Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #76
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Sorry about this, but evil poltergeists are making me type these corrections (which are not intended to function as a giant wagging finger):
Everyone should own a copy of the Merriam-Webster Concise Dictionary of English Usage.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #77
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wrong. For his need it is perfect. Others have other needs. Your assumptions are wrong. People have vastly different requirements for technology. Yours is one opinion. That is all.
Amazing. You agree that it is my opinion, yet you say it is wrong. My opinion cannot be right or wrong, it is just my opinion. This is a discussion group, everyone who posts has an opinion. If others agree or disagree makes little difference, they are still opinions, valid to the person expressing them. I would be astounded if everyone agreed with me, I have never expected that, in fact I would be very worried if that happened. I am at all times quite prepared to explain or amplify as to why I hold a particular opinion, but I am certainly not about to change it. Not unless someone introduces some previously unknown (to me) fact into the discussion.

I have not once said that it was wrong for anyone to have or use a pad, I just point out that is is unrealistic to expect them to replace computers. I argue against what is supposedly a trend, not against personal preference.

I ride a mountain bike and enjoy doing so. Some people ride "Fixies", a rigid framed basic bike with no gears. I don't like them, they are impractical, but I do not disparage those who enthusiastically embrace them. If someone suggested that they would be better than a mountain bike on mountain trails I would disagree and give my reasons. No different here.

Now, as you are so keen to tell me that I am wrong about pretty well anything I post - fill your boots. Your opinion is hardly going to affect me - is it?

Pads will probably evolve into real computers, possibly with Laser keyboards and the ability to add peripheral devices. Until then, for real work or games - they remain a compromise. My opinion - the fact that you disagree doesn't concern me.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #78
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Monkey wants a chromebox to replace his desktop, but they're too spendy.
Meh, Wozniak says you don't own anything in the cloud.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #80
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Why do I have the feeling you see only trees, never forest?
Lot'sa wood?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Meh, Wozniak says you don't own anything in the cloud.
I haz hard drive 4 stuffs I keeps

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #82
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lot'sa wood?
Oooo... tress, forests, wood. Reminds me of camping; and for that, you'll need a long stiff piece of wood to pitch a tent.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #83
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Oooo... tress, forests, wood. Reminds me of camping; and for that, you'll need a long stiff piece of wood to pitch a tent.
and a light for your e-reader
Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #84
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
and a light for your e-reader
That would be the lantern that most sane campers bring with them to actually see around their camp site at night...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #85
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
This isn't a zero sum game. Just because more people start using tablets that doesn't mean that fewer people will be using e-ink readers. Both tablet and e-ink readership will continue to increase over the coming years.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #86
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
For many people, myself included, tablets HAVE replaced laptops. My Asus Transformer is designed to work with its dock as a netbook type device (hence the transformer portion of its name). This is not a BT keyboard, but a keyboard that docks directly with the tablet, there is no "homebrew" about it. That's one of the big selling points, that it has an integratted keyboard dock designed specifically for it. Even with the dock it is smaller and more powerful than most netbooks. The business software is also arguably becoming more powerful and functional for android tablets.

The whole point of the article, and my point as well, is that more and more often people are seeing greater value in tablets for everyday use. Tablets are quickly taking the place of dedicated devices such as ereaders. This is easy enough to see, just look at the number of people on this forum who have switched from eink devices to tablets.

In specialized fields or with people who work in high tech industry an android tablet or ipad will not be the tool of choice, but that is true of every industry. I would NEVER consider using an otoscope or BP cuff from a drug store, but that does not mean that the average consumer would think twice about it. The average consumer is the person who dictates general market trends. If most consumers decide that tablets are a better value than eink devices then the market share for eink devices will shrink, in spite of their vastly superior ability to be used in prolonged reading. Devices with better market image will beat out other devices every time, even if the other devices are superior. Anyone who believes that eink devices will disappear any time soon is short sighted (hell, they made walkman tape players until the early 2000s), but on the flip side, anyone who believes that tablets are NOT gobbling up the market share previously dominated by eink devices is just blind.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 08-18-2012 at 01:19 PM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #87
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
This isn't a zero sum game. Just because more people start using tablets that doesn't mean that fewer people will be using e-ink readers. Both tablet and e-ink readership will continue to increase over the coming years.
Bingo, I use both and all (e-ink kindle, sony, tablet-Xoom, Fire, Galaxy SIII, laptop) and desktop. and yes, daily.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #88
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Just as there may be more people watching TV than reading books ("e" or otherwise),
the rapid adoption of tablets does not foretell the demise of e-readers. I question the
premise that people who acquire tablets have given up on their e-readers, ereading, or
reading in general.

As one who once read comics and paperbacks, under a blanket with a flashlight, when
I was supposed to be sleeping. Devoured SF Anthologies from the library. Eventually
purchased enough books for my own little library. Discovered "e-books" and have and
still do read some on all the devices I have listed. I continue to read the vast majority
of time using my dedicated E-reader (ECTACO jetBook Lite). I don't think I have actually
ever finished reading a whole ebook on my EEE Pad Transformer, I much prefer my JBL.

The point being that our reading may go through many changes and be facilitated by all
kinds of new devices but no real reader will be giving up the process that works best for
them, even if they do tryout the shiny new thing for awhile.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Leonard as in Leonard Valve Company of Cranston, RI?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #90
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Just as there may be more people watching TV than reading books ("e" or otherwise),
the rapid adoption of tablets does not foretell the demise of e-readers. I question the
premise that people who acquire tablets have given up on their e-readers, ereading, or
reading in general.

As one who once read comics and paperbacks, under a blanket with a flashlight, when
I was supposed to be sleeping. Devoured SF Anthologies from the library. Eventually
purchased enough books for my own little library. Discovered "e-books" and have and
still do read some on all the devices I have listed. I continue to read the vast majority
of time using my dedicated E-reader (ECTACO jetBook Lite). I don't think I have actually
ever finished reading a whole ebook on my EEE Pad Transformer, I much prefer my JBL.

The point being that our reading may go through many changes and be facilitated by all
kinds of new devices but no real reader will be giving up the process that works best for
them, even if they do tryout the shiny new thing for awhile.

Luck;
Ken
I agree. One point for the original article although it was not mentioned IIRC is that many of those who buy a tablet first will never buy an ereader.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote