Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
FE Review Manual

Has anyone here bought the ePub/PDF version of the FE Review Manual by Michael R. Lindeburg? How is it?

I already bought the paperback but it won't arrive until Tuesday and I do think an electronic copy on my iPad would be quite handy. I bought the Kindle version but it sucks. It only had an in-line TOC so jumping from topic to topic is pretty difficult. The Kindle for iPad app appears not to handle non-ISO-8859 characters very well, either. Italic v was used to signify v, nu and upsilon. Who knows how else the other special characters have been handled. Thank goodness Amazon allows returns or that would have been $80 down the drain (ironically, the paperback only cost $68).

I'm fine with paying $80 for the ebook but the only place I can buy it is the publishers' website and they don't allow returns. I'm really hoping someone here has already bought an ebook version and can comment on the quality.

Thank you!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Full disclosure - I went to school before things like this were even available, so that certainly clouds my views. I never studied with electronic books, so my methods don't work for it well. For others, it may be ok.

This type of reference is one that I can't imagine working well in an electronic format. If they made it into an app or did something that vastly improves the navigation, maybe, but for me reference books are really best in paper form.

I know I would not use my ME Reference Manual by Lindeberg if it was only in Kindle/epub format and looking at most of my other references I wouldn't use them either. It is too handy to be able to flip back/forth and use the index all at the same time to get things that are tangentially related. Search tends to be too specific in its results for this type of thing. What if they use a different word than you are searching for?

There are a couple exceptions (HVAC Rules of Thumb and some steam tables/data books) that would work ok, but not too many. The ones that do are not meant to even be read, they are meant to provide small tidbits of information or data at a time and be put away. The HVAC Rules of Thumb would be easy to use in Kindle or ePub (or searchable PDF) because you are generally looking for something specific, so you can just search for it. The data books would be ok this way, but better if converted to an app where you could plug in what you are looking for and have it calculate things for you.

By the way, are you straight out of school or in school still? or has it been a few years? I ask because most people I know don't really need this reference if they are straight out of school. The best study advice I can give is to study the supplied reference handbook and know it backwards/forwards since it is the only reference allowed in the exam, if you don't have it in hard copy, purchase one so you know the form factor and how it is layed out in print. The in-test advice would be to not spend too much time on any one question - if you don't know the answer immediately, skip it and come back later. Of the people I know who didn't pass, spending too much time on a single problem was what did most of them in. They just didn't have time to complete the exam.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
A book like this, I wouldn't recommend the electronic version. I know you've already got the paperback coming and I wouldn't spend extra on the ebook.

When I went through the test, I used the living daylights out of that book, marking pages, writing all over it, making notes, highlighting,etc. Stuff that isn't really ebook friendly even though you can do some of it.

My personal preference is not to have any "reference" books as ebooks because I find it to hard to flip back and forth or jump to a specific area.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote