Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
E-book store price comparison / BooksOnBoard a good deal

While the world continues to wonder why most e-books still sell at Hardcover prices, the good folks over at Dear Author spent some time comparing the prices of various online e-book stores. Some of the interesting observations they made:

Link: Price Comparison: Which E book Retailer Has the Best Prices

Related: Downloaded books cost how much?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Interestingly enough, Simon & Shuster's prices seem to be less than econnect, although not in Sony format.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
lee1234
Enthusiast
lee1234 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader, Nokia E61
Does anyone know which ebook store website has the most books and the widest selection of books?
lee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In this table, Fictionwise and MobiPocket are always the most expensive (i.e. always charge the list price). However, Fictionwise has various ways to save if you buy lots of books from them.

I still think MobiPocket is the single best DRMed format (i.e. if you don't want to break the DRM then go with MobiPocket), but it does also seem to be the most expensive of the widely used formats. On the other hand the bestsellers page on Books on Board has two titles with big discounts for the MobiPocket format only.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A book I was looking at on ebooks.com is about $2 less at Books on Board. So I'll be purchasing it at BoB later this week.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I separated Fictionwise from the Buywise Club prices because you have to pay to be a member of buywise and get the additional discount.

Some of the commenters found that if you buy Micropay in large amounts ($200) you get a little better pricing from Fictionwise.

I noticed at Books on Board, that the Mobipocket prices were slightly higher - like 10 cents or more.

One other thing is that I don't understand why more publishers aren't following the Simon &Schuster model by greatly discounting the prices and driving traffic directly to their site.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do buy my Start Trek ebooks from Simon and Schuster. Nobody else is as cheap.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A book I was looking at on ebooks.com is about $2 less at Books on Board. So I'll be purchasing it at BoB later this week.
Ditto. I was going to buy a book through eBooks.com only to discover it $1-2 cheaper @ BOB.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Don't forget http://paperbackdigital.com/

You will find the best prices on Mobipocket content here (I love BooksOnBoard as well though).
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Hmmm... Except for Fictionwise, none of these sites SELL eBooks. All they sell are restrictive licenses allowing you to read an eBook - usually for the same price (if not more) than the paper version of the book.

Not a very good deal.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Hmmm... Except for Fictionwise, none of these sites SELL eBooks. All they sell are restrictive licenses allowing you to read an eBook - usually for the same price (if not more) than the paper version of the book.
By your argument, book shops don't SELL paper books either - they just grant you a restrictive licence to read them. You're certainly not buying any rights to the "contents" of the book; you can't re-publish it yourself, or anything like that.

My word - how terribly restrictive. Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
By your argument, book shops don't SELL paper books either - they just grant you a restrictive licence to read them.
That's untrue.

Legally speaking, I own the pBook and can dispose of it as I wish. The only restriction on me is that I cannot REPRODUCE the pBook.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
That's untrue.

Legally speaking, I own the pBook and can dispose of it as I wish. The only restriction on me is that I cannot REPRODUCE the pBook.
You own the physical book - the paper, the glue, the ink, etc. You do not own the "intellectual property" that the book contains.

Exactly the same is true of an eBook. You own the file that you download. You do not own the intellectual property that the file contains.

It's no different at all.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:35 AM   #14
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You own the physical book - the paper, the glue, the ink, etc. You do not own the "intellectual property" that the book contains.

Exactly the same is true of an eBook. You own the file that you download. You do not own the intellectual property that the file contains.

It's no different at all.
Then please show me where I can re-sell my used DRMed eBooks.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's up to the publisher to determine if they wish to provide a mechanism to transfer the licence to somebody else or not. Doesn't affect the principle that with both paper books and eBooks you're just "buying" the medium, not the contents.