Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
PRS 505 prices.

I know this is a little early in its life for a thread like this but...

I've seen the 505 on the Data Vision website at $279.99. As well as the covers and charger being $5 cheaper as well.

As I'll be in NY next week I'm very tempted to nip in and check it out.

Anyone else seen anything like this?
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
It will still cost over $300 with tax. Not such a deal imo.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

The US tax thing... Always rears it's ugly head.

But then if I bought it in NY from Sony I'd still be paying 299 + tax anyway.

(you DO NOT want to know the tax I'd pay bringing it to Bermuda!)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
I bought it on the Sony web site for $300 with a credit for $100. So with tax it cost $215 and I can buy $100s worth of books.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
M0zza
Geek... Apparently

I'm sorry Linda you've lost me a little there...

When you bought it you got a 100 dollar credit? or you had 100 dollar credit already?

Only seen the 'get 100 free PD books' offer on the sony website.

Last edited by M0zza; 11-02-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
I'm sorry Linda you've lost me a little there...

When you bought it you got a 100 dollar credit? or you had 100 dollar credit already?

Only seen the 'get 100 free PD books' offer on the sony website.

Linda probably applied for the sony credit card, which is offereing $100 credit back.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 AM   #7
Alexis Martin
Alexis Martin began at the beginning.

Device: nokia6600
the best deal is if you buy it before 4th November. As the abtelectronics is selling it with 5% discount and free shipping the net cost you will have to pay will be nearly $275 .
Alexis Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
M0zza
Geek... Apparently

I'm sure the Credit Card will only be available in the US.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
fkasten
fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook
buy.com price

Buy.com may have the best price currently for the new 505, both silver and blue, if you can wait for them to get restocked. Their regular price is $277.99 with free shipping and no sales tax. There's a 5% discount coupon available (http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074) that brings the total down to $264.09. I've done business with them a number of times and they're legit but I have no idea how soon you'd get one if you ordered now.

I'm new to the Forum although I've been reading it for several weeks as I wait for my new 505 on 11/7 - my birthday (I'll be 61). Birthdays are still exciting!

Frank
fkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Happy early birthday Frank. I too have used buy.com and they are as honest as any Internet vendor and almost as good as NewEgg.com (my fav Internet vendor for computer stuff.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Buy.com has been around for a long time. Never had a problem with them. Sounds like a good deal for the 505. I'm considering buying one (for the gf), but lack of hacks and a clock display is holding me back.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdanzie View Post
Linda probably applied for the sony credit card, which is offereing $100 credit back.
I think Linda refers to so-called "classics collection" the Connect store offers.
When you buy Reader they give you "credit" for "purchasing" 50 books from the "classics collection", two bucks a pop. Those are the same books you can download legally for free from Project Gutenberg and similar sites. The books you can download here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline

There *is* a difference between the "classics collection" at the Sony Connect site and the collection at mobileread site
Here we have twice as many books (Sony only offers a little over one thousand books in the classics category http://ebooks.connect.com/mb_us/SubC...?genreid=20002 )
aaaaand .... here at Mobileread we have much better prices. Can't beat 'em.

Look at the connect site:
http://ebooks.connect.com/mb_us//Sub...y=title&page=4
You can buy FOUR versions of the same book "The Awakening and Other Stories" by Kate Chopin for three different prices ;-))))
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
M0zza
Geek... Apparently

Unfortunately Buy.com is also US only.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I think Linda refers to so-called "classics collection" the Connect store offers.
When you buy Reader they give you "credit" for "purchasing" 50 books from the "classics collection", two bucks a pop. Those are the same books you can download legally for free from Project Gutenberg and similar sites. The books you can download here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline
Actually if you buy the Reader PRS-505 from Sonystyle, they will give you "credit" for 100 books from the "Classic collection". Also, if you sign up and get approved for a Sony reward credit card, they will give you $100 credit back.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
You even sure Buy.com has it? I see the 500 for $279.99 but no 505, and its usually listed even if out of stock. Whats the product ID?
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote