Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #76
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
amazon's software development teams are a joke...they're not a software company and it's painfully clear how amateur they are in this space.
Won't say that. Maybe those guys have given other priorities. If your boss tells you to write a new kindle app for android i doubt you are going to update the KDXG firmware instead.

Quote:
i'm just as annoyed as you guys but instead of wasting my time complaining on here (which will achieve nothing) we need to write a letter to their cocky little CEO. he was recently preaching on tv how his company is 100% customer focussed.
Godd idea. Online petition comes to my mind...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #77
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Won't say that. Maybe those guys have given other priorities. If your boss tells you to write a new kindle app for android i doubt you are going to update the KDXG firmware instead.
putting aside the updates, the current kindle OS is a shambles. they don't even allow simple stuff like sub-collections so you can organise your content properly.

also the lack of a proper sync with your pc and kindle is inexcusable...how do amazon expect people to back up or keep track of their books properly?

as it stands the device needs to interface with unofficial apps like Calibre in a hack-ridden fashion. i had to jailbreak it to di simple stuff like extend the screensaver timeout....how much effort would it take for them to include that?

they need to stop selling new hardware iterations and sort the software issues asap.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #78
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
amazon's software development teams are a joke...they're not a software company and it's painfully clear how amateur they are in this space.

i'm using Duokan for my pdf work now....it's actually far more efficient and competently implemented than Kindle OS. the render times are over twice as quick than the shoddy Amazon firmware.

i'm just as annoyed as you guys but instead of wasting my time complaining on here (which will achieve nothing) we need to write a letter to their cocky little CEO. he was recently preaching on tv how his company is 100% customer focussed.
Unfortunately, duokan is buggy when it comes to European charset support. Lots of missing letters. The devs are Chinese, so you can hardly blame them. Switching between duokan and kindle requires a reboot, so it's a bit of a pain.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #79
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Did it not occur to anyone to read the manual before buying, to make sure the device has the features you seek? If it hasn't, look elsewhere, and don't moan when something else comes out later with the newer features. You have to by devices for what they can do now, not what you want them to do.

I might just be feeding the trolls with this comment though ....
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #80
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Did it not occur to anyone to read the manual before buying, to make sure the device has the features you seek? If it hasn't, look elsewhere, and don't moan when something else comes out later with the newer features. You have to by devices for what they can do now, not what you want them to do.

the year is 2011 not 1988, today there's a level of expectation when you buy an expensive electronic device that it'll receive decent software support and updates.

what exactly are you arguing for....shoddy customer service?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #81
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know that I was expecting that the DXG, which was released shortly before the K3 was announced, would receive a firmware upgrade that would give it the same firmware as the K3. They were releasing a new version of the DX just before they knew that they were announcing a new version of the K3. I don't think it was much of a reach to assume that the DXG had the necessary firmware to be updated to match the K3.

The fact that that has not happened is very disappointing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #82
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I know that I was expecting that the DXG, which was released shortly before the K3 was announced, would receive a firmware upgrade that would give it the same firmware as the K3. They were releasing a new version of the DX just before they knew that they were announcing a new version of the K3. I don't think it was much of a reach to assume that the DXG had the necessary firmware to be updated to match the K3.

The fact that that has not happened is very disappointing.
Quote:

Godd idea. Online petition comes to my mind...
perhaps the software team was working on getting kindle apps for the other OSes(android, blackberry, windows 7 phone)

maybe now they can concentrate on K DX ... i want my updates!
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #83
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
the year is 2011 not 1988, today there's a level of expectation when you buy an expensive electronic device that it'll receive decent software support and updates.

what exactly are you arguing for....shoddy customer service?
In 1988 we didn't have the internet to easily research the capabilities of a device before we bought it. In 2011 we do - so regardless of any reasonable assumptions that may have been made about the KDXG's capabilities, so close to the K3's launch, I stand by my assertion that one needs to buy a device for its existing features.

If you receive it and it doesn't do what you want, use the 30 day return period that is part of the customer service offering. If it breaks, use the warranty. Amazon doesn't owe anyone any more than that once a device is 'sold as seen'.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #84
suecsi
Rock Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm glad I sold my DXG way back in September. I had a feeling the "support for PDF to match that of the K3" was BS, and so it was, apparently. So much gets picked up as fact when it can be traced to a wishful thinking clod who dreams about improvements, mentions this in a thread someplace, and then people start to quote and misquote the dream as though it was a promise from Amazon, or God, or some equally unlikely source. Obviously had Amazon ever promised such a thing it would have been done by now. Someone, sometime, someplace took something out of context and this whole myth then took on a life of its own.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #85
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I think it's more a matter of feeling pushed aside with the DX in combination with the lack of support/firmware. Buying and item for what it can do at the time is wise, however just about everything gets and update at some point in reality. Computers, smart phones, games etc. are bought for what they can currently do (just as the DX) but they are offered support after the initial buy as well updates to improve performance. The kindle 3 has received updates as well to improve performance, however the DX simply has not. I am not one to complain, and I am fine with my DX's current functions however at almost triple the cost of the kindle 3 I strongly feel that Amazon should offer updates to the DX as well.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #86
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
There's an analogous situation with the iPad. It took a while for apple to update the iPad to iOS 4 to give it comparable functions with the iPhone 4, which came out later, is cheaper, and sells many more units. However, it was fully expected they would do it, and they promised it, and delivered, even if they missed their ETA a couple of times. I'm an iPad owner and I'd have been pretty unhappy if they had not, and would think twice about getting an iPad 2.

Software updates and substantial improvements are the expected norms now, at least until the next hardware iteration arrives, after which people still expect fixes for major bugs or security flaws.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #87
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post

Yes, I was fully aware of the deficiencies in the DX when I bought it. And it's not a deal-breaker for me. BUT, I do think Amazon is foolish for not having the K3's capabilities of PDF manipulation on a device that is 1) more expensive 2) more suitable for PDF viewing due to its larger size.

I would love to "look elsewhere" but there just isn't another larger-screen e-ink device extant at this point...
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #88
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Yes, I was fully aware of the deficiencies in the DX when I bought it. And it's not a deal-breaker for me. BUT, I do think Amazon is foolish for not having the K3's capabilities of PDF manipulation on a device that is 1) more expensive 2) more suitable for PDF viewing due to its larger size.

I would love to "look elsewhere" but there just isn't another larger-screen e-ink device extant at this point...
There's this one;
http://www.ebookanoid.com/2010/12/22...eps/#more-3664
Dwarfs the DX.

More for studying or work than bedtime reading I'd think
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #89
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
There's this one;
http://www.ebookanoid.com/2010/12/22...eps/#more-3664
Dwarfs the DX.

More for studying or work than bedtime reading I'd think
You can´t compare this reader with kindle. It´s a totally different device.
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #90
RedDogInCan
RedDogInCan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Good idea. Online petition comes to my mind...
Why not just use Amazon's Customer Review feature to express our disappointment at Amazon's lack of updates for the DX. All it would take is 1,000 1-star ratings to send a strong message.
RedDogInCan is offline   Reply With Quote