Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Converting from Epub to Mobi

Hi all, after my daughter DROPPING my Sony 505 ive ben forced to buy a K3

I have imported all my books into Calibre and am converting them to Mobie.

I have the following questions that im not really sure about,

1. Is there a way to delete duplicate files without scrolling through the collection

2. when i import books can i delete them from the source drive or are theyjust linked in Calibre? not sure if it makes a copy or not?

3. Is there a quick way to convert 3000 books

4. will the formating lok as good as the epub or LRF source file

Thanks in advance

Kev
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofengland View Post
1. Is there a way to delete duplicate files without scrolling through the collection
Define "duplicate files." Do you want to remove duplicate book records with the same formats in them? Duplicate book records with different formats in them? Different formats of the same book within a single record?

Quote:
2. when i import books can i delete them from the source drive or are theyjust linked in Calibre? not sure if it makes a copy or not?
You can delete them, although most people do not. Calibre makes a copy and doesn't link to the original.

Quote:
3. Is there a quick way to convert 3000 books
Yes, highlight all and select Convert. (It may take a while, but it's "quick" for you.)

Quote:
4. will the formating lok as good as the epub or LRF source file
No one knows. Perhaps better, perhaps worse. You can adjust settings to change things.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Great thanks for that. When i said duplicate files i mean i want to delete the the LRF and Epub versions and only want the new Mobie format.

Thanks

kev

also when i view a TXT file on th eK£ is it just 1 chunk of text or is there formating?
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

if you want to delete only special formats, you can use:

(right click on selected book(s))
Remove books --> Remove files of a specific format from selected books...

then you can choose the format you want to remove.

Or, you can use:

(right click on selected book(s))
Remove book --> Remove all formats from selected books, except...

then you can choose the format you want to hold.

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofengland View Post
also when i view a TXT file on th eK£ is it just 1 chunk of text or is there formating?
Bratzzo answered your first question. As to text formatting - you can control that with the conversion options under Look & Feel and/or Text Input/Output.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
In my experience it is best not to delete the original files after conversion.
Once upon a time I was doing that and then when I became more familiar with calibre I wanted to reformat some (a lot)of the books or remove headers.

While you can convert mobi to mobi it is often better to start with the original.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote