Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Could there be a possibility to let the user decide to either preserve the original TOC or not? For example, the ability to retain the original TOC if all I do is insert a new cover image or edit the meta data.
Like I've said, it can't be preserved for technical reasons. Currently, at least. You see, the navPoints in the NCX file can point to any element in the OPS documents: a paragraph element (<p>), a <div> element, a <span>... anything.

But the Sigil TOC editor can only handle heading elements. That was on purpose: every editor I know uses headings to build a TOC: from Word to Writer, even LaTeX by default. It makes the TOC editor simple, and a lot of work (basically a complete redesign) would have to be done to make it possible to have any element a TOC reference in the TOC editor. And the new one would be much more complicated.

And for what? Everyone other editor still uses headings to build a TOC.

So if your original TOC already uses headings, the new one will be the same. If it doesn't, well then the new one will be different, but it will follow industry standards.

Again, I doubt you can make a simple and intuitive TOC editor and preserve the full expressiveness of the NCX. Sigil will use the current approach until I figure out a better way, if one exists.

I'm always open for suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Same here. I forgot what version of Sigil it was, but after one version, the program started running really slow. I heard that things will improve in 0.2.0, which should be out in a couple of weeks.
That would be 0.1.6 when I upgraded Sigil to use the new Qt. Nokia said they would improve WebKit performance in Qt 4.6.0, but instead they introduced a regression that made page rendering substantially slower. They're still trying to pull their heads out of their asses to fix that.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Am I correct in thinking, that every time I add a "Header", Sigil scans the entire file and re-builds the TOC?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Am I correct in thinking, that every time I add a "Header", Sigil scans the entire file and re-builds the TOC?
No, Sigil scans the file when you open the TOC editor or when you save as epub.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
No, Sigil scans the file when you open the TOC editor or when you save as epub.
Thanks for the clarity.
I was trying to figure why the setting of a header property took over a minute. The cursor is not changed to , the "time, wait" .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:44 AM   #20
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Like I've said, it can't be preserved for technical reasons.
Gotcha. I thought at first you meant it couldn't preserve the original TOC because of the way you have Sigil setup. So I thought maybe there could be like an on and off switch where the user can decide to go with the way you have it or just keep the original.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Sara@PAS
Sara@PAS began at the beginning.

Device: none
We are generating our epubs from Adobe InDesign CS4, and it seems to be creating TOCs with p tags, since InDesign doesn't actually do H1/H2 tags. Calibre handles this fine, but Sigil loses the entire TOC.

Any advice for us on how to get Sigil to read the headings? Or do we need to manually add those tags after exporting the epub?
Sara@PAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara@PAS View Post
We are generating our epubs from Adobe InDesign CS4, and it seems to be creating TOCs with p tags, since InDesign doesn't actually do H1/H2 tags. Calibre handles this fine, but Sigil loses the entire TOC.

Any advice for us on how to get Sigil to read the headings? Or do we need to manually add those tags after exporting the epub?
What do you mean by "creating TOCs with p tags"? Do you mean that chapter headings use p tags instead of h#?

If that is the case, then I'm sorry, but currently Sigil cannot create a TOC from this (and the original one isn't preserved). In the future, there will be support for original NCX preservation and editing, but currently you're stuck with heading tags.