Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
pdani
pdani began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3.2.1
Non-English Kindle?

what's the scoop on this? I would like to read a diferent language on my kindle - is it possible?
pdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Yes, depending on the language.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
What's the problem? The language only affects the interface, you can easily read English, German, French, Spanish ... books on your Kindle already. Not sure about more exotic charsets, or RTL support etc., though. What language(s) did you have in mind?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why don't you just try it and see? There are books in pretty much every language you can name available at PG.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
While my main collection is English, I also have collection of books in Swedish, Danish, German and Japanese, and there is no problem with any of these. The only limitation I've encountered is the lack of dictionary support if you would need it.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Kyste
Kyste doesn't litterKyste doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLié TJ25/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The only limitation I've encountered is the lack of dictionary support if you would need it.
Well, that and the text-to-speech function. I've tried to have it read aloud french e-books and the results are hilarious. Think Officer Crabtree in 'allo 'allo hilarious.
Kyste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
pdani

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why don't you just try it and see? There are books in pretty much every language you can name available at PG.
I did try - I downloaded some books in Hebrew and they came up as unreadable garbage. is there an issue with the format e.g. epub, mobi etc.? perhaps some formats work and others don't. I needed to convert them in calibre from epub to mobi so maybe the problem is with the conversion - do I need to set up some special options etc.?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #8
pdani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
While my main collection is English, I also have collection of books in Swedish, Danish, German and Japanese, and there is no problem with any of these. The only limitation I've encountered is the lack of dictionary support if you would need it.
thanks for your reply - please see my note to Harry below - I have a problem with Hebrew.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #9
gASK
gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 3
Since as far as I know, Kindle has no trouble with even most exotic characters as it is Unicode based, so I would think hebrew would be supported as well. The trouble most probably lies in the encoding used (and most probably it is caused by the conversion). I had pretty much the same problem with encoding of some Czech books I downloaded - some came out right directly after epub -> mobi conversion while most needed some tweaking of the conversion settings in Calibre.

Since I have no knowledge of possible hebrew encodings, I could not help you should direct your attention in that direction.
gASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The problem is not the encoding (if the book is in UTF-8), but the available fonts. I don't think there is a Hebrew font available on Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdani View Post
thanks for your reply - please see my note to Harry below - I have a problem with Hebrew.
I noticed that. Have you looked for any Hebrew based Kindle community. You'd be surprised what is out there?

Obviously it must come with Japanese fonts since I can read it on mine. Seems a tad niggard not to invlude hebrew, don't take up nearly the space that Kanji does.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
There is a known problem with Hebrew and most e-readers, although I don't know the details or possible workarounds. I think the devices are not set up to allow you to read right-to-left.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdani View Post
I did try - I downloaded some books in Hebrew and they came up as unreadable garbage. is there an issue with the format e.g. epub, mobi etc.? perhaps some formats work and others don't. I needed to convert them in calibre from epub to mobi so maybe the problem is with the conversion - do I need to set up some special options etc.?
That explains it. The Mobipocket format, which the Kindle uses, does not support right-to-left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew. You should look at ePub devices if you need to read RTL.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, language