Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Contradictory error messages in ConvertLit

I just purchased a book from FictionWise that's only available in secure format. On the advice of several people on the forum, I chose Microsoft's Lit as it had been indicated to be the easiest to de-DRM and convert to a format that I can actually use.
I've tried using ConvertLit 1.8 and it is giving me contradictory error messages. First it tells me to enter the name of the folder it should create for the output. If I do so, I get an error message indicating that the folder doesn't exist.
So I created a folder, and then specified that same folder as the one in which to put the output file. Then it tells me that the folder already exists and that I need to delete it.
So I delete the folder, and then it tells me that the folder doesn't exist...
Help? I just want to read the book that I purchased, and since they refuse to sell it in a format that works with either of my ebook readers, I have to convert it.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
how very odd. what exactly are you trying to do ? downconvert ? just remove the drm ? are you using the gui or the command line ?

maybe try asking for a different function (explode instead of downconvert, for instance), leave the destination field alone and just modify the title of the exported file (alternately, make a copy of the file as a backup so you know you still have it, just in case).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once the MS Reader key is generated, the command you want to remove the DRM is as follows (from the command line)...

clit nameofdrminfectedebook.lit nameofdrmfreeebook.lit

Then you'll have a DRM free LIT which Calibre will happily convert to ePub, LRF, and/or Mobipocket.

What you are trying to do is extract the contents of the LIT file which is not always the best way to do it. All you need do is just strip out the DRM and convert. Besides, if you really do want to extract the contents of the LIT file, just strip the DRM and use lit2oeb which works better than ConvertLIT for extracting the contents.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-21-2009 at 09:28 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've never used the GUI of this. But, I think if you downconvert it doesn't need a folder, that is only needed if you explode.

If you are using the command line, show us it here. I assume you have followed the readme and created your .key file?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I've never used the GUI of this. But, I think if you downconvert it doesn't need a folder, that is only needed if you explode.

If you are using the command line, show us it here. I assume you have followed the readme and created your .key file?

BOb
To explode using ConvertLIT from the command line...

clit nameofdrminfectedebook.lit directorytoputtheexctractedfilesinto\

The \ has to be there and the directory name cannot already be created.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Stupid me, I messed up the key generation. It's working fine now. Thanks for the quick response.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once the MS Reader key is generated, the command you want to remove the DRM is as follows (from the command line)...

clit nameofdrminfectedebook.lit nameofdrmfreeebook.lit
I may be wrong, but this seems to run afoul of MobileRead's policy regarding DRM removing instructions. This is a bit too detailed.

I could be wrong though.

[Do bear in mind that I personally hate DRM with a burning passion, but we should strive to keep this forum out of legal problems.]
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote