Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #31
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
1) Love books running out of places to put them
3) Dang store never has what I want
5) Need an older novel, store never has the book
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #32
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
1. Bookcases no longer threaten to take over my home
2. Less back problems from packing huge number of books for long trips
3. 100s of free and low cost ebooks to check out
4. Awesome independent authors
5. Gets rid of "gatekeepers" to publishing
6. Able to get books I can't find locally
7. Can read at night without waking wife (Android tablet)
8. Books always with me (iPhone)
9. Excuse to hang out on MobileRead forums!
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Because I like reading!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
Instant gratification!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Lighter handbag
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'll add a few:

- no more hunting for a bookmark
- no flapping pages in the wind while I wait for the bus
- no more paper cuts
- no one knows I'm reading Twilight
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Large print books are expensive and/or hard to find.

I can a few thousand books in my bag without injuring my back.

I can write in the "margins" and highlight passages without any guilt over "destroying" a book.

I can switch back and forth between books and not lose my place.

I can quickly/easily look up the meanings to words that are new-to-me or that appear in an unusual context.

After the initial investment is made, ebooks are the most economical option for public domain books. That includes library books given all of the late fees and lost book fines that I've paid over the years. And that reminds me...

No late fees on library books. I always joke that the fees are just my way of making a donation to the library... looks like I should probably be doing it a bit more directly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
1. It's easy.
2. It can be cheaper.
3. Able to carry several titles with me without throwing out my back with a heavy bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Because eating them hasn't quite played out the way I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Lots of reasons:

1. Can carry around 1,000 books without breaking my back.
2. Can buy a book and be reading it in 60 seconds.

3. Search feature.
4. Built in dictionary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
The fact that my books are always with me. I whip my K out at the drop of a hat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
For me personally I would add

6). Free books that lead me to authors I might never have tried.
7). Adjustable font size -- this is HUGE for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
Being able to get a whole series at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
Two reasons: Space and dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
it seems like i both read more and read more quickly since i got my kindle. i still love hardcopies but sometimes they seem like a chore to read. now i absolutely devour books and all i want to do is read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
1. Bookcases no longer threaten to take over my home
2. Less back problems from packing huge number of books for long trips
3. 100s of free and low cost ebooks to check out
4. Awesome independent authors
5. Gets rid of "gatekeepers" to publishing
6. Able to get books I can't find locally
7. Can read at night without waking wife (Android tablet) husband
8. Books always with me (iPhone)
9. Excuse to hang out on MobileRead forums!
Bold = Very important me.
Not emphasized = True, but not as important to me.
Strike = not applicable or not important to me.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #34
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
1. We don't have a local bookstore. Before my Kindle, I bought like 4 books at a time from Amazon so I could get super saver shipping. Probably the BIGGEST push.
2. No more holding open books with my poor little thumb.
3. Always know where my book is!

One thing I am happy about that was NOT a reason for me to buy an eReader is that I don't destroy book covers in my purse anymore.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #35
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
It's a lot easier to balance a cat and a Nook on my lap than it is a cat and a book, and this is especially true now that I have three lap cats instead of one.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
It's a lot easier to balance a cat and a Nook on my lap than it is a cat and a book, and this is especially true now that I have three lap cats instead of one.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that one.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #37
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
Quote:
Cats and Touch Screen e-readers DO NOT MIX... ask me how I know...
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #38
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
It's a storage issue for me. I share an apartment with two others and space is limited. But there are books I simply must have with me wherever I go, and my NC makes that possible.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #39
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieGator View Post
Cats and Touch Screen e-readers DO NOT MIX... ask me how I know...
I don't have a problem with the cats and the Touch Screen . . . what messes me up is dozing off with the Nook in my hand. I don't drop the Nook, but my thumb tends to rest on the screen, so I turn page after page after page . . . and most of the time, I can't remember what page I was on!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #40
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A.)
B.)
C.)
D.)
E.) X

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
A.)
B.)
C.)
D.)
E.) X

Stitchawl
I'll take: "What is 'All of the Above' for $1000.00, Alex?"
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #42
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
I don't have a problem with the cats and the Touch Screen . . . what messes me up is dozing off with the Nook in my hand. I don't drop the Nook, but my thumb tends to rest on the screen, so I turn page after page after page . . . and most of the time, I can't remember what page I was on!

i don't just doze off with ereader in hand, i pass the bleep out. with my glasses still on and everything. probably because its far easier to get comfortable in positions that promote sleep with a 1 handed device than holding a paperback open.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #43
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
accessibility of the physical form
storage space
easy to carry around and reading on the bed
better and more comfort choice, compare to reading on the computer screen
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote