Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
I like this quote on the matter:
"And, since the IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters, it was never very clear to anyone what had happened."
Maskerade by Terry Pratchett.

Like I said over in the news section, I'm glad I haven't bought a book by any of them and would be happy to never hear of one of them again.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You should also see the Facebook page. Look on the right side at recent posts then click See All.
OMG it's like a flood of stupid.

There are a bunch of lending sites like this, all perfectly legal. Apparently the authors didn't understand the contract they signed with Amazon to allow lending any better, either.

I take it as a given that none of them actually tried to borrow a book to, I dunno, see how it worked.

Dale, I hope you're able to find a new web host that won't bow down to this kind of crap.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
As others have said, MobileRead isn't the best place for your post because, with some exceptions, the people here are pretty quick to pick up on copyright related issues. ...snip...
Indeed.

Whilst I never used the site, this is the first I'd heard of it, it's a sad day when an angry and ignorant mob scream loud enough to cause it to be closed.

If you don't want your books to be lent (even if it's just a single time), then their beef should be with amazon and the contracts they agreed to that allow amazon to do a loan. The site is about as far removed from piracy as you could ever get.

Hope he decides to keep it running and doesn't bow to the pressure of an ignorant mob. Sadly it's understandable if he does, having to deal with lots of complaints daily for a volunteer site is not something I'd relish either.

Last edited by JoeD; 08-08-2012 at 03:49 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I wonder how those authors would like it if a large group of people began mass-complaining to their publishers that their actual books violated some kind of copyright law and demanded they all be taken down or lawsuits would begin flying left and right?
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
You should also see the Facebook page. Look on the right side at recent posts then click See All.
My God, it's full of stars morons!

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 08-08-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Do these authors behave this way with actual pirate sites?

If they did, they could clear out all piracy within a week.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Do these authors behave this way with actual pirate sites?

If they did, they could clear out all piracy within a week.
they're probably looking for people they can easily push around. what idiots.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
rigorist
rigorist began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
My God, it's fully of stars morons!
Moron stars!
rigorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
If you don't want your books to be lent (even if it's just a single time), then their beef should be with amazon and the contracts they agreed to that allow amazon to do a loan. The site is about as far removed from piracy as you could ever get.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Is piracy simply the unauthorized copying/lending/accessing of a text? Or shall we think of piracy in more ethical/moral terms. Meaning, does every read require some form of compensation to flow from the reader to the writer? If the latter is the case, then these lending sites are definitely facilitating piracy at the very least.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Is piracy simply the unauthorized copying/lending/accessing of a text? Or shall we think of piracy in more ethical/moral terms. Meaning, does every read require some form of compensation to flow from the reader to the writer? If the latter is the case, then these lending sites are definitely facilitating piracy at the very least.
Lending is legal and this morons allowed their eBooks to be lent. So no, it's not piracy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
Dale, I hope you get things straightened out and back online (if you choose to go back online, that is). I'd not heard of your site, but then I haven't looked much into the lending feature of my Kindle and Nook books.

Quote:
Some of the authors posting on Facebook... Just, wow. So busy spouting off, they can't be bothered to actually look into what the site was about. The responses to the most recent status update, well again, just WOW.

I wish the ebook sellers would offer an... anti-wish list, so that I could block certain authors from ever showing up in my search results. Just sayin'...
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #27
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceschick View Post
Some of the authors posting on Facebook... Just, wow. So busy spouting off, they can't be bothered to actually look into what the site was about. The responses to the most recent status update, well again, just WOW.
I wish the ebook sellers would offer an... anti-wish list, so that I could block certain authors from ever showing up in my search results. Just sayin'...
A part of me wants to go on there and make a list of all these authors so I never buy one of their books but a bigger part of me knows that reading what they have to say will just aggravate me so I'm avoiding clicking on the link lol.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceschick View Post
Dale, I hope you get things straightened out and back online (if you choose to go back online, that is). I'd not heard of your site, but then I haven't looked much into the lending feature of my Kindle and Nook books.

I ditto this! Plus we need more lending sites. Lendle is slower than molasses. I too hope you come back. I can understand if you don't want to but I do hope you reconsider now that your host has offer to put the site back up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #29
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Lending is legal and this morons allowed their eBooks to be lent. So no, it's not piracy.
OK, so if your country decides tomorrow that the copyright on books is unconstitutional, you would be fine with lending out your entire library to everyone??
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
OK, so if your country decides tomorrow that the copyright on books is unconstitutional, you would be fine with lending out your entire library to everyone??
I think you miss the point. If you publish a book at Amazon or B&N, most times you (the author) are allowing Amazon or B&N to LEND the book once at the purchaser's request. This is in the CONTRACT that you enter with Amazon or B&N.

LendInk did not loan you the book, when you went and asked for a book to be loaned to you, it redirected you to Amazon. Amazon then LOANED you the book as is their right under the CONTRACT YOU (the author) AGREED TO.

If you still don't understand, try this:

I own a car, you and I sign a lease, whereby you get the total use of the car, (including the right to carry riders or loan the car out) for 3 years in exchange of monthly payments to me. You then let your wife or friend ride or drive the car.

What these idiots did is akin of me raising hell because you let someone else ride or drive the car, something that you and agreed beforehand by contract.

Is that clearer in any way?

ART

Last edited by artbatista; 08-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote