Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Recommendations for a Road Trip read

I'm looking for a recommendation for my "Something for Everyone" challenge - A book about a road trip. The obvious choice might be "On The Road", but I read that years ago and prefer not to revisit.

Any suggestions? My tastes are fairly eclectic - anything will be considered, and I read my share of literary works, though I do favour harder hitting stuff - thrillers, crime, adventure, horror (of the Stephen King variety).

Last edited by orlok; 09-03-2016 at 07:25 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
In a way you could call Gaiman's American Gods a book about a road trip. I remember enjoying that one. I also remember liking Dave Eggers' You Shall Know Our Velocity, but IIRC the protagonists use different kinds of transport, so I'm not sure if it meets your criteria.

Then there's a wonderful, fun German novel by the late, great Wolfgang Herrndorf, Tschick, which has been translated into English under the title Why We Took the Car.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Since you said you read eclectically, here are some wildly differing options.

Contemporary YA: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson or Mosquitoland by David Arnold

Grim: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Historical: Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

Contemporary non YA: A Hundred Thousand Worlds, Bob Proehl or Are You Seeing Me? by Darren Groth

Fantasy: The Hobbit, obv, or basically any quest narrative

Humorous/memoir-y: In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

Wild card/crime: The Mereleigh Record Club Tour of New Zealand by Roy Vaughan

Even wilder card: the podcast Alice Isn't Dead

(and I'm sure you'll have read King's The Stand)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
In a way you could call Gaiman's American Gods a book about a road trip. I remember enjoying that one. I also remember liking Dave Eggers' You Shall Know Our Velocity, but IIRC the protagonists use different kinds of transport, so I'm not sure if it meets your criteria.

Then there's a wonderful, fun German novel by the late, great Wolfgang Herrndorf, Tschick, which has been translated into English under the title Why We Took the Car.
Thanks. Some research required on my part.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Since you said you read eclectically, here are some wildly differing options.

Contemporary YA: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson or Mosquitoland by David Arnold

Grim: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Historical: Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

Contemporary non YA: A Hundred Thousand Worlds, Bob Proehl or Are You Seeing Me? by Darren Groth

Fantasy: The Hobbit, obv, or basically any quest narrative

Humorous/memoir-y: In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

Wild card/crime: The Mereleigh Record Club Tour of New Zealand by Roy Vaughan

Even wilder card: the podcast Alice Isn't Dead

(and I'm sure you'll have read King's The Stand)
You have given that some thought, thanks! I've read The Road, The Hobbit and The Stand, as you guessed, but the rest I'll again need to look into.
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks. Some research required on my part.
Sorry 'bout that. I was thinking about trying to come up with what I remember about those books, but then decided that you will quickly and easily find more reliable information online.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Sorry 'bout that. I was thinking about trying to come up with what I remember about those books, but then decided that you will quickly and easily find more reliable information online.
No slight intended! I'm more than happy to dig into the recommendations myself. I like to read a few reviews at the same time, so I'd be doing that anyway.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A great classic, by Pirsig:

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Art-Motor...sr=#nav-subnav
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So here is a list compiled from my Goodreads account:

First off non-Ficton

A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Time_of_Gifts

Journey to a Revolution: A Personal Memoir and History of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 by Michael Korda
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...o_a_Revolution

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6563093-endurance

On the Trail of Genghis Khan: An Epic Journey Through the Land of the Nomads by Tim Cope
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...f-genghis-khan

The Consolations of the Forest: Alone in a Cabin on the Siberian Taiga by Sylvain Tesson
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-of-the-forest

Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana Jr.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...efore-the-mast

Now fiction. It's short because when I think of road trip books [that I've broadened to travel accounts by any means] I do think in terms of someone traveling to real places by real means. Otherwise most science fiction and fantasy books might qualify.

A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ssage_to_India

I have read all of these. Some I selected myself. Some were recommended by others or a choice of a book club, including the two running at this site. Some I liked, Some I didn't, but that should not necessarily deter you as some have high Goodread ratings or were enjoyed by others.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A great classic, by Pirsig:

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Art-Motor...sr=#nav-subnav
Ah yes. Recommended to my by my Systems Analysis lecturer many moons ago. A great read.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So here is a list compiled from my Goodreads account:

First off non-Ficton

A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Time_of_Gifts

Journey to a Revolution: A Personal Memoir and History of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 by Michael Korda
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...o_a_Revolution

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6563093-endurance

On the Trail of Genghis Khan: An Epic Journey Through the Land of the Nomads by Tim Cope
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...f-genghis-khan

The Consolations of the Forest: Alone in a Cabin on the Siberian Taiga by Sylvain Tesson
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-of-the-forest

Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana Jr.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...efore-the-mast

Now fiction. It's short because when I think of road trip books [that I've broadened to travel accounts by any means] I do think in terms of someone traveling to real places by real means. Otherwise most science fiction and fantasy books might qualify.

A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ssage_to_India

I have read all of these. Some I selected myself. Some were recommended by others or a choice of a book club, including the two running at this site. Some I liked, Some I didn't, but that should not necessarily deter you as some have high Goodread ratings or were enjoyed by others.
Thanks Hamlet. I agree that road trip can be broadly interpreted as a long journey of any kind - doesn't have to be a car. I guess it's about a journey with no fixed destination, or at least a route that could deviate on a whim, depending on what and who you encounter on the way.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Three Men in a Boat and its sequel Three Men on the Bummel (also known as Three Men on Wheels) about a bicycle tour through the German Black Forest.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A Passage to India is both not a road trip book and awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
For non-fiction there is William Least Heat-MoonBlue Highways, an account of his travels along America's backroads (which are shown in blue on old road maps) and mainly about the people he meets along the way.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63832.Blue_Highways

And Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson about a road trip to Las Vegas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_ocxvg2ccew1rgf69fo1_500.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	151370  
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Of course one of the most beautiful books of all time is a road trip novel (though it starts on a train), Fritz Mühlenweg's In geheimer Mission durch die Wüste Gobi, published in English in a slightly shortened version under the title Big Tiger and Christian. Long out of print though, and used copies are effing expensive.