Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 08-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #16
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Thank you for posting the files...

I have run into a (rather stupid) problem however...

I ran the Cybook update and it worked (sort of), gave me the checkerboard thingy again which I could have resolved by applying a proper Cybook Firmware I guess.
Instead, I decided to give the Netronix Firmware in the archive a try...it worked on my STAReBOOK, but now I can't get back to the Cybook firmware anymore...

I'll have to do some more testing, but with the firmware from the archive I now just get "different version, can't update" and that's it.On the upside, your firmware managed to properly patch the bootloader of my STAReBook and it now really behaves like a Cybook during booting, meaning that I can now get into the flashing utility by holding the centre key instead of having to have the right file on the card...another step towards a complete conversion...now...I only have to get rid of the Netronix firmware again...^^

EDIT: I reran the original conversion file and it got me back to Cybook, but not really...I get to the checkerboard part, but at the mometn I can't get further than that...the original method does not seem to work...will continue testing and report once I get somewhere...

UPDATE: I checked everything thoroughly and found that for some reason the main flash always got corrupted. I experimented a bit with formatting the drive and after a few tries it worked again. I then reapplied the original "hacked" Cybook firmware (after having run the update derek provided above), copied the required files over (just like during the original Cybook conversion) and now have a Cybook that seems to work a lot better than last time I converted. I can't say much yet, but the checkerboard errors when disconnecting from USB for example are gone now.

I'd recommend everybody who converted a STAReBOOK to rerun the procedure with the files Derek provided above...if I find any other improvements or problems I'll let you know.

Thanks Derek!

One thing that still does not work is upgrading the firmware using regular Cybook upgrades, so it's still not 100% cybook
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Thank you for posting the files...

*snipped*

I'd recommend everybody who converted a STAReBOOK to rerun the procedure with the files Derek provided above...if I find any other improvements or problems I'll let you know.

Thanks Derek!

One thing that still does not work is upgrading the firmware using regular Cybook upgrades, so it's still not 100% cybook

You are welcome. Yeah, it will be wonderful when OI becomes a reality for the Netronix/Bookeen/Astak devices. In the mean time, I'm waiting for my RMA number so I can send my EB-100 back to have its screen replaced. Just picking it up from the side table, turning it on and transferring my grip from the left hand to the right hand cracked the screen. It was horrifying to watch the ebook I'd chosen appear and then disappear as the screen fractured in my hand.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 AM   #18
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Just a quick update:

My converted STAReBOOK now works perfectly (apart from the fact that it will still not accept regular Bookeen firmware updates), I have had no bugs, no crashes, no lost bookmarks or anything after using it for two days now.
It still reads DRM mobipocket books (even the PID stayed the same).
The only change to the negative I have noticed is a slightly slower pageturn and a (possible, I can't really be sure) lower battery-life, but it is still very close to perfect.

Anyone stuck with a crippled STAReBOOK or a first-gen imperfect conversion to Cybook Gen3 should give this a try, it's a huge improvement!

Should anyone have problems and/or questions, just ask!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #19
madmandegge
Enthusiast
madmandegge began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
I may be being blind here, but I can't see any steps for installing this alternate firmware?
in advance!
madmandegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 AM   #20
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Well, they were on the opeininkpot website a while ago, but now were appartently takesn down.

I'll give you the tour if you like:

1.) Download the file Delphidb attached to his post
2.) Extract it to a folder somehwere.
You will find two subfolders, one containing the Cybook firmware, the other containing the Netronix firmware
3.) Copy all files from the Cybook firmware to the root of an empty SD card, put it in the STAReBOOK (or other OEM device) and start it.
With the STAReBOOK you don't have to do anything, with some of the other devices you have to hold doen the center key whily it boots.
4.) The flashing process should now start. Once it finishes successfully you will probably get a checkerboard screen and a non-responding device.

Don't worry, this is normal...

5.) Attach your STAReBOOK to your Computer as usual and you will see the internal memory and SD card just like normal even if you can't see anyting on the eink display apart from the checkerboard.

6.) Now you need to create a folder named "System" in the internal memory of the STAReBOOK and put a file into it that was originally up on Openinkpot but is now also gone. I'll put it up at the end of this post. After you have copied this files into the system folder in the internal memory of the STAReBOOK (I'll upload the whole Deal I got from OpenInkpot, there are some fonts included as well) you restart the device and should now have a fully working Cybook Gen3

Let me know whether it worked smoothly and if you run into problems let me know. You can always flash back to the STAReBOOK firmware or the Netronix one included in the file Delphidb provided, the bootloader works even if something else goes wrong.
Oh, and you will have to delete the fontcache file in the system folder to be able to use all the fonts. This seems to be a cybook issue.
Attached Files
File Type: rar StareUpdate.rar (4.39 MB, 1187 views)
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #21
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Thanks for that, as soon as I get/win/steal () a reader, I shall be trying this. Don't like the idea of STK files, so this might well be the first thing I try
Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #22
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

OK, but you might just get a Cybook directly then...^^
Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Well, they were on the opeininkpot website a while ago, but now were appartently takesn down.

I'll give you the tour if you like:

1.) Download the file Delphidb attached to his post
You will find two subfolders, one containing the Cybook firmware, the other containing the Netronix firmware
3.) Copy all files from the Cybook firmware to the root of an empty SD card, put it in the STAReBOOK (or other OEM device) and start it.
With the STAReBOOK you don't have to do anything, with some of the other devices you have to hold doen the center key whily it boots.
4.) The flashing process should now start. Once it finishes successfully you will probably get a checkerboard screen and a non-responding device.

Don't worry, this is normal...

5.) Attach your STAReBOOK to your Computer as usual and you will see the internal memory and SD card just like normal even if you can't see anyting on the eink display apart from the checkerboard.

6.) Now you need to create a folder named "System" in the internal memory of the STAReBOOK and put a file into it that was originally up on Openinkpot but is now also gone. I'll put it up at the end of this post. After you have copied this files into the system folder in the internal memory of the STAReBOOK (I'll upload the whole Deal I got from OpenInkpot, there are some fonts included as well) you restart the device and should now have a fully working Cybook Gen3

Let me know whether it worked smoothly and if you run into problems let me know. You can always flash back to the STAReBOOK firmware or the Netronix one included in the file Delphidb provided, the bootloader works even if something else goes wrong.
Oh, and you will have to delete the fontcache file in the system folder to be able to use all the fonts. This seems to be a cybook issue.
CommanderROR,

Thanks for posting such a clear and concise set of instructions! I know mine were spread all over the place.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #24
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Not having trouble with this (yet) but just trying to clarify the steps I need to take. Should hopefully help other people too.

In "update kernal.rar" I have - "Kernel 1.3版16M(已修改)" and "PVI AP 1.3" as folders, it's probably obvious but which file is which, Nextronix and Cybook?

6.) For these files, the "system" folder has a file, and another folder.
File is icudt36l.dat and the folder is "user" containing "config.dat"

I'm assuming I should just copy the file and the folder over? Wanted to just confirm this.

It seems straightforward, just wanted to clarify a few things!
Don't want to break my shiny new reader when it comes

Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #25
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Ok, i'll try to clarify...

The correct firmware is in the "Kernel 1.3版16M(已修改)" folder, the PVI folder contains the other firmware.
Copy all the files from the "Kernel 1.3版16M(已修改)" folder to the root of your SD card (empty if possible).

About your second question...yes, just copy everything over to internal memory of the STAReBOOK, but AFTER you have flashed and booted the STAReBOOK (you should have a device that is displaying a checkerboard pattern).

I hope that helps.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #26
madmandegge
Enthusiast

OK have started updating, I haven't actually got a checkerboard, but just a "Verify Update Data" screen, with a complete progress bar, with "Update Success" below this.

The device doesn't respond, which is normal, but nothing happens when I plug it in either? Any ideas?
Don't really fancy forcing it to turn off!

Regards,

Simon
Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #27
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Turned the device off, went back to Chinese, still has the STAReBOOK firmware on it.
When trying to run the update, now tells me the version is wrong, and it cannot update, so boots back into the Chinese set STAReBOOK firmware.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #28
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Ok, try this one on for size:
Attached Files
File Type: rar STAReBOOK.rar (5.62 MB, 1056 views)
Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #29
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Thanks for that, seems to be the right firmware now

Gen3 1.1.685

Just updating now, I had to hold the "tick" button while starting up, which is odd, but there we go
Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #30
madmandegge
Enthusiast

OK, now I get told the internal memory is not a formatted drive, and would I like to format it?

I can still see the files on the SD card, so it's connected, but seems to think the drive isn't formatted?

Grr