Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Adam Hall - Quiller spy novels - Questions

I'm familiar with the name, but have yet to read any of them.

I think there are about 18 novels in the series, and was thinking of buying a few from Amazon.

Does anyone have opinions on this series? Are they uniformly good? A drop-off in quality?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-01-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
I read them years ago, but my recollection is that the novels, with some variation, were all very good. I can't recall if I read all of the series, but Adam Hall remains an all-time favorite of mine -- highly recommended.
Gene
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Don, I have read the first two.

I liked the first, The Quiller Memorandum, very much.

But the second, The Ninth Directive, I can't recommend strongly enough. The writing was delicious. I deliberately read only a chapter a night to stretch the experience out.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The name rang a bell so I searched for them. Looking at the list of books and the covers, I remember reading some of them when I was in high school. And I enjoyed them a lot. From the publishing dates, I think I only read the earlier ones that didn't have "Quiller" in the title.

The search also told me that Adam Hall is a pseudonym for Elleston Trevor. That was a name I did know and associated with these books. I think I read "The Flight of the Phoenix" after seeing the original movie and then moved on to the Quiller series after finding out who the author was.

Not that I am reminded of the books, I remember they were good reads, but know nothing about the later ones. I think I will have to look for them. I have been rereading my Desmond Bagley collection lately. These should do nicely when I finish.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Based on the recommendations, I think I'll go ahead and buy the first two.

Has anyone read any of the later titles in the series?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert