track down the leak
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Umm, dunno why you think that, kovid, but no, those temp files are not being deleted even with a clean shutdown. I think every conversion and every viewing generates temp files that are not deleted.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because the temp files calibre uses are designed to auto delete when the program shuts down. And they most definitely do auto delete for me.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I just deleted all the files and then restarted calibre and did a single file conversion. That created lots of temporarary files which WERE deleted on completion. They were the sorts of files I had previously found (~400Mb worth) left behind. When the job count went back to zero I was left with a single "worker.log" file which then disappeared on exiting calibre. This suggest to me that there is at least an attempt to clean up.

My guess is that sometimes the conversion thread has problems (perhaps even crashes) and that is when log files get left behind.

I guess it is not critical in that when one runs the Windows Disk Cleanup accessory all such files should get removed. It is just one should be aware of this as it can grardually consume disk space on one's system drive if you are not careful.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah that's what I figure, crashes of the calibre worker process leaving behind the temp files. I really can't see any other way they could be left behind
Old 05-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Actually, I remember now, that they were files from previous Calibre versions. They weren't all associated with crashes, I don't think, but perhaps so.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The crash need not be of the main program, just the worker process, which would most likely manifest in calibre as a job that never completes
Old 05-06-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The crash need not be of the main program, just the worker process, which would most likely manifest in calibre as a job that never completes
I had also noticed this when I was using Calibre with Windows. Doesn't happen on Ubuntu, though.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote